NEWS Cameron Smith announces retirement

I think he's destroyed a lot of his legacy over the past few years, but what a fucking pleasure to have been able to see this guys entire career.

Absolutely an utterly remarkable player. When's the statue being put up at Lang Park?

He's got one that that looks nothing like him, like Thurston. That'll do.

Waits until it’s a day before season launch to announce his retirement. Gets all the limelight after milking the attention all off season. Bit of a douche move

I would like to know why he delayed a final decision until just recently. I won't buy into the butthurt reasons put forward because they're all uninformed. Unless you really knew him well( even then?) you would only be guessing.

I have a feeling that CS didn't know until very recently and was indeed weighing up some very serious offer(s) made by the Titans and the Broncos.

I've often heard that players wait until that 'something' tells them it's time, that they just know when it's stumps. It's a hard thing to give up when the game has defined you for so long.

I hoped he would go around again but that's unimportant. I wish him well in retirement as he joins the list of retired greats of the game. Deserves the accolades he has received. A true QLD LEGEND.

They still replaced him with the best available young option. I want to believe, but I just don't see it yet.

You simply can't replace legends. It'll happen.

You simply can't replace legends. It'll happen.
Grant just said give me the ball and gave QLD the opportunity to back their defence to win the series last year.

That try showed me he has 'it'. The only other hooker that is possibly more dangerous is Koroisau with Cook having a more muted role under Bennett.

They still replaced him with the best available young option. I want to believe, but I just don't see it yet.
Yeah Melbourne still have the best spine in the comp, and they’ve had that for over 10 years.

Grant just said give me the ball and gave QLD the opportunity to back their defence to win the series last year.

That try showed me he has 'it'. The only other hooker that is possibly more dangerous is Koroisau with Cook having a more muted role under Bennett.

Yes but that doesn't replace what a long term all time great brings to a club. Happened too many times to not be the norm.

Grant could certainly be the next great, but it will take time.

Yes but that doesn't replace what a long term all time great brings to a club. Happened too many times to not be the norm.

No doubt but he is likely already the best 9 in the game and is a rookie who will only get better.

Are you saying the broncos might have a chance of beating Melbourne now?

No doubt but he is likely already the best 9 in the game and is a rookie who will only get better.

Of course, and if he stays there long term, will lead them to glory.

But you simply can't account for losing all time greats imo - maybe they will prove us wrong. Hope not. Would certainly be unique.

Are you saying the broncos might have a chance of beating Melbourne now?

Nope.

I still don't get how Smith has 'ruined his legacy these past few years'.

Do people really think that people in 50 years time will be talking about how he dragged out his retirement announcement for 6 months, or that he dropped the Origin retirement bombshell too soon to the series that year?

They'll be talking about the most games for Club, State and Country ever. The highest point scorer ever, the premierships and the Qld Origin Dynasty that'll likely never be matched or beaten. Not to mention the individual awards on top of that - Dally Ms, Gold boots etc.

Most people in here wouldn't admit it, but if he did sign on this year for the Broncos, they'd all be crying like teenage girls in the 60s when the Beatles toured.

Active Now

• Socnorb
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bert_lifts
  • Manofoneway
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.