Can we talk about Gillett's trip?

It was stupid. Simple as that. I know other trips in the game go unpunished, but Gillett made his look obvious.

Gillett's hip made the contact and Thurston took a dive worthy of the soccer world cup. Lifting his leg was bloody stupid and made it look bad, so you can't really blame the referees for making the call.

Thurston milked it for all it was worth, but Gillo's motion after the contact made it look worse, and I can understand why the refs penalised it, which I would have no problem with if way more blatant trips had been penalised during the season, but yeah... we all know how consistent the NRL/Refs/Bunker/MRC/Judiciary are. :noidea:

It's being shown on Sky News if u wanna see Thurston's acting. Yes Gillett raises his leg but Thurston jumps over his butt and does a mini corkscrew on the way down that WWE would be proud of.

That's 2 weeks in a row he has dived because he did a wonderful dive in the 2nd half of the Storm game and the next set resulted in the cows 2nd try. Lucky Storm held on to win.

Doesn't matter if they played an extra 10 mins, I expect Cronulla to get raped by the refs next Friday. Hope I'm wrong about it.

Thurston milked it for all it was worth, but Gillo's motion after the contact made it look worse, and I can understand why the refs penalised it, which I would have no problem with if way more blatant trips had been penalised during the season, but yeah... we all know how consistent the NRL/Refs/Bunker/MRC/Judiciary are. :noidea:

See, this is the thing - I don't deny that he tripped him, but this shit rarely gets pulled up during the season. Like you said Port, there has been far more obvious efforts at tripping that have been let go.

Why are they ruling on it all of a sudden?

One rule for one team, another rule for the other.

I don't blame the refs for our loss last night, but this has been the worst season I can remember for inconsistent refereeing.

Regarding Thurston. It's x1000 worse if you live in Sydney. He has no doubt taken over Andrew Johns in the wankfest levels down here.

Last edited:
It was a dive and was always going to be given a penalty, what was the count 6 - 0 or 6 - 1 penalty count in favour of the Cowboys whos defence camped in our attack all second half. We were never going to be allowed to win this, just happy despite the refs rapping us in the second 40 to get the Cows over the line we still hung in there and should have won it.

It was a dive and was always going to be given a penalty, what was the count 6 - 0 or 6 - 1 penalty count in favour of the Cowboys whos defence camped in our attack all second half. We were never going to be allowed to win this, just happy despite the refs rapping us in the second 40 to get the Cows over the line we still hung in there and should have won it.
It was a pretty heavy 'hip' that Gillett put into him.
He really didn't need to either as Hunt had him well and truly covered on the inside.

See, this is the thing - I don't deny that he tripped him, but this shit rarely gets pulled up during the season. Like you said Port, there has been far more obvious efforts at tripping that have been let go.

Why are they ruling on it all of a sudden?

One rule for one team, another rule for the other.

I don't blame the refs for our loss last night, but this has been the worst season I can remember for inconsistent refereeing.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel.

To be honest, I can't help but think if another player on any other team does that same thing at the same time in the same type of match, it doesn't get called, and the commentators say stuff like, 'The refs aren't going to blow that penalty. Nothing in it. It's been too good of a contest to let it come down to something like that.'

Also, on the commentators - Hurrell's kick is a ridiculous penalty because it's a act of desperation. Gillett's desperate trip, though, fair call.

Parker pretty curt when asked about the trip. He looked filthy.

So we know Gillett has been charged. Not sure of the points but he should probably go to the judiciary and clear his points out early next year.

It was milked but it was a trip and it did cost us the game. We were 2 ahead and a few minutes to play. What worries me more is we have just signed Gillette for 4 years and the way hes playing he looks like he cant give us 2 more years let alone 4. I hope he proves me wrong, but its a lot of coin for some one who hardly gets over 80m lately. His defence might be his meal ticket but for 500k a year you need to attack and defend.

Last edited:
We also need to use him better in attack. Once a year he gets a ball into a gap, rest of the time it's flat footed and he has to dance a jig

It was milked but it was a trip and it did cost us the game. We were 2 ahead and a few minutes to play. What worries me more is we have just signed Gillette for 4 years and the way hes playing he looks like he cant give us 2 more years let alone 4. I hope he proves me wrong, but its a lot of coin for some one who hardly gets over 80m lately. His defence might be his meal ticket but for 500k a year you need to attack and defend.
Maybe he just needs someone capable of utilising his talent in attack...

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Rookie Alan
  • Skyblues87
  • Waynesaurus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • broncs30
  • RolledOates
  • bb_gun
  • broncotville
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • broncoscope
  • Dash
  • Maddy
  • winslow_wong
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.