NEWS Captain Milf, for sure

Taking the captaincy off Wally and given it to Gene Miles certainly caused some controversy back then and it seems so long ago but clearly indicates how far we’ve fallen. Milfords performances are so inconsistent and should be detrimental in him becoming captain of anything let alone captain of the Broncos.

not sure if been mentioned but dobbo did say on tripple m yesterday morning that glen will be named captain. he seemed pretty positive on it and to be honest dobbo has not got much wrong over the last few years regarding broncos

That’s be a bloody shame. Glenn is barely good enough to be on the bench these days.
from memory that was pretty much exact words marto used. think dobbo replied with the general pr talk of inexperience side still a good player and will be expected to play 80 minutes bar injury. so it does sound like he got the info directly form kevie himself or someone closely involved with coaching staff.

think then mentioned next year is when there will be huge changes made etc.

Last edited:
not sure if been mentioned but dobbo did say on tripple m yesterday morning that glen will be named captain. he seemed pretty positive on it and to be honest dobbo has not got much wrong over the last few years regarding broncos
We must be going with a leadership group because so far Dobbo has named Macca, Milf and Glenn as captain

We must be going with a leadership group because so far Dobbo has named Macca, Milf and Glenn as captain
unsure i have heard dobbo say those other names weeks ago but on radio other day he was pretty much 100% sure it was going to be glen so yea guess we shall see

from memory that was pretty much exact words marto used. think dobbo replied with the general pr talk of inexperience side still a good player and will be expected to play 80 minutes bar injury. so it does sound like he got the info directly form kevie himself or someone closely involved with coaching staff.

think then mentioned next year is when there will be huge changes made etc.
Marto thinks it’s a bad idea? I’m all for it then. That flog wouldn’t know his arse from his elbow.

Taking the captaincy off Wally and given it to Gene Miles certainly caused some controversy back then and it seems so long ago but clearly indicates how far we’ve fallen. Milfords performances are so inconsistent and should be detrimental in him becoming captain of anything let alone captain of the Broncos.
I agree with this. Moses Mbye has recently handed his captaincy back at the Tigers. Mbye said there was no sense trying to help other blokes when he hadn't got his own game sorted. Sam Thaiday was given the captaincy prematurely which effected his form, and reluctantly gave it back to concentrate on his form as the responsibility was too much.

The suggestion the captaincy might light a fire under Milford when he clearly hasn't got his game sorted is wishful thinking in my opinion.

You're spot on @McHunt, it's just so hard to tell if this is a journo extrapolating a throwaway line selectively to drum up a story, but if it is true it's a pretty strong indication that our Captain likely won't be Alex Glenn, and is a fair chance to be Anthony Milford.

Granted, Glenn is unlikely to be in our side by 2022, but he's at least the incumbent Captain. If we name him we're at least giving some stability until he likely retires. Relative to this, naming Milford is possibly as risky as naming Macca. Both guys could well be gone at the end of this season unless they have dramatic turnarounds in form. This is certainly a slim possibility for Milford, but you certainly wouldn't like to be betting your life on it based on current evidence. For Macca it seems outright fanciful.

The revolving door of Captains is a terrible look and not good for team morale, the sooner it stops the better. Lets give the guys a chance to put their hands up this year while Glenn is still around and then worry about his replacement once Milford or Carrigan or Lodge or whoever it is longer term actually put some runs on the board this year.
Yep. Agreed it should be Alex Glenn. This is really not that difficult of a decision. Carrigan still very young, Milford needs to get his form sorted, and Lodge may let the captaincy go to his head.

I've read Lodge has an attitude problem in being a bit of a know at all. Telling players what weights they should be lifting, how pumped up the balls should be, when the players should have day off and so forth. Not sure if handing him the captaincy would be the wisest decision.

I've read Lodge has an attitude problem in being a bit of a know at all. Telling players what weights they should be lifting, how pumped up the balls should be, when the players should have day off and so forth. Not sure if handing him the captaincy would be the wisest decision.

do you have some sort of source for that ...

because everything i've seen is that his team mates look up to him and literally the only thing that stopped him getting the captaincy is the PR nightmare that would accompany it

Has a team ever named no captain? I'd be tempted to do this just to show them that they're so far below an NRL team that none deserve to be an NRL captain, let alone the Broncos. If the ref asks our captain to make a decision or consult with the ref, call Alfie up.
Big fan of this idea.

We can wait long enough into the season to see if anyone cares enough to take it.

do you have some sort of source for that ...

because everything i've seen is that his team mates look up to him and literally the only thing that stopped him getting the captaincy is the PR nightmare that would accompany it
It was written by Paul Kent in the Courier Mail and the snippet is below. People can deride the source if they must. The problem is some people deride the source and suggest they have a better source which is themselves. I'm not suggesting you believe everything in the media, but I am suggesting sometimes every source can't just be dismissed either because you don't like the journalist.

"The troublesome one is Matt Lodge.
Lodge at one point was being positioned to captain the club two seasons ago even though Anthony Seibold was being told by anyone he spoke to that Lodge was not a Broncos captain.

The board had said no, his assistants said no, yet Seibold pressed ahead.

If ever there was a caption for how the Broncos went wrong this was it.

Seibold’s push was a recognition that Lodge was the dominant character in the playing group. He held great sway over the players, as if that was enough.

It wasn’t, of course.

Lodge is anti-authority. He is a strong personality and a tremendous player but even this season his influence over the group began to steer them wrong.

He was a strong voice on how the team should train and how it should play, what weights they should do, how much training was enough, when they needed a day off, how much air should go in the ball …

When his path with Seibold began to differ Lodge should have recognised it as any player would and bowed to the boss but instead it became a burr all season.

Walters doesn’t coach that way.

That said, he worked briefly with Lodge in 2018 and found him agreeable enough so, pressed on Monday on the name that keeps coming up, Walters did not say Lodge will be among the changes — but admitted he is on his to-do list.

“I’m going to sit down with him and see where he is at,” Walters says.

Lodge is destined to become the first test case at the new-look Broncos."

Matt Lodge on chopping block as Kevin Walters cuts Brisbane Broncos roster | The Courier Mail

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • something
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • whykickamoocow
  • Rookie Alan
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.