Chris Walker says what we're all thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're a blight on the game but kudos to them for being so successful at it. As many have said, they are just working within the rules, however IMO they are absolutely filthy in the tackle with pressure points, holds and they way they immobilise players arms and heads.

Manly aren't too far behind them and it's a shame that these tactics have gone a long way to making them the two most successful teams this year.

Storm are NOT the only ones that use these 'tactics' but they are definitely one of the worst offenders - if not the worst. Most of all they started it - and it ended up being "if you can't beat them - join them" ... sort of.

Melbourne are incredibly textbook, to be frank - boring. This is masked by Billy the Kid (and GI before he left) because he is a freak. Though as they say, winning is never boring. Personally I think they are a lot better now in terms of entertainment. Maybe that is just me.

Overall - I'm not the biggest Storm fan but as long as they don't use 'grapples, crushers etc' I'm indifferent - you can still beat them with positive footy, but you just need to be on your game.

And for those in Victardia who the NRL are aiming to draw in with the storm, it does exactly what you said.. Turns them away.

AFL may be all kick and clap, gimme a point cause i missed garbage. But it's a hell of A lot more exciting than the Storm.

No i don't think so...I can't get into AFL in any shape or form. Have even been dragged to the Gabba to see the Lions play in Brissie but..nuh!

The main reason Melbourne has trouble recruiting more NRL fans down here is because of the FA TV coverage - and I mean ziltch even for their own team? And for turning the fans away - they love Melbournes "stonewall" defence. But I don't care what team you're barracking for you just want fair coverage of sport across the board no matter what State you live in. Sometimes I think the AFL is scared of the NRL getting a firm foot hold down here? And for a team doing so well with so little support it's a credit to 'em. The sporting capitol of the world - what a F*****G joke!:ranting:

I agree up to a point with the Walker statement but as has been said, anyone and everyone is free to use the same tactics. I live in Melbourne now but I'll barrack for the Broncs firstly and any other Qld side before the Storm. Storm play really well and while they might over do it with their wrestling tackle style, I enjoy watching their defence just as much as their attack. If the Broncs were doing it you'd be over the moon for their defending. And anyway this'll just make beating them so much sweeter!!!

"No respect or love for the game"? They play good footy IMO and football has changed in lots of areas over the last decade or so. Some of it i agree with some of it i don't. Tough, you can't expect everything to be the way you want it. I'm more pissed off with some changes in the way the game is refed, the video calls and especially the whole grounding of the ball issues but nothing's perfect. Maybe beating the storm will be pretty close to it though! :smile:

It's live on Gem now. Finally nine are using the rights and broadcasting the game around the country. The Lions suck though watch Collingwood in AFL a real team. Great post by the way.

Pity they can't show the test live on gem.

It's live on Gem now. Finally nine are using the rights and broadcasting the game around the country. The Lions suck though watch Collingwood in AFL a real team. Great post by the way.

Pity collingwood couldn't beat the lions when it mattered

The Lions are a joke now. Poorly coached and poor co-ordination.

Yep, but we still beat your bogans in the big one....twice

Pity this isn't an AFL forum, or I might just give a ****.

Lions dominance is ancient history. Looking forward to the Collingwood game at the Gabba and watch them smash the Lions. I'd rather take 15 premierships over 3 any day.

So anyway. Topic at hand.

Lions dominance is ancient history. Looking forward to the Collingwood game at the Gabba and watch them smash the Lions. I'd rather take 15 premierships over 3 any day.

The lions have 11 premierships BTW

Please make that last post be the LAST post on gayfl.

Walkers opinion is hardly valid. Outdated and motivated by personal anger at Melbourne and seized on by some media twerp desperate to get some attention. AP is correct that most, but not all the angry sentiments here are due to tall poppy syndrome. You haters want to blame Melbourne over and over and over for high-lighting something you could never accept. That being the fact that Melbourne were better than your guys across the park. Better every time first, better everytime a rule was changed, better overall. Weirdly you think it was because they were paid more...what a joke. As if money bestows ability lol.

Within the league world the Storm and their systems are the envy of all the other clubs save one.I reckon they deserve to have success and no penalty imposed by the despotic NRL admins of the past will change my view of them as champions of their winning years.

Except for 2006 right? What a stupid thing to say BTW. Nobody here thinks Melb players played better because they got more money.

We think Melb kept the players they wanted because they spent more than they were allowed under the rules while other sides struggled to keep theirs while keeping to the rules.

Please make that last post be the LAST post on gayfl.

Walkers opinion is hardly valid. Outdated and motivated by personal anger at Melbourne and seized on by some media twerp desperate to get some attention. AP is correct that most, but not all the angry sentiments here are due to tall poppy syndrome. You haters want to blame Melbourne over and over and over for high-lighting something you could never accept. That being the fact that Melbourne were better than your guys across the park. Better every time first, better everytime a rule was changed, better overall. Weirdly you think it was because they were paid more...what a joke. As if money bestows ability lol.

Within the league world the Storm and their systems are the envy of all the other clubs save one.I reckon they deserve to have success and no penalty imposed by the despotic NRL admins of the past will change my view of them as champions of their winning years.
It's not about how much they earn individually. I'm sure Cronk, Smith, Slater and Inglis were worth every single cent they were being paid. It's the fact they had an infair advantage over other teams who have to shed players to stay within the cap. I only need one example to illustrate this:

Melbourne DELIBERATLY chose to rort the salary cap to keep Smith, otherwise he would've gone to the Titans. Yet, removing Smith's salary in its entirety wouldn't have been enough to bring the Storm back to a legal roster. They would've had to shed either another one of their stars or 3 or 4 other players to be salary cap compliant.
I very much doubt that the Storm would've been so dominant without Smith and a few others... Manly put 40 on you when you played them without Smith!

And, as Dexter says, we still beat you when it counted in 2006! :finger:

"your guys" kind of suggests non-broncos fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Alec
  • Culhwch
  • Skathen
  • armchair
  • FACTHUNT
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • heartly87
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behold
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.