Coaches

• Thread starter matthewransom34@ic
  • Start date
M

matthewransom34@ic

Apr 21, 2024
Hi, thanks for welcoming me in the fold here. Game week nerves are starting to hit me, but looking forward to another win.

Anyway being as I have only known Kevvie as coach and the fact that I love what he has done for the club since I started watching us. I was hoping to hear your views on previous coaches. Especially Bennett being as he was a huge part of the club, but any thoughts on any regime with be brilliant.

Up the Broncos!

I had huge love for Bennett for the longest time, and he is clearly one of the greatest coaches of all time - arguably the greatest. But I really can't stand him any more. Built the club into what it is through it's first couple of decades.

I don't really have strong memories of Henjak's time at the helm. One good year, one bad year, and goneski.

My strongest memory of the Hook era was the constant feeling that if we were in front we wouldn't hold the lead, and if we were behind we'd never make up the points.

Siebold. Less said the better.

Bennett's first stint, classic Broncos.

Henjak was the worst. Only time I ever left before fulltime was one of the games under him.

Hook, meh. As his time at the Dragons and Penrith shows, he can develop players but he can't get any creativity going in the team.

Bennett's second stint. Much better than Hook and Henjak but not as good as his first stint.

Siebold got the rough end of the pineapple IMO. He's a better coach than he gets credit for but he was doomed from the get go. Who the hell signs a coach two seasons before they can start? It was just pure destablisation from White and the board and then from Kevvie's supporters.

At least Kevvie has avoided the WB curse by not succeeding him so maybe Siebold was a necessary sacrifice.

At least Kevvie has avoided the WB curse by not succeeding him so maybe Siebold was a necessary sacrifice.

Animated GIF

WB = hero
Henjak = tried too hard to do things his own way. Cost us Inglis IMO (seem to recall some thing floating around wherein Hodges told him what a shit coach he was)
Hook = basically just a shit version of Bennett. Q Cup god though.
Seibold = Probably a bit unlucky he inherited a basket case but he did himself no favours and deserved to be ousted. Pies.
Walters = brought the pride back to the jersey. Is probably already the 2nd best coach in Broncos history.

WB = hero
Henjak = tried too hard to do things his own way. Cost us Inglis IMO (seem to recall some thing floating around wherein Hodges told him what a shit coach he was)
Hook = basically just a shit version of Bennett. Q Cup god though.
Seibold = Probably a bit unlucky he inherited a basket case but he did himself no favours and deserved to be ousted. Pies.
Walters = brought the pride back to the jersey. Is probably already the 2nd best coach in Broncos history.
One thing I would love to see is Bennet come back to the club he built and it all be good again. It's such a shame to see him at ends with the place.

Kevy easily the second best coach the club has had behind bennet. Just incredible to see how well he has done.

One thing I would love to see is Bennet come back to the club he built and it all be good again. It's such a shame to see him at ends with the place.

Kevy easily the second best coach the club has had behind bennet. Just incredible to see how well he has done.

Bennett got absolutely messed around by our club, no two ways about it but he wasn't innocent in it all and put a lot of fans, including me, offside with the way he went about it as well. I hope he never has anything to do with the Broncs again, we've thankfully moved on and in Kevvie we trust.

Bennett got absolutely messed around by our club, no two ways about it but he wasn't innocent in it all and put a lot of fans, including me, offside with the way he went about it as well. I hope he never has anything to do with the Broncs again, we've thankfully moved on and in Kevvie we trust.
Yeah I don't want him in an official capacity. But the fact he won't even turn up to the reunion of the premiership year team lunch is sad

Yeah I don't want him in an official capacity. But the fact he won't even turn up to the reunion of the premiership year team lunch is sad

That's his problem if so. Thankfully our club is like chalk and cheese from that appalling era and if Bennett can't get over the hurt, fair enough but so be it, he shared a fair chunk of the blame.

I have a lot of respect for Bennett and his achievements, he is clearly one of the greatest coaches to ever sit in the box, but in recent times he has begun to think his farts smell like roses. Absolutely loves to hand his gigs over to blokes who he knows are nuffies so he inevitably looks better by comparison. Gods be with the Sushi if they seek out his input on his own successor.

Case in point, Henjak. Stubborn, mediocre, unable or unwilling to connect with the players and thoroughly out of his depth. The fact he was a one and done coach speaks volumes.

Griffin knew how to develop young blokes but didn't have a clue about anything else. Uninspiring, knew nothing about footy tactics and structures and as a result relied on immortals like Lockyer to make up the difference. As soon as Locky was gone, the proof was in the pudding. Really needs to lay off the Xanax.

Seibold was a disaster. Inherited a piss poor squad full of washups and lazy deadshits like Milford, TPJ and Fifita, couldn't recruit worth shit to fix said squad, allowed the culture to fester as he was in the corner of the room sucking his thumb, hiding from the very intense scrutiny of coaching the Brisbane Broncos. The crowded field of coaching in NSW allows him the breathing space to just fly under the radar.

i loved the seibold burning the boats era… what an inspired piece of coaching.

I lost all my love for Wayne. I should have seen it coming with the way he handled potentially going to Sydney Roosters in 2005ish.

Also, how old was Bennett when we shafted him for being too old? Now souffs want to roll out the red carpet until he’s infinity.

Love what’s happening at the moment, but we would never have received our spoon and more than likely imo be on a similar if not better trajectory had that debacle never taken place.

❤️ kevvie tho

Also, how old was Bennett when we shafted him for being too old? Now souffs want to roll out the red carpet until he’s infinity.

Love what’s happening at the moment, but we would never have received our spoon and more than likely imo be on a similar if not better trajectory had that debacle never taken place.

❤️ kevvie tho

How exactly could we be on a better trajectory than what we currently are?

How exactly could we be on a better trajectory than what we currently are?
Wouldn’t have spent 3 years with shit coaching/ emotional scarring

Wouldn’t have spent 3 years with shit coaching/ emotional scarring

May not have made the players appreciate the good times as much either though. All ifs and buts of course but our current trajectory looks pretty outstanding, should already be premiers.

Bennett could take on the Women's side?
It's a win win he's back at the club but Kevs still gets to do things his way.

Bennetts first stint was blessed with talent, enough to cover any mistakes he made. Everyone was in love with Bennett during the golden age.

Henjack was the end of the dynasty. Terrible.

Hook. Never really clawed our way back, just a middling meh coach. There was no where but down with him.

Benetts second stint wasnt glorious, some finals spankings, plenty of big losses to Melbourne and handed Seibold probably the worst Broncos teams he could have recieved.

Siebold got rooted pretty bad with the big rule changes and the roster he was left with. Didn't help himself by sticking with some serious plodders. Hope he does well at Manly.

Kevie just seems to say all the right things. He's an actual role model of a person, and he's surrounding himself with the right people. He seems to take on player input from players who are students of the game. R&R seems to be the best it has been in over a decade. Everyone is believing in the Broncos again.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • theshed
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • thenry
  • Jedhead
  • Broncorob
  • Manofoneway
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • Lostboy
  • Morkel
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.