NEWS Cobbo 'could play anywhere': Slater coy on super-sub

BHQArticleImageLarge70

Queensland coach Billy Slater has added to the mystery around how he will use super-sub Selwyn Cobbo in the State of Origin series opener.

The 21-year-old Brisbane powerhouse can play wing, fullback and centre, and has told Slater he is prepared to turn out as a middle forward if required against NSW in Sydney on Wednesday night.

The Maroons have not traditionally carried an outside back on the bench, but in four of the last six Origin games they've had to replace at least one during the match.

Slater has a plan to inject Cobbo - but is not about to reveal it.

"It's a game of footy. There are risks everywhere, but they are calculated decisions," Slater said when asked if Cobbo's selection was a risk.

"This is what we feel is best for our footy team.

"There doesn't have to be an injury for Selwyn to be on the field. He will be out there. I'm looking forward to him getting his game on.

"We have a plan around injecting Selwyn into the game. We are across that. I'm not going to stand here and tell you all exactly how.

"I would love to tell all our Queenslanders how we are going to play, but that's what makes it exciting."

Slater said Cobbo could "play anywhere".

"He is a big body and a wonderful player, so he may pop up anywhere," Slater said.

Maroons captain Daly Cherry-Evans was an Origin super-sub in his formative years and reckoned Cobbo would do a stellar job whenever he was called on.

"With the super-sub role there are two things that are really important," he said.

"You put the team first and you bring your strengths to the team. If Selwyn does that he is going to be fine.

"Selwyn is a talent. He is just a footy player. Any time he's played for Queensland he's done a fantastic job.

"I am really confident in him. He has got a good energy about him. We love playing with Selwyn Cobbo."

Slater has forged a strong bond with fullback Reece Walsh and is excited for what the Brisbane No.1 can bring to the table in his first Origin match in Sydney.

"I just have to help Reece be him and be as good as he can," Slater said.

"Reece has a great want to be the best he can be and sometimes that gets lost," Slater said.

"He has a great work ethic, he is really respectful, he loves his footy and loves this (Maroons) colour and his state.

"I'm like five-and-a-half million Queenslanders. I am looking forward to watching Reece Walsh play out there tomorrow night.

"He is 21 years old. We all mature with experience and he is going to grow.

"He is a wonderful player now and will be an even better player next year and in five years' time."

Canberra Times

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I just love the fact that on the weekend they were asking as many Maroons players as they could where Cobbo would play.

They ask Hunt and he says that he's been practicing in the middle. Cue laughter. So they ask Collins and he says that he's been working on his timing to take the first run from the kick-off.

They are giving nothing away but also feeding the secrecy. I'm sure it will be nothing near ground-breaking, he's there for cover and maybe a stint in the middle with him possibly chiming in on some attacking plays. But it would legit be getting in NSW's heads.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I just love the fact that on the weekend they were asking as many Maroons players as they could where Cobbo would play.

They ask Hunt and he says that he's been practicing in the middle. Cue laughter. So they ask Collins and he says that he's been working on his timing to take the first run from the kick-off.

They are giving nothing away but also feeding the secrecy. I'm sure it will be nothing near ground-breaking, he's there for cover and maybe a stint in the middle with him possibly chiming in on some attacking plays. But it would legit be getting in NSW's heads.
Yeah NSW are freaking out about how he could play or where he's going to play... they keep asking Cronk who looks like he's throwing up smokescreens by saying he might come on in the outside backs... that seems very unlikely.

I am really interested to see how Cobbo is used... Billy is a student of the game and I think having a '2nd fullback' is a potential tactic that coaches haven't really figured out how to implement as yet, but if someone can it could be Billy.

Defences are getting used to seeing the same shape a lot, so if Billy can get a second fullback working it could really open up coaching tactics moving forward.... especially if he can get it working from the bench.

Turbo in 2021 is cited a lot as he was floating from center and chiming in through the middle... and it tore Qld apart... but we've never really seen it again. Every now and then a centre will pop up on the other side of the field, but it's not really happening in the same way that Turbo did it that game.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I am really interested to see how Cobbo is used... Billy is a student of the game and I think having a '2nd fullback' is a potential tactic that coaches haven't really figured out how to implement as yet, but if someone can it could be Billy.
A football brain made up of Billy, JT and Cam.......

You just know they've got something figured out. 😉

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Turbo in 2021 is cited a lot as he was floating from center and chiming in through the middle... and it tore Qld apart... but we've never really seen it again. Every now and then a centre will pop up on the other side of the field, but it's not really happening in the same way that Turbo did it that game.

This is what I envision when I think of how Cob loaf is going to be used. Turbo was on the field for 80mins though so not sure how Billy is going to implement it.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.