OFFICIAL Congrats Alex Glenn Captain 2020

Kurt Gidley says hi.

LOL jks. IMO Glenn is needed to start with Gillett gone, even without the c next to his name he is a reliable workhouse with a level head.

It's a good call, he's been a leader on the field for a long time.
We certainly need to prioritise tightening up our defence so I think Glenn starting on an edge is really a no brainer. TPJ can still be effective as a Middle Forward but having Glenn out there definitely tightens up our defence on that left side.

There isn't a guy who deserves it more. One of our best and most consistent for years. What a legend.
This thread deserves an OFFICIAL tag.

Courier Mail is reporting this as the top story right now:
"BOYD OUT AS BRONCOS UNVEIL NEW SKIPPER"

They don't appear to have any more info than that twitter release, or it's embargoed.

Last edited:
Another pointer that this might be Boyd's last season.
Being realistic, he's probably going to need something miraculous to see out this season in full, let alone the season after that.
[automerge]1579818657[/automerge]
This thread deserves an OFFICIAL tag.

Courier Mail is reporting this as the top story right now:
"BOYD OUT AS BRONCOS UNVEIL NEW SKIPPER"

They don't appear to have any more info than that twitter release, or it's embargoed.
I think it says a lot about where we're at with the Courier Mail that the punting of Boyd is the priority of that headline, rather than commending Glenn on his achievement.

Last edited:
9D3FAC77 CD60 4D04 B0C4 FD885D5A8EC4

I think it says a lot about where we're at with the Courier Mail that the punting of Boyd is the priority of that headline, rather than commending Glenn on his achievement.

That's the screamer. The story itself has this heading:

NRL 2020: Alex Glenn named captain of the Brisbane Broncos

Last edited:
One-club hero Alex Glenn will lead the Broncos into the future after being named club captain for the 2020 NRL season today.

Glenn was captain of the Broncos’ original National Youth Competition team back in 2008 and now 12 years later he has assumed the top post for the club.

He replaces Darius Boyd, who will stay on in the Broncos’ leadership group and provide important direction for the club’s next generation of players.

Glenn was anointed into the role by Broncos’ chief executive Paul White and head coach Anthony Seibold this morning.

Seibold said Glenn’s attention to detail and natural leadership skills made him the perfect choice to pilot the club into the future.

“Alex is a leader through his actions and has been a role model for our club for over a decade,” he said.

“His consistency in his preparation and performance is an example to our group.

“Consistency is what we are all striving for, and he is an example of someone whose best performance and his worst performance are very close.

“He will represent our club in the highest regard both on and off the field.”

Seibold said Glenn would be assisted in his captaincy by a group of players that includes both Darius Boyd and the next generation of leadership.

“Alex takes over from Darius, who is a legend of our club and maintains a leadership position within our squad,” he said.

“His job will also entail developing our next group of leaders in Matt Lodge, Pat Carrigan, Brodie Croft, Tevita Pangai and Payne Haas.”

White said Glenn’s rise to the position was testament to his longevity in the game and his commitment to his values both on and off the field.

“It is wonderful that someone who has shown such a long-term commitment to the Broncos will now become our club captain,” said White.

“Alex has been with us since he was a teenager and is favourite of the members, our supporters, sponsors, and of course his teammates.

“That our original under-20s captain has now become the club captain is a fantastic story for both Alex, his family, and the Brisbane Broncos club.”

Glenn, a father to children Miller and Giselle with partner Jemma, said he was ecstatic to be named skipper of the club he has now played 259 matches since making his NRL debut back in 2009.

“I am so honoured to be named captain of this great club,” said Glenn.

“When I arrived here as a teenager I was just hoping I could somehow get a chance to play in the NRL.

“To be sitting here as someone who has been named captain is simply mind blowing.

“I want to thank all the members and fans who have shown me wonderful support over the past 12 years.

“I would also like to thank all my teammates and all my coaches who have contributed over that time.

“My only promise now is that I will do my very best to make all the wonderful players that have come before me proud of the Brisbane Broncos.”

From the Broncos email.

One-club hero Alex Glenn will lead the Broncos into the future after being named club captain for the 2020 NRL season today.

Glenn was captain of the Broncos’ original National Youth Competition team back in 2008 and now 12 years later he has assumed the top post for the club.

He replaces Darius Boyd, who will stay on in the Broncos’ leadership group and provide important direction for the club’s next generation of players.

Glenn was anointed into the role by Broncos’ chief executive Paul White and head coach Anthony Seibold this morning.

Seibold said Glenn’s attention to detail and natural leadership skills made him the perfect choice to pilot the club into the future.

“Alex is a leader through his actions and has been a role model for our club for over a decade,” he said.

“His consistency in his preparation and performance is an example to our group.

“Consistency is what we are all striving for, and he is an example of someone whose best performance and his worst performance are very close.

“He will represent our club in the highest regard both on and off the field.”

Seibold said Glenn would be assisted in his captaincy by a group of players that includes both Darius Boyd and the next generation of leadership.

“Alex takes over from Darius, who is a legend of our club and maintains a leadership position within our squad,” he said.

“His job will also entail developing our next group of leaders in Matt Lodge, Pat Carrigan, Brodie Croft, Tevita Pangai and Payne Haas.”

White said Glenn’s rise to the position was testament to his longevity in the game and his commitment to his values both on and off the field.

“It is wonderful that someone who has shown such a long-term commitment to the Broncos will now become our club captain,” said White.

“Alex has been with us since he was a teenager and is favourite of the members, our supporters, sponsors, and of course his teammates.

“That our original under-20s captain has now become the club captain is a fantastic story for both Alex, his family, and the Brisbane Broncos club.”

Glenn, a father to children Miller and Giselle with partner Jemma, said he was ecstatic to be named skipper of the club he has now played 259 matches since making his NRL debut back in 2009.

“I am so honoured to be named captain of this great club,” said Glenn.

“When I arrived here as a teenager I was just hoping I could somehow get a chance to play in the NRL.

“To be sitting here as someone who has been named captain is simply mind blowing.

“I want to thank all the members and fans who have shown me wonderful support over the past 12 years.

“I would also like to thank all my teammates and all my coaches who have contributed over that time.

“My only promise now is that I will do my very best to make all the wonderful players that have come before me proud of the Brisbane Broncos.” [http://image] SEE THE VIDEO [http://image] Contact us
1300 GO BRONCOS
membermail@broncos.com.au
broncos.com.au If you would like to continue receiving communications from the Brisbane Broncos, please add us to your Address Book / Contacts List, these will go directly to your inbox.

Manage my preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Well, well.. How good!
Finally the club has taken action.
Well deserved for Alex, I think he will relish with this opportunity.
It'll be interesting to see how Darius handles it though, hopefully it is the clubs way of telling him his days are numbered in first grade.

Last edited:
Congratulations Alex Glenn, lead by going hard like a man possessed , you've got some exciting teammates to work with , good luck . Go The Broncos

Long overdue. He’s not a superstar, though he’s far better than most seem to rate him, and as always he’s ever consistent.

He’s been one of my favourite players for years and I’m stoked for him. Really proud to have him as our captain.

Seibold has made yet another good decision regarding team make up. I’m really excited for the future of our club.

Pretty much what you want in a captain. Loyal, a hard worker, consistent performer, clean skin, represents the club well, great clubman, puts the team first, popular with the team and fan base and genuine good bloke. He seems like a bloke the whole club can rally behind.

Bravo . Better late than never. Not sure where all the ‘wont be in the starting side’ came from. First choice left edge and first name on my team sheet.

Pretty much what you want in a captain. Loyal, a hard worker, consistent performer, clean skin, represents the club well, great clubman, puts the team first, popular with the team and fan base and genuine good bloke. He seems like a bloke the whole club can rally behind.

you forgot to mention his beauty.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Astro
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ezpz
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.