Badel Warning Contract clause puts Anthony Milford on open market early

Ponga01

QCup Player
Contract clause puts Anthony Milford on open market early

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
May 24, 2019 6:30pm
Subscriber only

Anthony Milford has become an open target for NRL rivals with a clause in his $1 million-a-season contract allowing the star Broncos five-eighth to field formal offers later this year.

As Milford prepares for Saturday night’s Broncos-Warriors clash in Auckland, The Courier-Mail can reveal the Origin ace’s mega four-year Broncos deal contains a 12-month option in his favour.

It means Milford can test his value on the open market from November 1 this year – a worrying scenario at a time when the Broncos face salary-cap pressures to retain off-contract quartet Tevita Pangai Jr, Corey Oates, Andrew McCullough and Jake Turpin.

Milford is not the only Bronco with an option in his favour, with big-name teammates Jack Bird, Matt Lodge and skipper Darius Boyd also technically free agents next year.

When Brisbane trumpeted Milford’s retention in May 2017, the club announced a straight four-year contract, until the end of 2021, which made the precocious pivot the highest-paid player in Broncos history.

But Milford’s deal is actually three years with the fourth and final year an option in his favour – accelerating the prospect of a poaching threat for Brisbane’s most talented attacking player.

There is no suggestion Milford is unhappy at the Broncos, but his manager on Friday confirmed the structure of the contract gives the 24-year-old the flexibility to explore his options.

“Anthony’s contract situation does mean that he can have formal talks with clubs from November 1 this year,” his manager Sam Ayoub said.

“The Broncos have been very good to him and it’s quite possible that Anthony will want to extend his stay there, but at the same time every player has to weigh up their options.

“At the time (of brokering his current deal), we had discussions about whether to negotiate a three or four-year deal and it was agreed to do three years with an option in Anthony’s favour.

“Having that option means Anthony can be approached at the end of the season.”

It is debatable whether Milford could earn more on the open market.

But the Broncos have been blindsided before, most notably two years ago when the Dragons tabled an extraordinary $6 million deal to poach Milford’s then halves partner Ben Hunt.

Adding to the intrigue, Bird and Boyd were believed to be locked in until the end of 2021, but the pair both have options in their favour, meaning they are off-contract next

Lodge has a two-year option in his favour. If he chooses to activate it, he would remain at Brisbane until the end of 2022.

The salary cap will make it difficult for the Broncos to retain everyone, but Ayoub believes the emergence of halfback Tom Dearden will help the Broncos keep Milford.

“There would be no shortage of interest in Anthony,” said Ayoub, who also manages Dearden.

“The salary cap is always rising, but Milford has now found his groove alongside Dearden. They really complement each other.

“Milford’s form has picked up since Tom has come in. There is less pressure on Anthony to manage the game ... he is at his best when he plays off the cuff and takes the running opportunities that he gets.”
Clause makes million-dollar Broncs star free agent

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/contract-clause-puts-anthony-milford-on-open-market-early/news-story/b5558b78bc2187535b4f82bedfd096cb

Last edited:

Stu_9

QCup Player
Goodluck to him if he can get 1mill+ at another club. When we look at re signing him, I would be downgrading him to 700-800k, unless his form goes thru the roof.
I like Milf, but he isn't a 1mill player at the moment.
Brisbane will be worried though, they won't want another B.Hunt situation playing out.

The Strapper

QCup Player
Goodluck to him if he can get 1mill+ at another club. When we look at re signing him, I would be downgrading him to 700-800k, unless his form goes thru the roof.
Brisbane will be worried though, they won't want another B.Hunt situation playing out.
Unlikely anyone will offer milf a ‘hunt’ type contract.
Everyone can see now St George paid overs for hunt so I can’t see it happening again with milf.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
He’s cheap at $1m

Tom

State of Origin Rep
There's only really 2 million dollar players. Cronk and Smith. The rest on that much coin are overpaid.

QCup Player
Cool story, but no one will pay over 1m, and worst case we pay 1m to retain him....Is he currently worth 1m, No, we are in box seat here. Badel not so smart!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter