Contracts up for grabs

Sorry mate, but it is you that is confused. the following come directly from the NRL website:

NRL Salary Cap explained - NRL.com

The source you quoted there is out dated from 2010, and not relevant any more, as I mentioned earlier things came to a head with the DCE backflip. This is the most recent documented I can find, from the now NRL CEO:

NRL Contract Rule
Tue 02 Jun, 2015, 3:01pm
NRL.com
Players will be given a maximum 10 day "cooling off period" for any contract they sign under a new rule proposed by the NRL.

Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said the current rule, that was introduced to allow clubs until round 13 to retain players who have signed with a rival club, will be scrapped.

Instead, a contract signed with a rival club will be registered once a 10 business day cooling off period expires.
Mr Greenberg said fans and clubs were frustrated with the "round 13" rule because it can create uncertainty and speculation for a long time after a contract has been signed.

"I think everyone agrees it is unseemly to have months of speculation about whether a player is going to a rival club," he said.
"Our view is a 10 day cooling off period is an acceptable solution for all involved."

The introduction of the new rule is subject to further consultation and approval from the Rugby League Players Association.
If approved, it will stipulate that:
• A player may sign an extension of his contract with his existing club at any time
A player may sign with a new club only during the final year of his contract
• A 10 business day cooling off period will apply to all contracts
• A club signing a player is prohibited from making an announcement until the cooling off period has expired

Mr Greenberg stressed that the proposed new rule will be an interim measure pending the outcome of Shane Richardson's "whole of game" review.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-contract-rule/tabid/10874/newsid/86727/default.aspx

Summarising from that, November 1 is not when contracts are registered... they are registered after the cooling off period. Players can't sign with another club until the final year of their contract, ie 1 November 2016 for contracts ending 2017, playing 2018. Its not clear in Toddy's statement about negotiating prior to the final year of contract, but I'll be up front here in that I have a family member NRL contracted... he was not allowed to talk to or negotiate with other clubs prior to 1 Nov under NRL rules. His "scumbag player agent" made it clear that that was a big no no. I can't find that written any where but I trust the word of people who do this shit for a living, but hey, could be wrong.

The source you quoted there is out dated from 2010, and not relevant any more, as I mentioned earlier things came to a head with the DCE backflip. This is the most recent documented I can find, from the now NRL CEO:

NRL Contract Rule
NRL.com
Players will be given a maximum 10 day "cooling off period" for any contract they sign under a new rule proposed by the NRL.

Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said the current rule, that was introduced to allow clubs until round 13 to retain players who have signed with a rival club, will be scrapped.

Instead, a contract signed with a rival club will be registered once a 10 business day cooling off period expires.
Mr Greenberg said fans and clubs were frustrated with the "round 13" rule because it can create uncertainty and speculation for a long time after a contract has been signed.

"I think everyone agrees it is unseemly to have months of speculation about whether a player is going to a rival club," he said.
"Our view is a 10 day cooling off period is an acceptable solution for all involved."

The introduction of the new rule is subject to further consultation and approval from the Rugby League Players Association.
• A player may sign an extension of his contract with his existing club at any time
• A club signing a player is prohibited from making an announcement until the cooling off period has expired

Mr Greenberg stressed that the proposed new rule will be an interim measure pending the outcome of Shane Richardson's "whole of game" review.

NRL Contract Rule - NRL.com

Summarising from that, November 1 is not when contracts are registered... they are registered after the cooling off period. Players can't sign with another club until the final year of their contract, ie 1 November 2016 for contracts ending 2017, playing 2018. Its not clear in Toddy's statement about negotiating prior to the final year of contract, but I'll be up front here in that I have a family member NRL contracted... he was not allowed to talk to or negotiate with other clubs prior to 1 Nov under NRL rules. His "scumbag player agent" made it clear that that was a big no no. I can't find that written any where but I trust the word of people who do this shit for a living, but hey, could be wrong.
Nowhere in that does it say that clubs can not talk to players before November 1 ... try again

Nowhere in that does it say that clubs can not talk to players before November 1 ... try again
Ok, I don't need to try again. I conceded that that statement doesn't make it clear about talking prior to november 1, so I shared my personal experience and knowledge. Its no big deal if you're open to it or not, the NRL will role on, players will negotiate when they're allowed to and all will be well. But if you are going to try to use quotes to hold a position that you seem narky about it helps to be current, other wise you sound like you either don't know what you're talking about, or just being a bullshitter cos you can't be wrong.

I think the "can only sign with another club in the final year of their contract" covers exactly that, as contracts run from November 1 to October 31.

So as a group we are all across the fact that there is a difference between talking/negotiating and signing a contract, right?

NRL Contract Rule
NRL.com

NRL Contract Rule - NRL.com

Okay..

So tell me, which one of us was talking about contract registrations?

No one was, except for you. We were talking about clubs being able to enter negotiations with a player prior to November 1, which has been confirmed by the very people that created the rule.

We are not talking about when a contract can be registered which obviously can't be done prior to November 1 unless all parties agree. (eg. A player being released by the club)

Last edited:
Any contract registered November 1 clearly completely took place in the few preceding hours only, gosh.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Battler
  • BroncosAlways
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • mieko
  • westy316
  • broncsgoat
  • Locky24
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.