OFFICIAL Cory Paix Extends to 2025

So does that mean he's first choice hooker now?

Mmmmmmnah, Little Billy starts.

Whether he is the long term answer at hooker or whether he ends up being a bench/depth hooker it is great to see this attitude at the club. Rather than hearing of Haas wanting out, or Cobbo saying Kevvie is not a good coach, it is finally refreshing to see someone willing to fight it out for their position.

2 years gives him time to see where he sits with the club and is perfect length contract with Mozer being touted as the next best thing. Great contract for both involved.

Didn’t Billy just extended to the end of 25 also?

This isn’t a Billy post, don’t worry. It does seem a little bizarre to sign both of them to the same length of deals while also having Mozer making the step up during that time.

@Big Pete , thoughts?

This isn’t a Billy post, don’t worry. It does seem a little bizarre to sign both of them to the same lend to deals while also having Mozer making the step up during that time.

@Big Pete , thoughts?

Walters is end '24.

This isn’t a Billy post, don’t worry. It does seem a little bizarre to sign both of them to the same lend to deals while also having Mozer making the step up during that time.

@Big Pete , thoughts?
The Broncos still haven't settled on a short term 9. I don't think they will before Round 1, so instead of just having one player, it's a combination of both for the time being.

If Brisbane are going to make something of themselves this season, they'll need Cory Paix to step up and make his mark on the competition.

The one thing I hope Matty Ballin has instilled in him is communication. He (and Billy) need a stronger voice and need to stop relying on individual brilliance. Unfortunately, I saw no improvement in that regard during the trials.

I actually think this is welcome news that dispels the idea that Kevie is clearing the path for his son. If that train of thought had any ammunition, Paix wouldn't have been re-signed this early. Clearly, they value him and believe he has a future at the club.

Good news as far as I'm concerned. It's obvious that everybody sees Mozer as the long term answer. Who else are we going to sign as an interim solution outside the club?

The Broncos still haven't settled on a short term 9. I don't think they ever will, so instead of just having one player, it's a combination of both for the time being.

If Brisbane are going to make something of themselves this season, they'll need Cory Paix to step up and make his mark on the competition.

The one thing I hope Matty Ballin has instilled in him is communication. He (and Billy) need a stronger voice and need to stop relying on individual brilliance. Unfortunately, I saw no improvement in that regard during the trials.

I actually think this is welcome news that dispels the idea that Kevie is clearing the path for his son. If that train of thought had any ammunition, Paix wouldn't have been re-signed this early. Clearly, they value him and believe he has a future at the club.
They - meaning Ben and David perhaps.

Regardless of what happens with Mozer I think Paix will be in a hooker role of some sort for years to come, he definitely has something about him to get another level, injuries depending.

There's been times when Paix has looked really impressive, and other times when he's been average or invisible. There were definitely games last year where we looked noticeably more cohesive and our attack flowed much more smoothly when Paix was in at 9, but lack of game time and injuries seem to have really hampered his development so far.

I really hope he gets consistent minutes this year (he and Smoothy would be my 2 dummy halfs), and he can continue to build on the glimpses he's shown - Paix being adequate enough to hold down the fort in the immediate term lets us leave Mozer to develop in reserve grade the way he needs to (both develop his game and his body... he doesn't have the physique to handle regular first grade yet).

There's been times when Paix has looked really impressive, and other times when he's been average or invisible. There were definitely games last year where we looked noticeably more cohesive and our attack flowed much more smoothly when Paix was in at 9, but lack of game time and injuries seem to have really hampered his development so far.

I really hope he gets consistent minutes this year (he and Smoothy would be my 2 dummy halfs), and he can continue to build on the glimpses he's shown - Paix being adequate enough to hold down the fort in the immediate term lets us leave Mozer to develop in reserve grade the way he needs to (both develop his game and his body... he doesn't have the physique to handle regular first grade yet).
I love Paix as a bench player but he just can't play big minutes at hooker. The roosters game last year was evidence of that. He is best fit to come on with tired defence about 10 minutes before halftime.

I love Paix as a bench player but he just can't play big minutes at hooker. The roosters game last year was evidence of that. He is best fit to come on with tired defence about 10 minutes before halftime.

There's very few hookers who CAN handle 80 mins in the modern game, and even less that should.

The way the game has evolved, every team should be targetting having 2 dummy halves who can rotate to provide consistent spark and energy through the ruck without becoming exhausted and sacrificing defensive integrity in the middle. I'd rather 2 very good hookers who can play 40 each than an excellent hooker forced to strecth to play 80. Paix can handle his half of the hooking duties as long as he has a good partner in crime.

Having one (or both) of those 9's able to play as a roaming middle (at lock) provides even more flexibility.

There's very few hookers who CAN handle 80 mins in the modern game, and even less that should.

The way the game has evolved, every team should be targetting having 2 dummy halves who can rotate to provide consistent spark and energy through the ruck without becoming exhausted and sacrificing defensive integrity in the middle. I'd rather 2 very good hookers who can play 40 each than an excellent hooker forced to strecth to play 80. Paix can handle his half of the hooking duties as long as he has a good partner in crime.

Having one (or both) of those 9's able to play as a roaming middle (at lock) provides even more flexibility.
Yeah I agree which is why Billy is still the best option to partner him. Mozer will obviously take one of their spots at some point but lets not forget, Mozer has proven nothing as of yet. He's still very young and potentially a few years away from starting. I think its smart to have Billy and Paix signed for a few more years just in case. They would cost bugger all in terms of cap.

Hopefully on close to minimum wage, I don't imagine he was in high demand.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Scorchie
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • Lozza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lurker
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Manifesto
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Cavalo
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.