OFFICIAL Cory Paix Extends to 2025

There's very few hookers who CAN handle 80 mins in the modern game, and even less that should.

The way the game has evolved, every team should be targetting having 2 dummy halves who can rotate to provide consistent spark and energy through the ruck without becoming exhausted and sacrificing defensive integrity in the middle. I'd rather 2 very good hookers who can play 40 each than an excellent hooker forced to strecth to play 80. Paix can handle his half of the hooking duties as long as he has a good partner in crime.

Having one (or both) of those 9's able to play as a roaming middle (at lock) provides even more flexibility.
Yeah I agree... every team has a part timer on the bench to fill in if needed.

Even the hookers who pump out big minutes have a backup on the bench... Cook has Havili, Harry had BSmith (will be interesting who they go with this year).

On your last point I wonder if Paix could end up being that roving small forward in a few years??

We have Kobe at the moment who might fill that role, but he's not yet been thrown into the hooking duties... also at the moment we need a backup hooker who can cover 40mins with the current rotation, which is not Kobe's role.

Mozer may end up being a hooker we want on the field for 50-60mins, which leaves 20mins to fill from the bench... that could be Kobe in a couple years... or maybe Paix

To me he looked stockier in the trials this year and he's a former halfback which adds a ball playing option through the middle... it would possibly be at the detriment of his speed, but it would also increase his longevity and flexibility in the gameplan.

His profile has him at 89kg and 178cm... but BSmith is 94kg and 180cm... so not a huge jump to get to a possible body shape for that kind of role.

He's definitely not there at the moment, but might be something they work towards moving forward, pending how Mozer develops.

Yeah I agree... every team has a part timer on the bench to fill in if needed.

Even the hookers who pump out big minutes have a backup on the bench... Cook has Havili, Harry had BSmith (will be interesting who they go with this year).

On your last point I wonder if Paix could end up being that roving small forward in a few years??

We have Kobe at the moment who might fill that role, but he's not yet been thrown into the hooking duties... also at the moment we need a backup hooker who can cover 40mins with the current rotation, which is not Kobe's role.

Mozer may end up being a hooker we want on the field for 50-60mins, which leaves 20mins to fill from the bench... that could be Kobe in a couple years... or maybe Paix

To me he looked stockier in the trials this year and he's a former halfback which adds a ball playing option through the middle... it would possibly be at the detriment of his speed, but it would also increase his longevity and flexibility in the gameplan.

His profile has him at 89kg and 178cm... but BSmith is 94kg and 180cm... so not a huge jump to get to a possible body shape for that kind of role.

He's definitely not there at the moment, but might be something they work towards moving forward, pending how Mozer develops.

I definitely think once Mozer can take over the bulk of the hooking duties that whoever has been the standout amongst Paix / Walters / Smoothy / another outsider will fill that backup hooker / reserve middle forward spot.

I don't think it takes a particularly big body - look at McInnes at the Sharks playing @ 13 - as long as you have the physicality to handle defence in the middle of the field, so I think Paix could absolutely fill that role. As a former halves player he could add some real creativity and optionality as a ball-playing middle - elements of his game which are blunted by the defensive workload of long minutes at hooker... The 2 of them could be quite a good combination.

Good resigning, hasnt broken the bank. This speaks more about Mozer than Paix IMO.

Brisbane are going to slowly build Mozer up to a NRL level hooker, having Paix for a few years means we can take our time with Blake.

Rather than push him into a role in the first team he isnt ready for.

There's very few hookers who CAN handle 80 mins in the modern game, and even less that should.

The way the game has evolved, every team should be targetting having 2 dummy halves who can rotate to provide consistent spark and energy through the ruck without becoming exhausted and sacrificing defensive integrity in the middle. I'd rather 2 very good hookers who can play 40 each than an excellent hooker forced to strecth to play 80. Paix can handle his half of the hooking duties as long as he has a good partner in crime.

Having one (or both) of those 9's able to play as a roaming middle (at lock) provides even more flexibility.
From what i have seen of him he is gassed after 15 minutes

Active Now

• MasterWright
  • westy316
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ozired
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.