Cricket writer Peter Roebuck dies

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
The acclaimed cricket writer Peter Roebuck has been found dead at a hotel in Newlands, South Africa.
Roebuck, a writer for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, was 55.

He played for the English county Somerset, made a home in Australia, and built a reputation as the best columnist on the sport.

He travelled widely with the Australian team, and was also a radio commentator for the ABCs.

It is believed he was spoken to by police earlier in the day.

More to come.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket-writer-peter-roebuck-dies-20111113-1ndg0.html

Wow! There's something more to this I reckon, and either way, 55 is way too young.

I think his writing was generally pompous, arrogant, self serving, and he was generally an Indian-apologist sook that revelled in any Australian failure.
But, like i said, too young and I hope it was peaceful.

Sad news he was a very gods cricket writer. He had so much passion for the game.

I've heard Rumours that he may have topped himself.

There are some horrible rumours floating around. Very distasteful given the circumstances.

Peter was the best cricket writer I've come across. He was my favourite sports journo. His pieces were always insightful and engaging - a rarity these days.

Finest cricket writer my arse...I couldn't stand listening to or reading his pompous dribble.

Not that I'm glad he's dead but I won't miss him

Finest cricket writer my arse...I couldn't stand listening to or reading his pompous dribble.

Not that I'm glad he's dead but I won't miss him

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one who thought he was a pompous, arrogant stain of a writer.

Who cares if they cover it up? Surely everyone deserves privacy in death?

Do they? I mean, I have no idea what he was questioned about but if he or someone else who died was involved in something really awful then I don't see why they deserve privacy.

Well he made sure it wouldn't be a private death, by throwing himself from the hotel.

It's a known fact, he caned three, 19 yr old cricketers on their arse in 1999, because they did something wrong.

Do they? I mean, I have no idea what he was questioned about but if he or someone else who died was involved in something really awful then I don't see why they deserve privacy.

SMH reported (as Kaz posted) that he was interviewed over an alleged sexual assault.

The above statement combined with his suicide leads me to think he may have had a guilty conscience.

Did Michael hutchence get privacy after the way he died?

In the same token why do the public "deserve" to know?

By the way, I couldn't stand his articles. I just hate the media and the attitude that everything is for public consumption.

By the way, I couldn't stand his articles. I just hate the media and the attitude that everything is for public consumption.

The public create that attitude, not the media. The media reports on what their audience wishes to hear about.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Rambstien
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Old Mate
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • leish107
  • Tmac
  • davidp
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.