PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

Not saying I disagree with your point about who is the worse captain but the fact Boyd is in the conversation kind of says everything.

Not only that, using winning percentage for a captain can be misleading. Ricky Ponting had a great record as captain but look at the sides he was captain of. It isn't like this Broncos side is full of useless individual players, they will always be in the upper echelon clubs in terms of talent alone. Let's also not forget who and how good the coach's record is.
He is only in the conversation because many fans have inflated expectations of a side with numerous youngsters and a consistent injury toll. Always upper echelon but clearly weren't a real shot of a title this year. A RL captain's record is always symblematic of how his troops respond to him and a .600 winning pctg is a damn good response. I concede he has had a poor season by his standards but I don't think his captaincy has been an issue. The fact that this team is still afloat despite it's many flaws speaks wonders for his leadership.

Thaiday wins hands down, that isn't even worth disputing. I also don't agree that the position of FB is more critical than being a forward. How would you know if Boyd is a bad captain unless you were part of the internal squad or staff at the Broncos? Are you making your assumption simply from your TV screen? Boyd has a .600 winning percentage as skipper which is pretty exceptional for a "bad" captain.
Is your opinion of Thaiday based from what you've seen on your TV screen or a you part of the internal squad or staff at the Broncos.

Not saying I disagree with your point about who is the worse captain but the fact Boyd is in the conversation kind of says everything.

Not only that, using winning percentage for a captain can be misleading. Ricky Ponting had a great record as captain but look at the sides he was captain of. It isn't like this Broncos side is full of useless individual players, they will always be in the upper echelon clubs in terms of talent alone. Let's also not forget who and how good the coach's record is.

I'd rather play under Ponting than someone like Clarke. Ponting cops a lot of shit, but if you listen to him in commentary he has one of the best Cricket brains in the world. He just didn't do all the flashy intuitive stuff that Clarke did on the field, which often didn't work out, and preferred to grind teams down. At his height he had an aura about him as a player and captain that struck fear into sides. Smith's sort of the same way, but not as aggressive in the field.

EDIT: part of the reason for Clarke's sides being useless was because he flat out refused to not pick people he wasn't friendly with. Katich and SOK are two examples off the top of my head. If SOK got the chance Lyon did (Lyon came in with a bowling average in the 40s and is to this day an OK but not great spinner despite his wicket tally, like he's behind Jadeja, Herath, Ashwin, Khan, and possibly Shakib) he could have be anything.

Last edited:
You know, i wouldn't be againt Milford as captain either. I know he gets a lot of bad wraps, but he is ultra competitive. I put him like Hodges, the worst he does is yell at the idiots around him for being idiots and occasionally tries too hard. His defence can be bad, but so was Lockyer's. I actually think Milford would be OK as captain.

If Macca was actually good he'd get my vote, but he sucks.

You know, i wouldn't be againt Milford as captain either. I know he gets a lot of bad wraps, but he is ultra competitive. I put him like Hodges, the worst he does is yell at the idiots around him for being idiots and occasionally tries too hard. His defence can be bad, but so was Lockyer's. I actually think Milford would be OK as captain.

If Macca was actually good he'd get my vote, but he sucks.

Captaincy almost guarantees McCullough to get a gig each week. I pray circumstance won't allow that to happen.

Milford is the logical choice...excepting for we'd be throwing even more pressure onto him. Some players revel in the pressure?

Milford captained the u/20's QLD SOO team....... from halfback.

Captaincy almost guarantees McCullough to get a gig each week. I pray circumstance won't allow that to happen.

Milford is the logical choice...excepting for we'd be throwing even more pressure onto him. Some players revel in the pressure?

Milford captained the u/20's QLD SOO team....... from halfback.

I’m one of his fans but he has too many games where his attitude is not good enough, he’s not a legitimate candidate for it.

I think you are all missing the most obvious choice because he is the player that quite a few regularly want to get rid off. If we are looking for a stop gap captain to fill the role until one of the choices matures, it is Glenn, who captained our U20 team, does lead by example and can string 2 words together to fulfil the off-field requirements.

I think you are all missing the most obvious choice because he is the player that quite a few regularly want to get rid off. If we are looking for a stop gap captain to fill the role until one of the choices matures, it is Glenn, who captained our U20 team, does lead by example and can string 2 words together to fulfil the off-field requirements.

THe problem is that he's probably moving towards being a bench player soon.

I say this in respect to him and McCullouch but it rewards mediocrity, it’d be like Jake friend or Jarrod Croker.

Last edited:
The problem is, Macca is not what should define the Broncos. He tries harder than anyone and works his backside off but he just isn't that good where he needs to be good. The Broncs really need to be looking to find someone more complete whenver they can, whether that will become Turpin or someone else.

Essentially, what I'm saying is, Macca is the best that the Broncs have available but he is a player who needs to be replaced as soon as someone becomes available, he just isn't complete enough. I wonder if this is where Bird actually could become useful.

Turps looked good, I'd love to see him get regular bench time but as for Macca being captain, mediocre to average players should NEVER be captain of an elite club like the Broncos.

There is a definite leadership void at the Broncs at present. The best candidate is probably TPJ and that says it all, he is about 5+ years from being ready.

The best option, purely by default, is McGuire (assuming Gillett isn't available), and he is extremely divisive by all reports.

Where are the Lockyers, Civonicevas, Webckes, Talliss, Thorns, etc when you need them.

The only example I can think of would be David Green, he was Wynnum's captain in 1984 and 1985.

Wally was Queensland, Australian and Brisbane captain all winning too in 1984 but not Wynnum's captain. Green wasn't average but he wasn't Wally and when you consider that team also had Scott, Dowling, Miles, French brothers and Coyne all Origin and or Test players.

Wynnum won the State League beating Souths 21-10 and the Premiership over Souths 42-8 Green was always captain until 1986.

Last edited:
Alex Glenn was an excellent captain in the 20's. I thought he'd be a Broncos' captain one day.

Croker has been the guts of that side for years. That’s a rough statement

Like Macca, Croker & Friend have seen that side at its best and worst but I personally don’t want that for the team I back given his contribution to the side.

Last edited:
I'd rather play under Ponting than someone like Clarke. Ponting cops a lot of shit, but if you listen to him in commentary he has one of the best Cricket brains in the world. He just didn't do all the flashy intuitive stuff that Clarke did on the field, which often didn't work out, and preferred to grind teams down. At his height he had an aura about him as a player and captain that struck fear into sides. Smith's sort of the same way, but not as aggressive in the field.

EDIT: part of the reason for Clarke's sides being useless was because he flat out refused to not pick people he wasn't friendly with. Katich and SOK are two examples off the top of my head. If SOK got the chance Lyon did (Lyon came in with a bowling average in the 40s and is to this day an OK but not great spinner despite his wicket tally, like he's behind Jadeja, Herath, Ashwin, Khan, and possibly Shakib) he could have be anything.

Or the reason could be SOK was a drunk who was suspended from every tour and sent home all the time.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • cento
  • Stix
  • Organix
  • Mustafur
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Jazza
  • dasherhalo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Santa
  • Nerd
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.