PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

Alex Glenn was an excellent captain in the 20's. I thought he'd be a Broncos' captain one day.

He's nearing the end of his career....or at least his Brisbane one.

Or the reason could be SOK was a drunk who was suspended from every tour and sent home all the time.

He was still the best player at the time, and it's not like the Aussie cricket culture is anti-booze. They didn't even give him a chance. Lyon was the definition of a plodder and was absolutely gifted a baggy green and subsequently cost us several series before he eventually evolved into an OK off spinner (he could have been doing that in shield cricket).

What I'm getting at is that under Clarke's reign, and he was a selector so this is valid criticism, they started giving more and more blokes opportunities on subjective attributes like "potential" or "class" or even "technique" and moved away from rewarding performers in domestic cricket. It worked for Clarke himself when he debuted, but it's proven to be more hit than miss most of the time.

Should re-name this thread "next broncos captain".

My two cents suggestion would be McGuire, at the very least it would make other clubs supporters hate even him more than they already do.

Captaincy almost guarantees McCullough to get a gig each week. I pray circumstance won't allow that to happen.

Milford is the logical choice...excepting for we'd be throwing even more pressure onto him. Some players revel in the pressure?

Milford captained the u/20's QLD SOO team....... from halfback.
Signing a three year contract ensures McCullough plays each week.

So does being better than any other option at the club, or at most other clubs.

An interesting point, I wonder if it is the case:

1. Smith
2. Daylight
3a. Cook
3b. Hodgson
5. Luke
6. Farah (regardless of what people may think about his character, he is still a gun hooker)
7a. Peats (when fit)
7b. Macca
7c. McInness
7d. Korisau (I'd have him above Macca personally but trying to be as objective as possible)
7d. Brailey
7e. Friend

Hey what do you know, he probably is better than most, kind of by default. I think it would be hard to argue most of those placings but obviously everyone has a differing opinion.

So yeah, better than most or as I'd suggest, pretty much bang on average to very slightly above average. Given there just really aren't that many good number 9's around, he kind of benefits by that too.

Regardless, The Broncs are not a team or a culture that should have a just-maybe-if-you-squint-slightly-above-average guy as captain.

Yeah, it's a real dark age for hookers right now, alongside real halfbacks. I'm sure the former will recover eventually, the latter will probably be a lot more difficult with the way they develop them when they are young.

1. Smith
2. Daylight
3a. Cook
3b. Hodgson
5. Luke
6. Farah (regardless of what people may think about his character, he is still a gun hooker)
7a. Peats (when fit)
7b. Macca
7c. McInness
7d. Korisau (I'd have him above Macca personally but trying to be as objective as possible)
7d. Brailey
7e. Friend

Hey what do you know, he probably is better than most, kind of by default. I think it would be hard to argue most of those placings but obviously everyone has a differing opinion.

So yeah, better than most or as I'd suggest, pretty much bang on average to very slightly above average. Given there just really aren't that many good number 9's around, he kind of benefits by that too.

Regardless, The Broncs are not a team or a culture that should have a just-maybe-if-you-squint-slightly-above-average guy as captain.

Are you rating Macca above McInnes? You're kidding, right?

1. Smith
2. Daylight
3a. Cook
3b. Hodgson
5. Luke
7a. Peats (when fit)
7b. Macca
7c. McInness
7d. Brailey
7e. Friend

We should sign this Daylight bloke. Doesn’t seem to have a club.

Cook has had half a good season, Luke is bad more often than good, Peats is overrated and has regressed terribly.

1. Smith
2. Daylight
3a. Cook
3b. Hodgson
5. Luke
7a. Peats (when fit)
7b. Macca
7c. McInness
7d. Brailey
7e. Friend

This is my favourite kind of post.

‘My opinion is right and to prove that here is a list devised completely of my own opinion to support my opinion’.

Even with that, it backs up the argument that Macca is the best we have available.

I completely disagree that Peats is better than Macca, I don’t see how that is an argument even in a completely opinion-based factual list like this and with the blokes ahead of him they are not an option.

Cook has had half a good season, Luke is bad more often than good, Peats is overrated and has regressed terribly.

This. @broncos4life already pointed out elsewhere that this is a contract year for Luke, he'll likely regress again.

Cook looks better at the moment, but he's playing off the Burgii who are back to career best, and the Rabbit's game plan of deliberately pushing over the markers to allow the hooker to scoot. Or NSW's pack against Qld's rabble.

People who rate players like Koroisau, who are great impact players but terrible starting hookers, forget that the ball is in your hands only roughly 50% of the time.

This. @broncos4life already pointed out elsewhere that this is a contract year for Luke, he'll likely regress again.

Cook looks better at the moment, but he's playing off the Burgii who are back to career best, and the Rabbit's game plan of deliberately pushing over the markers to allow the hooker to scoot. Or NSW's pack against Qld's rabble.

People who rate players like Koroisau, who are great impact players but terrible starting hookers, forget that the ball is in your hands only roughly 50% of the time.

Fair points, and I don’t agree with much of it but can see the reasons you guys put forward to defend Macca.

It’s kind of hard to say he hasn’t regressed somewhat either though and again, to be fair, this could also be due to the number of injuries he’s had over the last 18 months.

And my list can be argued, that’s the point of a forum right? People can also offer all sorts of reasons and excuses why this player is good currently, that player isn’t, etc.

But this list isn’t even really designed to have a go at Macca as a player. I don’t think anyone has said he isn’t adequate but he has serious deficiencies in his game. Some people are happy to accept him as he is. Again, I’m fine with that even though I disagree.

And this is my opinion but I highly doubt the Broncs will ever win a premiership while Macca is at hooker, 2015 kind of highlighted it for me. I think the team will get close again but not win it while he’s hooker. And goodness me, I hope I am so wrong and people like you, cult and b4l can happily bag me out until your hearts are content.

In any case, I realise I’ve digressed and once again made this about Macca as a player when what I wanted to do was make it about him as a captain.

I don’t want an (at best) slightly above average player as captain of the Broncos.

Last edited:
This is my favourite kind of post.

‘My opinion is right and to prove that here is a list devised completely of my own opinion to support my opinion’.

Even with that, it backs up the argument that Macca is the best we have available.

I completely disagree that Peats is better than Macca, I don’t see how that is an argument even in a completely opinion-based factual list like this and with the blokes ahead of him they are not an option.

I don’t usually reply to your posts but I feel like this is a good example to show why I don’t. I mean did you even read the part where I said:

“I think it would be hard to argue most of those placings but obviously everyone has a differing opinion. ”

You then choose to argue ONE placing, kind of actually proving what I said right there in the above quote.

And not really sure where you get the tone that you suggest (even though it isn’t written in the words and you will no doubt pick this apart in your reply) I am basically saying my opinion is right and everyone else MUST be wrong.

I would like to think most on here who read my posts would think I at least try to be fair, even if I’m not always successful.

It is also true that I don’t really rate Macca personally but the point (I probably didn’t argue clearly enough to be fair) I was trying to make is I don’t want a slightly above average (at best) player as captain of the Broncos.

Granville?
I put most of the cowboys poor form on Granville this year. He's an absolute stinker. So many errors at crucial times, and even though a lot of his tackles stick, the opposition almost always get a quick play the ball / a lot of metres made before hitting the turf. He is fast. That's it. I put his hooking ability closer to that of Nikorima than Macca.

Macca IMO would be top 5 hookers for sure. Smith and Cook are the front runners, and then players like farah and luke on their day are really good, but they also have some terrible games. Macca is very consistent and very strong defensively. For the most part his service out of dummy half is really good. If you just look at origin and look at the service munster and DCE were getting while he was on the field compared to the often behind the player balls from Hunt you will see this.

Yes he doesn't have the most 'spark' but he does get the ball to the players pretty quickly.

This season? He's been the Warriors MVP, I think he showed the difference between him and Mculloch over the weekend and it's a bigger difference than number 5 v 7.

In relation to Boyd yeah he's pretty bad, he should be nowhere near the custodian role. If they are that desperate to have him then play him at centre or wing. What I noticed as you guys really struggle with a lack of a running dummy, a smart game manager and having a fullback that offers absolutely nothing with ball in hand, or much of anything at all. When that's 3/4 of ya spine there's as issue, we've certainly been there in past ourselves.

I think what should also be highlighted is that the game plan isn't exactly built around macca.

- Farah has a license to kick and will just generally over call his halves whenwhenever he wants
- Luke and Cook have speed and will just run whenever the opportunity presents
- Cam has the game plan totally built around him this year to the point he is drifting into halfback
- Hodgson raiders have built their game plan around him and he has a license to overcall whenever he wants.

Anyone claiming Peats as better haven't paid attention to the total decline of his involvements since his origin game. I think Brennan wants him gone... mainly because Rein appears a pet favourite.

For other hookers the game plan typically falls on the them being fast and taking a run if the opportunity presents or getting the ball where it's needed.

Basically what I'm saying is Macca has never really been involved in a game plan that has required him to be a leading hand. But what we should all be aware of by now is how vital a cog he becomes when he is in good form (40/20's, try assists near the line, getting tries himself, etc.), which when he's in it can be very consistently good and stay that way for a long time.

I get that he's copping flak after the last game because he was clearly overplaying his hand... but watching him on Sunday reminded me of an almost identical game earlier in the year against the titans.

From the starting whistle it was pretty evident that the team hadn't turned up for either the titans or warriors games (lodge making ridiculous offloads and getting hooked (he may have been hooked in titans game as well), zero ball control, horrible defence and just a general lack of meiodcrity).

How does Macca respond to the team failing to turn up?? by trying to take it on himself... he can see the team is struggling and he tries to make something happen mainly by bringing in a lot of little ruck plays around the line. The increase in ruck plays could be solely due to that area being Macca's domain, his area of the game plan if you will... and on the weekend he happened to score a try and have one denied (which I believe was wrongly denied). In the titans game he also scored a try (the first one I believe) but ultimately the team still failed miserably in both games.

In terms of him being captain I recall him being interviewed after a dismal first half (may have been titans again) and I can't recall exactly what he said but it was pretty perfect at the time. It wasn't one off token responses or blame gaming, but he identified exactly what we were doing wrong and you could tell in his tone of voice that he was absolutely livid with how they'd played in the first half.

I remember seeing that and thinking that was exactly what you want from your captain.

All in all I think Macca is a reasonably good hooker for what we need and the comments about his service are grossly over exaggerated, which from my point of view started back when he was getting his arms checked at dummy half by the markers (and rightly so, but he appears to have fixed that), but is now mainly brought up due to people's frustration that he isn't lightning on his feet.

I would like to see him step up and take on more responsibility in the game plan. Yes it has been said that he needs to step up for years now, but has he actually ever been given the responsibility within a game plan?? Does he have a license to kick whenever he wants or is the game plan to bomb and pin the opposition inside the 10-20m corner??

Oftentimes you'll see macca looking out the back with arms out asking who wants it... maybe if he had more control or responsibility he would be telling them who's getting it and looking forward at the opposition rather than back at his teammates, only to realise none of them have turned up this weekend.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.