Darius Boyd - FOG166

The replay is on FoxLeagueHD at 1:30.

Should i bother watching it ?
First game in a long time I switched off before full time... Apart from the refs being incompetent, we were terrible. And what's worse is, the Storm were beatable yesterday and far from playing their best footy. We had moments where we looked good but just fell apart at crucial times in the game.
We're still the same side we were 2 years ago, we can't put in a good 80 minutes and for the most part seem disjointed.
I'm hoping we came off the bye underdone and switch on for this week. Hope Bennett is fucking giving it to them this morning

He was asked at the beginning of the camp if he would come in to shadow Slater. He called Slater who said that he was feeling fine and would definitely be playing so he declined the offer to come and chill as he already had a family holiday booked.

This has been widely reported by multiple sources, I honestly can't believe this is being disputed.

Not one of your are providing links, just an FYI, but are passing it off as fact.

What I read, came across to me, as an invite, absolutely and utterly no different to the same invite extended to Corey Parker, to come to camp, to hang out with the young guys, and to be there as a FOG, never to play a game. Nothing to do with Slater being injured, or anything of that nature.

@Nashy

Boyd was vying with Slater for the Queensland No.1 jumper, but when the Storm ace was chosen as fullback last Monday week the Broncos skipper opted to go on an overseas trip with wife Kayla.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the machinations involving Boyd that capped a day of drama for the Maroons.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters had asked Boyd to join Camp Maroon as part of an extended squad last Tuesday, but the Broncos fullback said he had booked a holiday to Queenstown.

Boyd told Walters he was prepared to cancel his holiday if Slater was in grave doubt.

Boyd then had a phone conversation with Slater, who indicated he was hopeful of being fit, prompting the Broncos skipper to push on with his travel plans.

source: Courier Mail

Shits me to tears reading about how bad the refereeing was/is
If we are relying upon the rub of the green we deserved to lose.
And it shits me just as much to say we weren’t good enough and it’s as simple as that.
I used to think Milford is like my Mrs, gets me excited and I think we are at last on the right track only to be disappointed again, only difference now is the whole team makes me feel this way.
My excitement in the first half proved to be premature, yet again

With a days breather in-between I am less dissapointed in the loss then what I was last night.

The people saying we cant blame the refs are right to some degree. A good team always overcomes the obstacles in front of them to win. However, the refereeing performance was so attrocious and obviously biased that it also gives the team some leeway to say they played terrible. The refereeing decisions individually werent so terrible. The problem was that one team got away with penalties that the other team didnt on multiple occaisons in game changing/momentum creating moments (2nd effort to get player in goal, smith and munster strips not penalised but milford was, boyd getting marched for questioning the ref EXACTLY how smith does for 5 mins every game, piggy back penalties that were 50/50 calls only going to one side but not the other). The thing that was REALLY appauling I think though was the square up penalties in the 79th minute! The penalty count was 12-5 and these were OBVIOUSLY given to make it look more even. The 79th minute with the game over! Embarrassing admission of guilt. Yes calls tend to even out over the course of the year and yes we should win despite any obstacles, but I cant remember the last time we havent had a few “dubious” decisions go against us when we play the storm or we get reffed by cummins. Its become a bit obvious there is an agenda there for mine, whether its subconciously (maybe doesnt like us as a supporter or supports us and overcompensates massively to not look bias, maybe had a run in wth a fan or coach one time?) or not, it is there and it has become that much of an issue that we could have a 100% win record until the gf and be the $1.01 favourites to win the gf but I would bet my house on us losing it if he was the ref for it...

With the storm I think we bow to c smith too much. I know TPJ was going over the top but i applauded it anyway. **** THE STORM. Boyd should stop admiring and applauding smiths gamesmanship when he talks to the refs and start getting in the immortals face. The storm wont forget TPJ or how he hates them and that will do more to end this domination then applauding what legends they are constantly.

On our team/season. We have won 5 out of our last 7 so not quite panic stations. This next game is very important in the context of our season. I dont normally think like that but it will be a bit of a season definer. It will put us 8-6 or 7-7. The next games are winnable but in the middle of an origin period and low on confidence we could come out of origin struggling to even make the 8 based on this game...

Our team is strong, we have a great forward pack for the first time in years and a great backline. We are missing something and i dont think its as obvious as “a halfback” or “a kicking game”. The games we win arent due to some amazing halves performance from milford, or a well orchestrated performance. Its our energy in defence. We can attack and score points with the best of them. Swapping nikorima wouldnt change that, it would improve our defence on the edge though but he was good last night anyway in defence compared to previously. Also, milfords kicking game isnt bad these days, it isnt c smith or cronk like but it certainly isnt the worst in the league. I mean, the dragons are at the top of the table with a worse kicking game then ours i believe..

I think we would win ALOT more games if we chamged our defensive structure from sliding to an up and in style, particularly on our line. And boyd stopped defending in our line, it worked for a season (2015) but teams know how to exploit it now. Missing Gillett and mcguire for large chunks of the season so far have made our defence worse as they are often the guys who provide the energy and time a good out of line hit to perfection, but at the end of the day any defence can get the job done with the right attitude.

He was asked at the beginning of the camp if he would come in to shadow Slater. He called Slater who said that he was feeling fine and would definitely be playing so he declined the offer to come and chill as he already had a family holiday booked.

This has been widely reported by multiple sources, I honestly can't believe this is being disputed.
You’re talking about the beginning of camp, I’m talking about 1-2 days before the game when Slater was a confirmed non-starter.

My point still stands - Boyd wasn’t considered to replace Slater. Why is that? He knows the plays, he knows the team, he is experienced.

If you have conclusive evidence that proves otherwise, please share it and I’ll be happy to eat humble pie.

Last edited:
You’re talking about the beginning of camp, I’m talking about 1-2 days before the game when Slater was a confirmed non-starter.

My point still stands - Boyd wasn’t considered to replace Slater. Why is that? He knows the plays, he knows the team, he is experienced.

If you have conclusive evidence that proves otherwise, please share it and I’ll be happy to eat humble pie.

will quotes from Darren Lockyer suffice ... i'll also post the full article for @Nashy (bolding the Locky quotes saying that Boyd was considered ...

BRONCOS captain Darius Boyd’s Origin career appears all but over after a mid-season holiday to New Zealand sensationally torpedoed his hopes of a Queensland recall.

In a drama-charged build-up to State of Origin I on Wednesday night, Queensland star Billy Slater was a shock withdrawal on Monday – leaving the Maroons without a fullback for the series opener at the MCG.

Boyd was vying with Slater for the Queensland No.1 jumper, but when the Storm ace was chosen as fullback last Monday week the Broncos skipper opted to go on an overseas trip with wife Kayla.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the machinations involving Boyd that capped a day of drama for the Maroons.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters had asked Boyd to join Camp Maroon as part of an extended squad last Tuesday, but the Broncos fullback said he had booked a holiday to Queenstown.

Boyd told Walters he was prepared to cancel his holiday if Slater was in grave doubt.

Boyd then had a phone conversation with Slater, who indicated he was hopeful of being fit, prompting the Broncos skipper to push on with his travel plans.

Boyd returned to Australia over the weekend and trained with the Broncos on Monday, meaning he was available for selection. But Walters called up Newcastle sensation Kalyn Ponga and Broncos star Anthony Milford, who spent the week in Camp Maroon learning Queensland’s plays.

The bizarre omission of Boyd will raise questions over his future in the Queensland Origin set-up.

The 30-year-old has been a magnificent servant for the Maroons, amassing 28 games, and would relish the prospect of a recall to the team.

But after hearing nothing from Maroons hierarchy on Monday, there are fears Boyd faces an uphill battle to resurrect his Origin career.

Maroons selector Darren Lockyer said the door was not closed on Boyd for Origin II if Slater was not fit.

Darius was discussed,” Lockyer said.

“Darius was away on holiday and this (calling in Ponga and Milford) is our better option.

“We needed a guy like Milford who has been around the group for most of the week.

“Darius could be considered for Game Two.”

Slater arrived in Melbourne last night and spoke of his pain at his late scratching.

“I’m extremely disappointed,” he said.

“It wasn’t until mid-to-late morning (yesterday) that I caught up with the physio and doctor. I didn’t pull up as well as I wanted to at training (on Sunday).

“I’ve never had a hamstring injury before so I don’t have anything to measure it off.

“I went on the recommendation of the physio and the doctor and what was best for the team as well.

“I’ve made the mistake of playing while injured in the past and I certainly regret that. I wanted to make the right decision this time.”

Source: Courier Mail

Which is a little disappointing in itself. Considering the often repeated Qld mantra of everything being about the team.

Disagree. If you have a family holiday booked, and the boss of the part time gig you took up last year rings to say "Hey, you wanna come hang out with the future players for no pay, no jersey, and no holiday with your family?", would you? Even if you loved the company it was?

Our team is strong, we have a great forward pack for the first time in years and a great backline. We are missing something and i dont think its as obvious as “a halfback” or “a kicking game”. The games we win arent due to some amazing halves performance from milford, or a well orchestrated performance. Its our energy in defence. We can attack and score points with the best of them. Swapping nikorima wouldnt change that, it would improve our defence on the edge though but he was good last night anyway in defence compared to previously. Also, milfords kicking game isnt bad these days, it isnt c smith or cronk like but it certainly isnt the worst in the league. I mean, the dragons are at the top of the table with a worse kicking game then ours i believe..

I really think the lack of good kicking game/halfback who controls the side instead of Milford are the root of our problems. Everything else sort of feels linked to that.

Like, we have a pretty inexperienced side. They all need confidence to play well. If we can't construct sets, can't finish them off well more often than not etc., you'd think it would mentally affect the younger players. Then the lack of confidence might contribute to giving up in defence too. A lot of the tries we score are very individualistic, more than any other side in the comp IMO. That can't be right. I mean, it shows the players do have talent, but you want to see creative/structured attack tries being scored, you can't rely on guys like Roberts, TPJ or Oates to get us out of trouble all the time.

Now, I could be wrong, but if many, many league fans point at our halves or the spine when talking about our problems, it must be a pretty big deal.

will quotes from Darren Lockyer suffice ... i'll also post the full article for @Nashy (bolding the Locky quotes saying that Boyd was considered ...
Not sure how that works to strengthen your arugument.

Boyd was considered and overlooked as “Milford and Ponga were the better options”. Or words to that effect. Interpret that how you like.

When you consider my original point in all this was that I didn’t consider Boyd’s efforts good enough to make the QLD team even after Slater was ruled out and that it seemed the QLD selectors may agree with me (quote below, bold for ease), then I’m willing to go out on a limb here and say it seems the QLD selectors also thought Boyd wasn’t a good option.

You do realise your comment pretty much says the same thing as mine when I referenced what Lockyer did to atone for his defensive mistakes and conversely what Boyd isn’t doing? The same point I made to justify why it was OK Lockyer made such mistakes and why it isn’t OK for Boyd.

But don’t let that stop you. Carry on, read what you want and disregard what you don’t. While you’re at it, lump me in with others who have criticised Boyd for defending in the line - but I’m incredibly confident you won’t find a comment I’ve made criticising that.

All that aside, I most certainly do have an agenda against Boyd and I’m the first to admit such.

From where I’m sitting, he doesn’t put in the effort required of a veteran first grader and especially not the captain of the Broncos. You know, the 1% plays. The ones Thurston always makes. The ones Smith always makes. The ones Lockyer always made. In fact, his effort is pretty much all I comment on, not his execution.

One could almost conclude that Kevin Walters somewhat agrees with that notion as well. After all, somehow Boyd couldn’t make the QLD team even after Slater pulled out...

So yep, I have an agenda against Boyd. Care to do likewise and admit you have a pro-Boyd agenda and outline why?

Last edited:
Not sure how that works to strengthen your arugument.

Boyd was considered and overlooked as “Milford and Ponga were the better options”. Or words to that effect. Interpret that how you like.

When you consider my original point in all this was that I didn’t consider Boyd’s efforts good enough to make the QLD team even after Slater was ruled out and that it seemed the QLD selectors may agree with me (quote below, bold for ease), then I’m willing to go out on a limb here and say it seems the QLD selectors also thought Boyd wasn’t a good option.

read his next sentance

“We needed a guy like Milford who has been around the group for most of the week."

That suggests that him taking the holiday and not being in camp played a part in the decision for him not to play

read his next sentance

“We needed a guy like Milford who has been around the group for most of the week."

That suggests that him taking the holiday and not being in camp played a part in the decision for him not to play

No it doesn't. It suggests that if you aren't there, you're no chance, not if you are there, you are a chance

Parker was there too .Was he a chance?

Disagree. If you have a family holiday booked, and the boss of the part time gig you took up last year rings to say "Hey, you wanna come hang out with the future players for no pay, no jersey, and no holiday with your family?", would you? Even if you loved the company it was?

I doubt that's what he said. Would have een more along the lines of. "Wanna help bring through the next group of guys to wear that jersey you respect so much to help ensure the team remains great going intothe future? It would really be helping me out in this transition period"

No it doesn't. It suggests that if you aren't there, you're no chance, not if you are there, you are a chance

Parker was there too .Was he a chance?

firstly Parker is not a player ...

secondly Lockyer says the discussed Boyd, then he goes on to say how they needed someone who had been around the team all week, like Milford.

veteran players who have zero chance of getting a call-up don't go into the origin camps

I don't really care whether you are eating humble pie or not, I'm interested in having a discussion not an e-peen measuring contest.

All you or I have to go off is the articles in the media that Foordy has already posted. I have taken them to mean exactly what was said in them, you are taking it another way so there is really nothing further to discuss because we will not get any further info on that.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • lynx000
  • Allo
  • NSW stables
  • Skyblues87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Clintos
  • Stix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.