Darius Boyd - FOG166

firstly Parker is not a player ...

secondly Lockyer says the discussed Boyd, then he goes on to say how they needed someone who had been around the team all week, like Milford.

veteran players who have zero chance of getting a call-up don't go into the origin camps

I would hope Lockyer discussed him. That still doesn't mean he was considered. That discussion could have been:

L: So, what about Boyd?
K: **** No
L: Ponga
K: Yep

Cameron Smith was also in camp. Veteran player, who was called to camp, with no intention of playing.

I don't really care whether you are eating humble pie or not, I'm interested in having a discussion not an e-peen measuring contest.

All you or I have to go off is the articles in the media that Foordy has already posted. I have taken them to mean exactly what was said in them, you are taking it another way so there is really nothing further to discuss because we will not get any further info on that.

I still haven't read an article where anything solid was said though. So it's all opinion, assumption, and filling in the blanks, which is fine, so long as it's not being posted like it's fact.

Did this not all happen on the Monday / Tuesday? The same day Slater was ruled out and they flew Milford and Ponga to Melbourne?

No, it didn't. This happened when the shadow squad was brought in.

I'm pretty sure Boyd refused on the basis that he was just going to shadow, and it was a "you might be selected" type deal. He told Kev I'm either in the team, or I'm not interested.

That's my take on events, there's no clear answer here, but based on what transpired I think it's pretty obvious that's what happened. He's not going to knock back 30k+ and a chance to play origin to go on a holiday, especially when he not long before said he'd love to play, and was hoping to be selected.

read his next sentance

“We needed a guy like Milford who has been around the group for most of the week."

That suggests that him taking the holiday and not being in camp played a part in the decision for him not to play
Please.

Boyd has played (close to?) 30 origins, 2 of which were last year.

If they were seriously considering him, he would slot in straight away, no problems whatsoever. Just like Thurston did last year and Langer did from the UK.

I don’t buy that at all.

Boyd had a good run. There's faster more dynamic players ahead of him now. No shame.

I don't really see your point. He was asked in to camp to hang around basically and refused because he had a holiday booked. Who is disputing that?

Read Kevvies quotes? Clearly stating he wasn't going to be in the team. He and Darius both knew he wasn't where he needed to be to make the team.

Read Kevvies quotes? Clearly stating he wasn't going to be in the team. He and Darius both knew he wasn't where he needed to be to make the team.

I know. I feel like we are arguing different things. I don't believe Boyd would be in the team, I mean FFS Oates can't make the team.

I'm simply saying I don't see anything wrong with him saying no to the opportunity to go into camp and hang out and instead going on a holiday with his family.

You’re talking about the beginning of camp, I’m talking about 1-2 days before the game when Slater was a confirmed non-starter.

My point still stands - Boyd wasn’t considered to replace Slater. Why is that? He knows the plays, he knows the team, he is experienced.

If you have conclusive evidence that proves otherwise, please share it and I’ll be happy to eat humble pie.

I don't really care whether you are eating humble pie or not, I'm interested in having a discussion not an e-peen measuring contest.

All you or I have to go off is the articles in the media that Foordy has already posted. I have taken them to mean exactly what was said in them, you are taking it another way so there is really nothing further to discuss because we will not get any further info on that.

I know. I feel like we are arguing different things. I don't believe Boyd would be in the team, I mean FFS Oates can't make the team.

I'm simply saying I don't see anything wrong with him saying no to the opportunity to go into camp and hang out and instead going on a holiday with his family.
SMH.

While that may be the case, you've been having a totally different discussion this whole time - which is why I said initially that we were talking about 2 different timelines. However, rather than read the dialogue in its entirety, you deflected my comment and went on to tell me that you didn't want to have a virtual **** measuring contest but a discussion instead. I didn't respond as I had already made my thoughts clear in the thread.

Perhaps if you had read the entire conversation and not just interjected halfway through, there wouldn't be any confusion.

However, if it still isn't clear; @Nashy referenced the quotes from Walters - they confirm exactly what I was trying to say. Boyd was not considered for selection because they don't think (and in this case, no one else's opinion matters) he warrants selection - no other reason.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.