• Billy Slater

• Darius Boyd

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
When Kevin Walters announced the Maroons Squad for Game I, he famously got emotional when he revealed that Billy Slater had failed to make the team. Returning from a career threatening shoulder injury, the mass media were convinced the legendary fullback would be a shoe-in for the spot, only for Kevie to favour the Australian and Origin incumbent.

Do you guys think he should backflip heading into Game II and go with Slater?

Personally, I feel like Slater's Origin career is over and save for an injury he should focus all his efforts on club football. I believe Boyd should be allowed to hold his role in the team and next season the Maroons should look to bring either Cameron Munster or Valentine Holmes for the fullback role, with Boyd competing for a wing position.

I will say if Kevie does look to bring some more strike to the fullback role, that he doesn't give Boyd the wing spot. I'd much rather see a wing pairing of Oates/Holmes than Boyd/Holmes or Oates/Boyd.

No, Boyd should stay at fullback.

I'm in favour of putting Slater on the bench and do what we did in 2008 which was successful.

It could still work if done right.

Boyd to centre to replace O'Neil.
Slater to fullback and hopefully he retires from rep footy after a series win this year!

QLD are really in a transition period right now. Not much value to bringing Slater in when we've got Valentine Holmes ready to play on the wing now. Slater is an all time great but he's had his time. He won't be there next season.

Chuck a vote up please

If there's a few things I can say about Slater, it's that he still has a much faster reaction time than any other player in the game. This paired with the way he accelerates off the mark is just incredible. He's one of the most competitive players in the NRL too, and definitely has a much better running game than Boyd. I'm pretty sure they are going to bring him into the side, especially after the way O'Neill played. I agree with Pete that we should be looking at Munster or Holmes as a fullback option in the very near future though.

Slater could be back, I feel he could've stopped a couple of the NSW tries but Boyd wasn't at fault and did everything he could for Queensland. If I was a Maroons fan I would be 50/50 on this.

If Slater continues to play well in next 2 weeks, he's a must pick IMO.

Why bring billy back for two games when he'll inevitably be left out next year, it doesn't make sense. He's old and injury prone. Yes he's come back in great nick but it's not worth it.

Why bring billy back for two games when he'll inevitably be left out next year, it doesn't make sense. He's old and injury prone. Yes he's come back in great nick but it's not worth it.

Still want to win don't we??

We won last year without him. Dropping Boyd and selecting slater is something NSW would do. Reactionary and ridiculous.

We had Inglis and the year before that Hodges.
We need Slater for this one last series.
Then look to blood Holmes next year.

The loss had nothing to do with our backs (well Oniell was bad).

Boyd was good and has runs on the board and Gagai and Oates have been two of our best on the wing since the start of the last series. We'd have to move two players from their best positions to accomodate a bloke held together by strapping tape. I don't know what the answer to our centre position problem is, but Gagai has proved he's enormously effective on the wing, and shouldn't be moved.

Slater at fullback. I'd feel more confident with both in the team.

We won last year without him. Dropping Boyd and selecting slater is something NSW would do. Reactionary and ridiculous.

I certainly wouldn't drop Boyd, but he was ineffective last night in the way he plays a fullbacks role. Being a link man out wide means **** all when the ball isn't getting out there. Middle of the ground was where all the space was and that's where Slater does come into his own. The kick that Smith put in for Cronk would have been gobbled up by Slater.....

That said, if Gagai moves into the centres and Thurston is back, Boyd would have opportunity to do what he does best in creating the overlap with his outside backs. At least with Gagai, in comparison with fucken Justin Oneil, he has something to work with.

I still don't see what's wrong with Slater on the wing....wingers roam all over the place. He can inject himself into the game whenever and wherever he wants. A piece of his x-factor last night, could have kept us in the game.

1. Boyd
2. Slater
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Oats
6. Thurston
7. Cronk

Holmes can wait until next year for mine .....

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bronx48
  • Volvo Driver
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Justwin
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Organix
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • broncsgoat
  • Midean
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.