Darius Boyd, where art thou?

And it's not like he ever gets smashed or pushed back when he does take a hit up. Just don't get it. He can easily kick start our sets if he wanted.

I'm not asking him to do it every time, there's been numerous times where handing it off to Oates has gained us big meters. There's just been so many times that him bringing it back with steam would have worked out so much better...but no, he hands it off to someone else to get belted instead. There's also something to be said for leading by example....

I'm not asking him to do it every time, there's been numerous times where handing it off to Oates has gained us big meters. There's just been so many times that him bringing it back with steam would have worked out so much better...but no, he hands it off to someone else to get belted instead. There's also something to be said for leading by example....
I think handing it off to oates is almost always the wrong call. Oates gets huge metres as second hit up, when boyd does it he makes about 3 metres usually. Would be better off boyd catching it, charging it up, and then oates charging it up hard again on tackle 2.

I think handing it off to oates is almost always the wrong call. Oates gets huge metres as second hit up, when boyd does it he makes about 3 metres usually. Would be better off boyd catching it, charging it up, and then oates charging it up hard again on tackle 2.

I sort of agree. You'd want Oates more on tackle 2. On tackle 1, I'd prefer someone better in broken field play, try to get through a gap.

Additionally, this is part of why Darius will never be a 'great' fullback when his career is over. He doesn't have the speed or elusiveness to run around or through chasers and turn the kick return into attack. Sure he can pass it if it's on and achieve it that way, but that's a rarity at best.

I've been critical of him catting away from hit ups and for a period there he was actually putting in and at least not slowing down. That probably coincided with Oates's absence though.

His insistence on passing backwards is detrimental as whatever steam Oates builds up is negated by the chasers being where Boyd would've been tackled anyway so he only makes an extra 5m or so after where Boyd should've been tackled and now we've used up his one hit up for that set gaining 0-5m

Last edited:
The only reason I think this is important to bring up, is that 3.5 over the next 4 years is a huge chunk of salary. Based off 2016 form, I just don't that that is justified.

I honestly don't think he was. He is very average but has always had good job security, and usually played for decent teams (Broncos, Dragons, QLD, Australia (not knights obviously)). I just hate how often he gets the ball, freaks out like a deer in headlights and just stands still and gets tackled. I honestly don't know where his praise comes from. He's decent catching bombs, pretty terrible with grubbers, terrible as last line defense and has no running game...
There are a couple of clues as to why you may not be seeing the whole picture, I've highlighted them.

He has certainly been far from his best as of late but to say that he is average is farcical. I think his career achievements speak for themselves. That said, I never believed he has the tools to be a captain. He has proven to shine brightest in Origin and Kangaroo sides where all he had to do was turn up and play. While he seems to have grown quite a bit as a person, I still don't believe he has the leadership/personality to lead a team.

I guess these threads are the norm when you have a big loss. But seriously blaming perhaps our most consistent player for the past two years for one loss is a cop out. The whole team lost that game not just Darius Boyd. He is a big game player and will most likely be our best player through the finals like he always is.

He isn't consistent at all he's the most up and down player we have. Boyd is really a rocks or diamonds player.

He isn't consistent at all he's the most up and down player we have. Boyd is really a rocks or diamonds player.

I feel I must ask this question at this time, do you watch Broncos games or not? Boyd's the model for consistency in our team. Every single player in the NRL has bad games, yes he had a bad game on the weekend but he most certainly has not been bad the whole season

I guess these threads are the norm when you have a big loss. But seriously blaming perhaps our most consistent player for the past two years for one loss is a cop out. The whole team lost that game not just Darius Boyd. He is a big game player and will most likely be our best player through the finals like he always is.
I am not blaming him for the loss, the whole team was off. But he is the captain, big money contract and plays in arguably one of the most vital positions in the game. It definitely does not help having your captain show next to no heart in most games he plays. He's done a 'strong' hittup about 5 times all season. Other fullbacks do this 10+ times a game. He needs to pull his finger out. It's like he's just playing to make sure he doesn't get hurt. He hardly breaks any tackles either, which is ridiculous for someone of his size. He just doesn't try.

So last weeks huge loss was the tip of the ice berg for me. Darius Boyd is grossly overrated in my opinion and hasn't had a great season as captain. Against the eels there were several times where he essentially opted to not even try and tackle the opponent. One of these instances was when Semi made one of his many breaks, the other being when Jennings went down the side and even though Darius was there, he just didn't tackle him.

My question is, how is the team supposed to get motivated when your captain has no heart? He hardly did a hit up, threw the ball to Oates under pressure for no reason on a kick return which lead to a knock on. He just refuses to get involved. He is often out of position for kicks close to the line, and is never there in support when someone like Milford, Roberts or Moga make a break.

Surely other people are fed up with his efforts lately as well? Demanding around $800k a season seems ridiculous. Would much rather throw Bird at fullback and splash that cash on Ash Taylor or something.

since you've shown up, we must have lost on the weekend and you've come to bag someone out

since you've shown up, we must have lost on the weekend and you've come to bag someone out
Pretty sure most Broncos fans would agree that Boyd has had some very lackluster games this season, and has often not shown a true desire to stop an opponent from scoring. Missing a tackle is one thing, not being in the correct position repeatedly, and more worryingly, being in the position to stop someone and not trying to do so it the worrying aspect.

This thread got ridiculous when rubbish stats started being thrown around..

I think its less that he's lazy, and more that he's used up. Fullbacks don't normally defend in the line for a reason, and add to that he's a captain, in his thirties and it all begins to add up.
That drop catch he did, against the eels, is the first one i have seen in 3 years from him. There may be others but theyre rare. Whilst radrada ran through him easily, he did the same against Roberts, who is much faster. For those critisizing him, its worth remembering, whilst he rarely if ever has broken the line on returns, he is also one of the safest taking the ball out of his in goal area, has been inspirational at times in defence, and usually contributes more on 2nd and 3rd tackles than most fullbacks do. Those things aren't always noticed, but believe me, getting out and avoiding repeat sets are not to quibbled at. Nor is a driving tackle from your fullback and captain something to be ignored. He tries hard but isn't a machine that can run endlessly without hiccups and even machines break down when run too long. I think he needs a break. If he isn't rested it might be time for wb to let him off some training and just get away to someplace quiet with the family to recharge.

I think its less that he's lazy, and more that he's used up. Fullbacks don't normally defend in the line for a reason, and add to that he's a captain, in his thirties and it all begins to add up.
That drop catch he did, against the eels, is the first one i have seen in 3 years from him. There may be others but theyre rare. Whilst radrada ran through him easily, he did the same against Roberts, who is much faster. For those critisizing him, its worth remembering, whilst he rarely if ever has broken the line on returns, he is also one of the safest taking the ball out of his in goal area, has been inspirational at times in defence, and usually contributes more on 2nd and 3rd tackles than most fullbacks do. Those things aren't always noticed, but believe me, getting out and avoiding repeat sets are not to quibbled at. Nor is a driving tackle from your fullback and captain something to be ignored. He tries hard but isn't a machine that can run endlessly without hiccups and even machines break down when run too long. I think he needs a break. If he isn't rested it might be time for wb to let him off some training and just get away to someplace quiet with the family to recharge.

Bit late for a break now isn't it? He did have that injury layoff after origin too. I think he should be elite enough to power through until the end of season

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bongo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.