Dave Smith quits as NRL CEO

Gus would make rule to award tries if it's an exciting passage of play

Pick someone with some balls to stand up for the game.

The game went from nearly losing 10 million, to gaining 49.9 million under his reign.

To act like he was an out and out failure is just wrong. Sure, I don't expect everyone to agree with every single decision he made, but Smith was all about growing the brand of Rugby League and from that measure he was a success.

I don't know the full story but there are whispers out there suggesting that Murdoch's little bitch fit over Smith trying to get the best TV rights deal for the game proved too much and things just became too difficult. Unsure of the validity, but that's the theory doing the rounds.

Hopefully whoever steps in does a better job because it would ensure the code has a strong future. However, with that said I thought Smith did a good job and would hate to think people didn't rate him for arbitrary reasons like not knowing who Cam Smith or Ben Barba were.

The game went from nearly losing 10 million, to gaining 49.9 million under his reign.

To act like he was an out and out failure is just wrong. Sure, I don't expect everyone to agree with every single decision he made, but Smith was all about growing the brand of Rugby League and from that measure he was a success.

I don't know the full story but there are whispers out there suggesting that Murdoch's little bitch fit over Smith trying to get the best TV rights deal for the game proved too much and things just became too difficult. Unsure of the validity, but that's the theory doing the rounds.

Hopefully whoever steps in does a better job because it would ensure the code has a strong future. However, with that said I thought Smith did a good job and would hate to think people didn't rate him for arbitrary reasons like not knowing who Cam Smith or Ben Barba were.

Smith deserves to be marked as harshly for his stuff ups as he does for his successes. He certainly did some positive things, but that was his job.

He did some really stupid, near incompetent things as well and they can't be glossed over just because he has finally throw in the towel.

He was out of his depth from the start. People might say that it's no big deal that he didn't know who the captain of Australia is, but I would say it is a fair reflection of his understanding and care for the game. While it isn't essential for a CEO to be an expert in the core product of his organisation (although it's pretty poor if they aren't) it is pretty difficult to garner respect of give people any confidence in your ability of you don't know the basics. As a basic rule, if my wife knows more about rugby league than you, then you shouldn't be in charge of the game.

Pick someone with some balls to stand up for the game.

Thing is, I think that's exactly what Smith was doing when he signed over the TV rights. He knew that without the NRL, Fox would be fucked. The NRL holds all the cards. Nine went from paying $90 million a year to $185 million, over double, and if you want exposure in the blue-collar market, the answer is free-to-air, not Pay TV. Locking that in, to me, does show balls.

Fox fucked without the NRL? They're the ones that came out and said they didn't need it, not the other way around.

He's a fucking idiot. Spoke to 9 and 9 only, he didn't even involve the games principal fucking sponsor about the broadcast deal, and they're the biggest provider of internet, and wireless networks across the country.

That alone is the reason I wanted him gone. You don't lock out the biggest money makers and partners of the game. Especially to negotiate with the ***** that just dragged your national captain through the mud.

He's a shitbag, and I'm glad he's fucking gone.

Lets be honest here Pete, the game went from nearly losing 10 million to gaining 49.9 million because of the last tv deal which was signed before he started. He can thank Gallop for that. Smith really lost his job because he refused to negotiate with foxwhich was stupid because they are a huge player for the tv rights deal along with 9.

Fox fucked without the NRL? They're the ones that came out and said they didn't need it, not the other way around.

He's a fucking idiot. Spoke to 9 and 9 only, he didn't even involve the games principal fucking sponsor about the broadcast deal, and they're the biggest provider of internet, and wireless networks across the country.

That alone is the reason I wanted him gone. You don't lock out the biggest money makers and partners of the game. Especially to negotiate with the ***** that just dragged your national captain through the mud.

He's a shitbag, and I'm glad he's fucking gone.

I'm confused - did the NRL say they didn't need Fox, or did Fox say they didn't need the NRL?

I think Smith negotiated the free to air first and gave Nein four games which immediately cut Fox out of a game.

Murdoch then cracked the shits and said, well we don't like you anyway, we love AFL.

Fox will still bid for the other four, they have too much to lose. The AFL is also broadcast on FTA isn't it, so they won't bring in or keep customers with AFL alone.

The point is Smith negotiated solely with Nein for the rights to their pick of the best four games of each round. That's fucking stupid, like next level stupid. That is business 101 to play each stakeholder off each other to achieve the highest price.

The point is Smith negotiated solely with Nein for the rights to their pick of the best four games of each round. That's fucking stupid, like next level stupid. That is business 101 to play each stakeholder off each other to achieve the highest price.

Has it specifically been said that 9 get to pick all 4 games before the rest get thrown elsewhere? I'm not being deliberately vague, I honestly haven't read in to it that far.

Has it specifically been said that 9 get to pick all 4 games before the rest get thrown elsewhere? I'm not being deliberately vague, I honestly haven't read in to it that far.

I thought I had read that but could be wrong, I'll try to find out.

It was this article that I read

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...490104634?sv=c4fd5ba2691ff22bbbf5373d3154633c

Upon re-reading I must have just extrapolated from this

So smug was Smith about the deal that he told anyone who would listen that Foxtel would now have no choice but to jump on and pay top dollar for the dregs of the games.

Last edited:
He did some really stupid, near incompetent things as well and they can't be glossed over just because he has finally throw in the towel.

Such as?

He can thank Gallop for that.

Why? It was John Grant and the Commission who brokered the deal.

While the TV rights negotiation deal played a key role, it was the growth in other key areas such as Major Events (from $37 to $52 million), Sponsorship (20.6 to 27 million) and Licensing (23 million to 37.6 million) that played a key role in the surplus. Key areas that Smith played a large role in.

So he's basically good at one thing, and shit at the rest?

I thought I had read that but could be wrong, I'll try to find out.

It was this article that I read

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...490104634?sv=c4fd5ba2691ff22bbbf5373d3154633c

Upon re-reading I must have just extrapolated from this

You know what? At the risk of ruining my chances of becoming the CEO of a national top-level sporting code, or if I do, not being well liked by the fans, I say BRAVO to Smith. If Nine want to rape the game, they can at least pay top dollar for the privilege. Did I read correctly that their price has gone from $90 million a year to $185 million a year? Good shit. The big winner ultimately might be whoever secured the online rights. If Fox can't stump up the cash that the NRL deserves, then imagine the boon for whatever prospective online rights holder if they get exclusive rights to those remaining 4 games. That there is one way to absolutely **** over any competitor.

Personally, as someone who can't afford to have Pay TV, having FTA league 4 nights a week is fucking awesome for me (not so much for my marriage). And like I said, blue-collar povs like me are the game's lifeblood. Thanks Banker Steve.

IIRC the deal with nein also removes the delayed game Friday nights, so there will be live NRL Thursday to Sunday. Plus rumoured that there is scope in the deal to allow for all games simulcast on pay tv for a small financial penalty. And it's reported there is also scope for expansion within the new tv deal so shit is future-proofed and looking good.

Whether Roop gives us the same level of overs as he did to AFL isn't all that important, as long as we get market value. The biggest thing I'm looking for is the digital rights, Telstra have done a shit job with the current online rights in order to protect Foxtel. If that can be remedied and I can buy an NRL digital pass that works well I'll be ecfuckingstatic.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Ondi
  • maddo
  • Socnorb
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • The Strapper
  • Mr Fourex
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.