David Shillington

K

koshy

U18 Player
Jul 25, 2014
Been a lot of discussion over props during the year. With the arrival of Wayne next year could Dave be an option of the Broncos? He has openly said he is very keen for a move to Brisbane and would work well with Wayne Bennet. It is one of the big mistakes that the Broncos had a shot at signing him but decided on Martin Kennedy instead (for more money) and unfortunately for us that turned out to be the wrong call. Both his brothers Mark and John were signed by the Broncos during there early days and the Broncos felt they missed out on the best of the boys in Dave. He is contracted to the Raiders for one more year but does have an interesting clause that states he can leave his contract early if a contract comes up with a Queensland club. After an average season in 2013 he has played well this year for the raiders. He would add size and aggression to the pack and gives us something we are sorely missing at the moment. He is still quite young for a prop and could tie us over for the next few years. Our younger props who play up the middle and not on the fringes like Molo, Hala and Ajuma Adams are all a season or two off being ready but could be primed by the time Shillington is done. The only sticking point is Titans are losing Bailey, Minichello and Ashley Harrison so they are desperate to sign some size in the pack.

Troncy was the man! I don't rate Shillington though, and would only take him for 200K per year or less, which he wouldn't agree to, so it'll hopefully never happen.

Shillington has actually been playing really good footy of late. He would only be a chance if Kennedy leaves and he comes at a cheap price.

Shillington has actually been playing really good footy of late. He would only be a chance if Kennedy leaves and he comes at a cheap price.

Which I'm okay with, because Kennedy will never get a fair go, and Shillington would be valuable if he was willing to significantly lower his wage to play with us.

Which I'm okay with, because Kennedy will never get a fair go, and Shillington would be valuable if he was willing to significantly lower his wage to play with us.

Didn't he get a fair go at the start of the year while he did his best Learoyd-Lahrs impersonation? Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Shillo has definitely been playing well this season, easily the best prop for the Raiders, he seems like a prime candidate for Bennett recruitment (30+, someone who will be desperate for a premiership before they retire)

I'd sooner try to lure Shane Tronc out of retirement

"haters gonna hate" but thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought out and insightful post. Awesome suggestion about a suitable replacement instead.. Might be a few major differences between Tronc and Shillo being = 8 games for Queensland, 14 tests for Australia and an appearance for NRL all stars...his resume is a little more impressive.

"haters gonna hate" but thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought out and insightful post. Awesome suggestion about a suitable replacement instead.. Might be a few major differences between Tronc and Shillo being = 8 games for Queensland, 14 tests for Australia and an appearance for NRL all stars...his resume is a little more impressive.

And he hasn't been retired for years due to injury... but nah he would be better haha

he also made 162 metres and three offloads against Melbourne in a game where he was by far best on field for the raiders.

Kennedy was given 8 games but didn't really do much to impress. People point to the opening minutes of the Cowboys game as the reason he was relegated to ISC but it was more probably the culmination of a few sub-par performances. We won four of them though.

I thought he played alright against the Warriors and deserved another go. Honestly, the team selections just baffle me. Players who are contributing to a win never seem to get a fair go and are overlooked for guys who are chronically out of form.

I hope he gets another go. Back on topic, Shillington hasn't played too bad for the Raiders. A bit inconsistent but with the season they're having that applies to pretty much the whole team (yes, even the Messiah Milford has gone missing on a few occasions). I think Shillo could offer us something. I wouldn't be too bent out of shape if he finds himself in a Brisbane jersey.

Last edited:
Depends entirely on how much he'll cost. He'd obviously be good enough to make our 17 and doesn't appear to be a dickhead or a destabilising force. Would I take him at 100k a season? Definitely. Would I take him for 500k? Hell no. Ultimately I think that even though he's probably looking at a paycut wherever he ends up, there will be some team willing to offer him more than I'd be comfortable with. Until Hunt signs his next contract we don't know how much money we'll have for name-brand forwards anyhow.

He's far better than Kennedy, that's for sure. So is Paul Vaughan.

Didn't he get a fair go at the start of the year while he did his best Learoyd-Lahrs impersonation? Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

That was Dane Carlaw.

Random fact, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs was the fastest Bronco over 200m when he was here.

And it was just Tom Leyroid IIRC.

I would like Shillo at the club.

Bennett strikes me as the kind of coach that could get him to perform at his best consistently.

Although, if I was going to sign a prop from the Raiders, I would choose Vaughan first.

:laugh:

Active Now

• theshed
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • Cavalo
  • johnny plath
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behold
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Broncosgirl
  • HarryAllan7
  • IceWorks
  • Manifesto
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jarro65
  • mystico
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.