David Stagg

Agree. Parker's 80-minute workhorse reputation is a myth. He's very ineffective one on one, particularly close to our line, and is often the one that's lazy in coming across. Despite his POTY award I still don't rate him.

I'd have Stagg back in a heart beat, and with Henjak in charge he'd actually let Stagg do something in attack.

im gonna agree with Nashy - compared to Staggs 2009 form, he WAS useless at the broncos. while he was here i thought he was useless, but now id actually almost welcome him back. that shows how much his form has improved lol.

Coxy said:
Agree. Parker's 80-minute workhorse reputation is a myth. He's very ineffective one on one, particularly close to our line, and is often the one that's lazy in coming across. Despite his POTY award I still don't rate him.

I'd have Stagg back in a heart beat, and with Henjak in charge he'd actually let Stagg do something in attack.

Agreed. Parker suffers from the Hindmarsh/Fitzgibbon disease - high work rate is not better than effective work. Give me a lock such as *spew in mouth* Gallen or 2009 Stagg who can a) potentially break the line or offload, b) pull off a couple bell ringers one on one and c) stings in defence.

Parker although POTY, runs sideways too much and 95% of his tackles are passive and the opposition get a quick ruck. He needs to watch tapes of Dallas Johnson in big games - go hard, get smashed, get up quick, then get stuck in in defense. Although that would probably mess up his hair so I can't see it happening.

Anonymous person said:
im gonna agree with Nashy - compared to Staggs 2009 form, he WAS useless at the broncos. while he was here i thought he was useless, but now id actually almost welcome him back. that shows how much his form has improved lol.

Well that's a start [icon_lol1.

Oh and just so you don't think I am totally biased, yes I agree that Bennett's game plans over the years did Stagg no favours. He was basically just a defensive workhorse, but was far from useless. Like I said, his performance in the 2006 Grand Final was fantastic (mainly his defence), and 2005 was a season in which I thought he was in our top 4 or 5 players for the season (although I do admit that given our overall performance that season, that doesn't say a real lot [icon_lol1. ) I just think that Stagg was perceived on here to be a tackler WITH NO ATTACKING ABILITY. And I think his 2009 form has proven them wrong.

Haha yeah. We (Tee and I) call him Oztag for a reason. He tries his spin on nearly every run, which sometimes works, but more often than not has him driven sideways and dominated. And in defence his tackles probably hurt as much as a tag most of the time.

I have always rated Stagg, I was sorry to see him leave, but also could understand why they let him go. Basically his most effective and best style of play (as we have seen as the Bulldogs this year) didn't fit into how our coaching staff past and present saw him being used and there wasn't a real place for him at the Broncos with our playing structure. I am very happy to see him getting the success he deserves at the Dogs, but I wish we could have found a way to use him in that manner.

Oh and Parker always had the advantage of kicking goals. If we had another willing decent goal-kicker in the team I think he would find it harder to keep his spot.

I wouldn't call kicking at 60-odd per cent the 'advantage' of kicking goals lol.

It is when there is no-one else in the club willing to kick at any %

Parker has owned this year, I am right, others wrong.

Case closed...

Helps that Parker plays so many minutes for us as well. I rate him as one of my favs. His very loyal to Brisbane as well.

I like the Wikipedia definition of a lock forward:

“A lock forward has the broadest role of any of the forwards. In defence their role is often to quickly move away from the back of the scrum, and make the first tackle. As well as co-ordinating the defensive effort in the forwards, in attack they will often be a creative player with the vision and skill to set up play from first receiver, and provide another option for the half-backs. From an attacking scrum they will sometimes pick the ball up themselves and run or pass, taking pressure from the halfback/scrum half. Loose forwards are also usually strong running players, performing the role of another second rower. Many notable locks, such as Brad Fittler or Paul Sculthorpe in recent years, have also played at five-eighth, as the roles can be very similar.”

IMO, Parker doesn't fit that description, and I and a few others has posted before that Parker is NOT a lock and never will be.

Stagg at the Doggies seems to fit the description above pretty well. He's been given the chance to play the proper role of a good lock, and therefore blossomed.

I'd also have him back in a heartbeat, especially under Henjak. I reckon Bennett's style and game plans largely stifled Stagg's talent.

Hopefully Glenn will be our answer for lock next season.

Over the years Bennett has had great success improving forwards, by simplifying their contribution to the team. Players such as Hohn, Allen, Gee, Civo to just name a few were all very talented ball playing forwards in their early days but Bennett pushed that out of their game so they could focus on their core target making meters and making tackles. And each one of those players improved as players under that strategy.
However he got it wrong with Stagg. As proven by his year at the Dogs (and he is early years coming through the grades at Reddy)., Staggy was being wasted as a tackling machine. He was capable of being both the tackling machine and he could add an attacking dimension.

I'd love him back but I have a huge opinion of Alex Glenn. He can offer everything Stagg can and then some. IMO Alex Glenn is the best "total package" footballer to come through the Bronco ranks since Lockyer.

Totally agree Matt. I want Glenn to have the 13 jersey next season, but I can't see Henjak unseating golden boy Parker.

Stagg would have been awesome defensively for the Broncs this year, especially the way we played Dave Taylor out on the fringes.

Yes, just as he was awesome defensively the last 4 years. But then people would say "he's useless" because he didn't contribute in attack.

The reason he's got so many accolades for his Bulldogs form was while in possession. He was making breaks, offloading, setting up his outside men, he was playing a brilliant lock forward's game. Stuff Corey Parker isn't that good at to be honest.

Hmmmm, I think Parker is copping it a bit harsh on here. Sure his form this year wasn't as good as Stagg's, but he still did a good job, and improved 1000% on 2008.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Bongo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Pablo
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.