Dearden

Alfie was probably rubbish too at 19, and I’m sure if we kept the low level stats like we do these days it wouldn’t be favourable.
Edit: I can’t count

Last edited:
I concede I look at Milford through rose coloured glasses (so said the other cloudshouter on here) and I accept it is a bit of blind optimism to expect him to be at his very best next year, however I really rate Milford's kicking game. In the very few matches he was on this year with his kicking, he controlled those games. Both long and short, kicking for Coates and behind the line.

I also believe he did work really well with Dearden, they clicked, and for mine, a half is at his best, shows his best, in combination with his 5/8. I feel Dearden will come along in leaps and bounds with a firing 5/8, and importantly, behind an effective pack. As posted above, it is hard on Dearden to be overly critical of him playing in the rabble we are this year. I feel next year, all things being equal, he will show if he can live up to expectations.
100% agree

I think Milf and Dearden will be our halves next year and if we get some luck or any luck at all (can we be anymore unlucky than this year??) then I think we should go much better than this year (not hard I know).

In regards to my comment on kicking I think the criticism at the moment is purely about his kicking game, but I was pointing out how quickly a kicking game can turnaround (as evidenced by BHunt). We also haven't really got a good gauge on his short kicking game, because we're never inside the opposition 20m...

I dont really think many other parts of his game can be criticised with what he's shown, but also considering the tripe around him... he likes to take the line on, he gets his second rower 1v1, he has a bullet long pass.

The only criticism I could have is he doesn't appear to have breakaway speed... which is one thing the NSWRL media do love in a young half. But he does have strength to get through the line (hence Bhunt lite... 2014/15 Bhunt lite.. not current BHunt lite... he's already more effective than current Bhunt)

Last edited:
Most top young halves have done an apprenticeship under a senior half i.e. cleary had maloney, keary had cronk, munster had cronk etc.

Dearden has had noone to learn from/set an example on the field, so it will take some time.

It is true about halves taking time to mature, cleary is getting better as he ages, moses is too and people forget, keary is 28!

100% agree

I think Milf and Dearden will be our halves next year and if we get some luck or any luck at all (can we be anymore unlucky than this year??) then I think we should go much better than this year (not hard I know).

In regards to my comment on kicking I think the criticism at the moment is purely about his kicking game, but I was pointing out how quickly a kicking game can turnaround (as evidenced by BHunt). We also haven't really got a good gauge on his short kicking game, because we're never inside the opposition 20m...

I dont really think many other parts of his game can be criticised with what he's shown, but also considering the tripe around him... he likes to take the line on, he gets his second rower 1v1, he has a bullet long pass.

The only criticism I could have is he doesn't appear to have breakaway speed... which is one thing the NSWRL media do love in a young half. But he does have strength to get through the line (hence Bhunt lite... 2014/15 Bhunt lite.. not current BHunt lite... he's already more effective than current Bhunt)

Dearden's junior highlight reels show he has all the skills, including speed, and as we have seen, excellent defence. I can't wait to see him with a good 5/8 and behind a quality pack that actually goes forward so our halves have that platform on which to create. I see really good things happening next year with our halves. And yes, he is 19 so it will take time for him to learn his craft at NRL level.

Last edited:
Seriously; this coming from the bloke who relentlessly provides excuses as to why Milford’s poor performances are everyone else’s fault, after 180 or so games no less (plus representative games).

With that in mind, pretend he is Milford and consider that Dearden maybe hasn’t looked so great because the team around him is in shambles. Then afford him the same latitude you would Milford, particularly as Milford’s stats this year aren’t any better:

1 try, 4 TA, 1 LB, 1 LBA.

After Dearden has played 50 or more games, in a decent team (doesn’t even need to be a great team) and strung a series of games together with the same blokes, in the same positions, around him, maybe then your questions MIGHT be valid.

But until then, this is just another in a long list of ridiculous posts from you.

I think he looks better in the last 30 min of games when we get desperate. Takes the line on , there’s a urgency to his play directing. If he can bring that to the first 50 instead of just going through the motions will make a huge difference

I know the game isnt SuperCoach and acknowdge he’s tried hard in a dumpster fire team but I would like to have seen more offensive output from the bloke everyone’s hanging our future on.

Dumpster fire. That pretty much sums up Victoria's and Brisbane Broncos 2020. You have to be trolling. Asking a greenhorn to thrive in a dumpster fire? The coach was the arsonist! It is like teaching your child to swim by rowing them out to middle of lake and saying dinner will be at 6. I think Jesus would struggle under your standards. You must think the water into wine thing is so yesterday.

Last edited:
Dumpster fire. That pretty much sums up Victoria's and Brisbane Broncos 2020. You have to be trolling. Asking a greenhorn to thrive in a dumpster fire? The coach was the arsonist! It is like teaching your child to swim by rowing them out to middle of lake and saying dinner will be at 6. I think Jesus would struggle under your standards.
Not expecting him to thrive, would just like a bit more output.
Seriously; this coming from the bloke who relentlessly provides excuses as to why Milford’s poor performances are everyone else’s fault, after 180 or so games no less (plus representative games).

With that in mind, pretend he is Milford and consider that Dearden maybe hasn’t looked so great because the team around him is in shambles. Then afford him the same latitude you would Milford, particularly as Milford’s stats this year aren’t any better:

1 try, 4 TA, 1 LB, 1 LBA.

After Dearden has played 50 or more games, in a decent team (doesn’t even need to be a great team) and strung a series of games together with the same blokes, in the same positions, around him, maybe then your questions MIGHT be valid.

But until then, this is just another in a long list of ridiculous posts from you.
Ease up, I feel it was pretty measured I didn’t say he was shit. This is a forum after all and this is the bloke anointed our future. I saw his stats tonight and was shocked at how poor they were. And it’s false to say I defend milf at every turn. I have said endlessly that he’s been poor since Bennett left (pots year obv).

I think he looks better in the last 30 min of games when we get desperate. Takes the line on , there’s a urgency to his play directing. If he can bring that to the first 50 instead of just going through the motions will make a huge difference

Yep I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The talent and drive is there, that is good enough at this stage. The finesse will hopefully come.

plenty of raw talent that needs refinement ... he could also use a better kicking game.

time to pull Locky out of the boardroom to work with Dearden. unlike our million dollar baby, he'll accept Lockyers help and advice

That’s the point, milf was tearing teams to pieces playing 1,6 or 7 at 18. Tom’s not won a game this season and has little to no offensive output.

I hope he comes good though as he seems like he wants to win (he just can’t atm)
And how'd that work out? Yeah, his kicking is terrible.
But he offers creativity as a first receiver. Watch him play. He touches the ball about 4 times a set.
He's unlike any Young half I've seen in years. Yes polish is needed but the fact that his 1 has phoned it in, he's working with 1 centre, has played half a game with a 6 and his second rowers wouldn't know what's line was if drawn on a whiteboard has to be taken into account.

Halves generally start coming good after they're 24/25. It takes a long time to build up that skill / confidence / situatational awareness under fatigue/pressure.
Tom is showing flashes of what he's capable of and he's a kid really. Just old enough to buy a beer. Give him a few years at least before you start comparing him to the top 10 halves in the comp.

Dearden is excellent, considering how shit our team is and he can still look exceptional means there is alot to work with.

I do think we need an experienced half to work with him atleast for a season(such as Benji) in a good team he would still probably be a season or 2 or way from the starting team but this kid has a massive ceiling, I would be very surprised if he isnt the long term QLD half, he has good ad lib insticts and strong kicking power for his age.

He has all the skills to be the best half of this generation, it's up to our coaching staff to realise that potential.

Last edited:
With a deft little pass on him too, that was perfectly timed.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  • BroncosMan
  • westy316
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • jd87
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • Skathen
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncsNBundy
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.