PLAYER Deine Mariner

Ideally they would have focused on Haas & Fifita while giving Carrigan and Flegler some reps off the bench. Some tough calls would have had to be made over Lodge, Ofahengaue & Pangai and the Broncos would have needed a couple of older bodies just to get the balance right.
Given how poorly all of our senior forwards were playing at the time and how poorly they continued to play once they were moved on, it makes you question the player retention choices from Bennett's second stint.

Given how poorly all of our senior forwards were playing at the time and how poorly they continued to play once they were moved on, it makes you question the player retention choices from Bennett's second stint.
I think Wayne went through a period where he valued the opportunity that professional rugby league provided troubled young men more than he valued results. Though he probably felt he could do both.

Who knows if Wayne could’ve got the best out of them, either on or off the field but one thing is for certain and that’s no coach replacing Bennett would be able to.

It was a really delicate situation and when the Broncos committed to Boyd, McCullough, Milford, Bird, Gillett, Kahu etc. they should have known they were committing to Bennett. To show him the door one year in was really unfair on Seibold because he had no latitude when it came to that roster. The only coach who could have got something out of that roster was Bennett and he's the only one who could have managed it.

Still, it was Seibold who re-signed Lodge, Pangai Jr, Ofahengaue, Flegler etc. on some lucrative contracts. I think these signings were largely met positively on the board, but what we failed to place emphasis on was the balance of the roster. It was completely out of wack and some tough calls had to be made.

As everyone else has pointed out I also feel what you implying is a bit silly but his passing game does need worked that is true. I would use the examples of when he played fullback and threw some shockers as they are more relevant than when he has to throw long passes from dummy half.

I think he has it in him to develop and acceptable passing game for a centre. Plus, as we’ve seen with Herbert you can get away at left centre without even needing to pass.
Okay, so it's not just my imagination then. That's all I was asking.

Btw, commenting on passing game when picking between two centre candidates is hardly "silly." It's absolutely a factor between which might be more suited to the wing or centre. Not the only factor. But a factor.

This is after all, the topic of the thread: where to play Deine Mariner, centre or wing. Maybe we'd like to move Selwyn closer to the ball so he gets to run more. Also a factor.

In any case, this is the Deine thread. Can we take the Cobbo talk back to the Cobbo thread please (so some of us can avoid it)?
Absolutely not. Deine will either play centre or wing for us next season. The question of which comes down to where Selwyn plays. That's going to be the conversation. You can't avoid it.

If you think he should play centre, you'll need to provide an argument why he would be better at it than Selwyn, the more senior player.

I guess Jesse Arthars has to be mentioned in the mix too.

Absolutely not. Deine will either play centre or wing for us next season. The question of which comes down to where Selwyn plays. That's going to be the conversation. You can't avoid it.

If you think he should play centre, you'll need to provide an argument why he would be better at it than Selwyn, the more senior player.

I guess Jesse Arthars has to be mentioned in the mix too.

IMO Selwyn is not a centre defensively. He has so many great strengths on the wing and bringing the ball back from kicks. It would be a crime to push him to play centre and wasting his strike.

For me, Arthars gets to start the season, with Mariner getting more game time to migrate to centre. Arthars just has so much more game experience and showed hes a solid and safe pick.

IMO Selwyn is not a centre defensively. He has so many great strengths on the wing and bringing the ball back from kicks. It would be a crime to push him to play centre and wasting his strike.

For me, Arthars gets to start the season, with Mariner getting more game time to migrate to centre. Arthars just has so much more game experience and showed hes a solid and safe pick.
I found this piece on the role of the modern (2017) centre interesting. He contends the modern centre is more defence than attack and successful teams have a yin-yang centre combo:

"History has shown that teams that have won an NRL premiership typically have a played one centre with footwork and pace who is defensively strong; alongside another centre who has skill with the ability to pass/offload and is defensively strong."
That kind of describes Herbie and Kotoni, though Kotoni does tend to run his winger into touch rather than create an overlap. Both have footwork to burn.
I really don't know with Selwyn.

He's matured into more of a brute this year, and he pulls some surprising skills out of the bag. His defence has massively improved, but we don't see a lot of it. I have no idea about his spatial awareness in creating overlaps - something Herbie sorely lacks - or his bread & butter level passing game. I've only noticed a few wayward long returns coming from his direction, which made me wonder about his passing game in general. It's more of a note-to-watch than a opinion.

If I were pressed on an opinion it would be I'd like to see Selwyn get more ball.

Was it in Selwyn's debut year that he completely schooled Best from centre??

Mostly in defence he completely shut him down

Either way I want to see Selwyn on the left to take advantage of his right arm fend... whether that's wing or centre is the question

The few times Cobbo has played centre, he has looked very much at home there but people need to not expect him to be the complete package straight away. And passing off the ground from dummy half is not on my list of KPIs for a centre at all, that's silly talk.

I think Cobbo stays on the wing, he's just too good there to move. The runs from him and Oates at the start of sets are invaluable (especially with Walsh not seeming too keen to run at the line).

Herbies centre spot will be fought out between Arthars, Mariner and any other reserve plyers in the pre-season.

Was it in Selwyn's debut year that he completely schooled Best from centre??

Mostly in defence he completely shut him down

Either way I want to see Selwyn on the left to take advantage of his right arm fend... whether that's wing or centre is the question

I think he had played wing earlier .
Then Herbert ripped his bicep and Selwyn took over . He def showed Bradman Best who was boss the day he lined up opposite him .

I keep reminiscing about Cobbo in the All Stars game . Played left side . Fended off 3 blokes with his right hand and then ran the length . Def more dangerous when able to use his right hand fend .

That fact that we have 3 genuinely good options to play in that vacant position shows what a good spot the club is in at the moment.

Okay, so it's not just my imagination then. That's all I was asking.

Btw, commenting on passing game when picking between two centre candidates is hardly "silly." It's absolutely a factor between which might be more suited to the wing or centre. Not the only factor. But a factor.

This is after all, the topic of the thread: where to play Deine Mariner, centre or wing. Maybe we'd like to move Selwyn closer to the ball so he gets to run more. Also a factor.
Yeah look I don’t know and to be honest I’m glad it’s not my decision. I was really impressed with Selwyn’s first season where he played centre though so I think 2 seasons in he could probably make a good fist of it. Just depends if you lose more than you gain by moving him

Yeah look I don’t know and to be honest I’m glad it’s not my decision. I was really impressed with Selwyn’s first season where he played centre though so I think 2 seasons in he could probably make a good fist of it. Just depends if you lose more than you gain by moving him
When I'm looking at it I see Selwyn as being more suited to the left side and Mariner being more suited to the right side.

Mariner came through wanting to be a centre, but I can't see why he shouldn't be ok with serving an apprenticeship on the wing in the first instance. Coates came through wanting to be a centre, but looks to be establishing himself on the wing as he settles into first grade.

He's also signed longer than what Staggs is... who's to say Mariner doesn't take over Staggs as the preferred right centre moving forward... or establish himself as an elite right winger.

I think centres are the lowest paid in the comp nowadays aren't they? Maybe becoming a right winger works out better for him anyway, and he's got the body shape to suit either position

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • Waynesaurus
  • davidp
  • Jedhead
  • jarro65
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • pennywisealfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • dasherhalo
  • broncos4life
  • Lostboy
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.