PLAYER Deine Mariner

A Centre's passing ability comes after their running, work rate and ability to break tackles for me, afterall if passing is such an important trait they are wasted in a position they can only do a 1 out with.

Your getting confused with the quality of pass over what should be the instinct to pass in certain situations.

Ofcourse I haven't heard you talk about how many offloads Herbie has given this year that had lead to line breaks and tries and often on the back of a tough carry in the middle.
Fucking hell. All I asked is have you noticed him throwing wobbly passes? I fucking knew this would turn into another shitfest if I tried to add any context. Have you seen him throw wobbly passes or not?

Fucking hell. All I asked is have you noticed him throwing wobbly passes? I fucking knew this would turn into another shitfest if I tried to add any context. Have you seen him throw wobbly passes or not?
Don't get angry, you do this shit with Billy Walters on endless loop.

You did say it should be something to note in your view for Cobbo probably staying at wing other than Centre, therefore I posted what I did above.

Not the 1st winger to throw a poor pass to the half .
Won`t be the last .

Two ways to go with dummy half passing . Stay low spread your feet and pass off the ground or pick it up run a few paces and pass . Selwyn did neither .

Pretty sure Captn Coach Rendigity will point that out in the video review theatre .
See that Sel ? Not like that bro . On my chest or just in front . Thanks Cuz .

I've seen every outside back that ever played throw some terrible passed when they've jumped in to the hooker spot early in an exit set. I can show you two passes that Hodges made, not even from dummy half, in the one game, that would have you writing him off as a centre. Cobbo won't need to pass anyway. His sweet little kicks are guaranteed trust these days. Jog along and find some other hysteria.

Have you seen him throw wobbly passes or not?
Its-a-no-from-me-5ae79b808023b9003671308c.jpg

I've seen every outside back that ever played throw some terrible passed when they've jumped in to the hooker spot early in an exit set. I can show you two passes that Hodges made, not even from dummy half, in the one game, that would have you writing him off as a centre. Cobbo won't need to pass anyway. His sweet little kicks are guaranteed trust these days. Jog along and find some other hysteria.
His kicks are superb. I'm merely asking if anyone else has noticed his wobbly passes. I've noticed a few, and they weren't especially "dummy half" style passes. He was just sending the ball back the other way. I just don't know if they're exceptions. And I'm not trying to draw any conclusions. I'm just putting it on notice, since we're discussing whether Cobbo, Mariner or even Arthars are to be Herbie's natural successor.

Not the 1st winger to throw a poor pass to the half .
Won`t be the last .

Two ways to go with dummy half passing . Stay low spread your feet and pass off the ground or pick it up run a few paces and pass . Selwyn did neither .

Pretty sure Captn Coach Rendigity will point that out in the video review theatre .
See that Sel ? Not like that bro . On my chest or just in front . Thanks Cuz .
I've asked the question. Just keep it in your mind next time. That's all.

I hate to agree with McHunt but I don't see any reason to move him off the wing yet. He sometimes flat out just doesn't show up and you can hide that on the wing.

Oof...poor Hodgo probably thought it wrote off his Origin career too 🤣

In any case, this is the Deine thread. Can we take the Cobbo talk back to the Cobbo thread please (so some of us can avoid it)?

He may have made just the four appearances in the 2023 season but emerging outside back Deine Mariner has ensured he’s made a mark every time he gets the chance to pull on a Broncos jersey.

With speed to burn and a wicked step, the 20-year-old has crossed for five tries in four games for a 100 per cent win rate in 2023 while averaging 134 running metres, and racking up 16 tackle breaks, three line-breaks and 2 try assists.

Speaking after a two-try effort in last Friday night’s big win over the Eels, Mariner said of his season so far: “Every game I get I make the most of my opportunities and definitely put 100 per cent out there every game.

Mariner's acceleration on show against the Eels. (Image via: Chloe Davis - NRL Imagery)
Mariner's acceleration on show against the Eels. (Image via: Chloe Davis - NRL Imagery)
“I try to be patient and always trust that the coaches will make the best decisions for the team and that’s what they’ve done.

Mariner's first try of the evening. (Image via: Chloe Davis - NRL Imagery)
Mariner's first try of the evening. (Image via: Chloe Davis - NRL Imagery)
I’m always going to try and squeeze the most out of every play every time that I touch the ball. I am always looking where I can collect a few extra metres or reach for the try line.
Deine Mariner
“(Coach) Kevvie (Walters) has got his plans for me, and I’ll just keep doing what needs to be done and keep improving on myself and my game.”

Friday’s win over the Eels marked Payne Haas’ 100th game and Mariner credits the camaraderie of his teammates and the support of the Bronxnation for their successes as a team and individually.

Mariner goes over the line for the second time. (Image via: Scott Davis - NRL Imagery)
Mariner goes over the line for the second time. (Image via: Scott Davis - NRL Imagery)
Mariner spoke: “It was a good turnout tonight, especially for Paynes 100th. The boys just wanted to get around and put a good performance on for him and for everyone here.

“This group has gotten really tight this year – a lot of the boys have hit some milestones this year and all of us have come together to put our best foot forward for everyone.”

The Broncos look to continue with winning ways as they refresh over this week’s bye before two challenging games against the Raiders and the Storm to finish off the regular season.

He has said this repeatedly in the games he has played that he trusts the coaches, such a great attitude. Should we take the fact this is up on the Broncos site to mean anything about him retaining his spot in the team?

He has said this repeatedly in the games he has played that he trusts the coaches, such a great attitude. Should we take the fact this is up on the Broncos site to mean anything about him retaining his spot in the team?

He will unlikely keep his spot in the team. for the 2023 season at least, he is the 3rd string winger.

although, it will be an interesting fight in the pre-season to see who takes the backline position vacated by Herbie.

IMO, if it means anything, I'd say that if he's not in the NRL team and is playing Q-Cup, he'd have no problem with it as he trusts that they are developing him as best they can, and doing what is best for the team.

IMO, if it means anything, I'd say that if he's not in the NRL team and is playing Q-Cup, he'd have no problem with it as he trusts that they are developing him as best they can, and doing what is best for the team.

Another benefit of being successful in first grade. The guys in the lower grades are more likely to trust that the guys up top have their best interests at heart and are more willing to bide their time.

Another benefit of being successful in first grade. The guys in the lower grades are more likely to trust that the guys up top have their best interests at heart and are more willing to bide their time.
Exactly. Unlike siebold who for some reason boasted that he gave debuts for 11 broncos in one season. Mariner would have been cannon fodder to a bloke like siebold who just did anything and everything to get the media off his back

Exactly. Unlike siebold who for some reason boasted that he gave debuts for 11 broncos in one season. Mariner would have been cannon fodder to a bloke like siebold who just did anything and everything to get the media off his back
Not to mention both Haas and Fifita had been blooded the year prior and were still only teenagers. The last thing the Broncos needed was to inject more youth into the team. It was something they really had to be selective about and they just lost the plot when they replaced the likes of Gillett, Nikorima, Su'A, Roberts etc. with Paix, Dearden, Coates, Vudogo etc.

Ideally they would have focused on Haas & Fifita while giving Carrigan and Flegler some reps off the bench. Some tough calls would have had to be made over Lodge, Ofahengaue & Pangai and the Broncos would have needed a couple of older bodies just to get the balance right.

He's standing when he passes. Let's move beyond this. Please. Let's not get fixated on it. I'm merely asking whether any has noticed Selwyn's passing game might be better suited to the wing than centre?

Also: not I'm not accusing Selwyn of not being able to pass. I'm ASKING.
As everyone else has pointed out I also feel what you implying is a bit silly but his passing game does need worked that is true. I would use the examples of when he played fullback and threw some shockers as they are more relevant than when he has to throw long passes from dummy half.

I think he has it in him to develop and acceptable passing game for a centre. Plus, as we’ve seen with Herbert you can get away at left centre without even needing to pass.

Not to mention both Haas and Fifita had been blooded the year prior and were still only teenagers. The last thing the Broncos needed was to inject more youth into the team. It was something they really had to be selective about and they just lost the plot when they replaced the likes of Gillett, Nikorima, Su'A, Roberts etc. with Paix, Dearden, Coates, Vudogo etc.

Ideally they would have focused on Haas & Fifita while giving Carrigan and Flegler some reps off the bench. Some tough calls would have had to be made over Lodge, Ofahengaue & Pangai and the Broncos would have needed a couple of older bodies just to get the balance right.
We the heck is Vudogo

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Midean
  • Manifesto
  • Mister Wright
  • FACTHUNT
  • jd87
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.