PLAYER Deine Mariner

Penrith just didnt blood all those players though at 19 or 20. They were allowed to develop in a good system and allowed to grow into what they are now. You dont get many sides like Penrith and tbf they have a fair amount of experienced players combined with their younger guys.
Yeah that’s exactly the position we are now in

I mean, if you've got Staggs, Oates, Walsh, Cobbo in your back five - all have played 40+ games, do you really need another experienced player?

I mean, if you've got Staggs, Oates, Walsh, Cobbo in your back five - all have played 40+ games, do you really need another experienced player?

They dont have much experience though in winning the pressure games when it matters. You could only argue out of that lot only Reece in Origin has stood up in a masssive game. We get to see in 2023 if the others can take that next step.

Yeah Haas and Staggs will likely be 100+ game players by the end of the year, Patty will likely reach that milestone next season, Reynolds, Taupau, Capewell. Billy is 30. Oatesy’s next game is his 200th.

We just aren’t the same team we were when we handed every kid a debut and had no experienced players.

Mariner has also had 21 Cup games which is more than the last batch we’re playing before becoming first graders.

I don’t feel strongly either way re Arthars / Mariner but I don’t think inexperience is the issue, it’s who ever is going to sk the better job.

The debate is moot though as it is likely whoever misses out will still get around 18 games of injury and origin covers as this season we have only had our 4 starting outside back (2,3,4,5) on 4 occasions.

They dont have much experience though in winning the pressure games when it matters. You could only argue out of that lot only Reece in Origin has stood up in a masssive game. We get to see in 2023 if the others can take that next step.
You’ve done Oates dirty with this comment

Yeah that’s exactly the position we are now in

Now, we left it too long last time though. Brought all these young guys through with Glenn, Boyd, etc. Left it two years too late and their form plummeted of a cliff with age and so did we. Messed up some kids heads too as a result.

Got Reyno, Capes, Tapau now, hopefully we don't get in that position again...... Donuts and coaching staff better have succession plans in place. Patty will be the core of it at least.

Relying on 18-20 years Olds is a shit habit for the club to get in to. Glad development is looking a lot better now too.

Now, we left it too long last time though. Brought all these young guys through with Glenn, Boyd, etc. Left it two years too late and their form plummeted of a cliff with age and so did we. Messed up some kids heads too as a result.

Got Reyno, Capes, Tapau now, hopefully we don't get in that position again...... Donuts and coaching staff better have succession plans in place. Patty will be the core of it at least.

Relying on 18-20 years Olds is a shit habit for the club to get in to. Glad development is looking a lot better now too.
I’ve got full faith in Patty to take on that leadership role in 2 years when Reynolds, Taupau, and Capewell are gone. He will be 28 years old and a 150 gamer by then.

Yeah Haas and Staggs will likely be 100+ game players by the end of the year, Patty will likely reach that milestone next season, Reynolds, Taupau, Capewell. Billy is 30. Oatesy’s next game is his 200th.

We just aren’t the same team we were when we handed every kid a debut and had no experienced players.

Mariner has also had 21 Cup games which is more than the last batch we’re playing before becoming first graders.

I don’t feel strongly either way re Arthars / Mariner but I don’t think inexperience is the issue, it’s who ever is going to sk the better job.

The debate is moot though as it is likely whoever misses out will still get around 18 games of injury and origin covers as this season we have only had our 4 starting outside back (2,3,4,5) on 4 occasions.
Yeah I think you're right when talking about the next man up getting plenty of games.

How many years does big Oatesy have in first grade... he's picking up some injuries now... but Arthars has had plenty of games this year being the next man in for every backline position.

If either centre or winger misses out then the next man up comes in and that would be Mariner next year.

Mariner could have near 50+ games across Qcup and NRL by the time he gets a permanent gig in the backline... and I'd see that as a big positive when it comes to blooding a guy into the team.

5 tries from 6 games. Walters has some serious selecting to do when Oates and Arthars return:

And then again when Herbie leaves. I'm not sure Selwyn has next dibs on centre.

5 tries from 6 games. Walters has some serious selecting to do when Oates and Arthars return:

And then again when Herbie leaves. I'm not sure Selwyn has next dibs on centre.
Oates Herbie Staggs and Cobbo are our best back 4 currently but next year will be the tough decisions for sure. Glad to see Mariner looking so comfortable.

I would personally consider

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Mariner

But you could make about 3 different suggestions that I would find it hard to disagree with

Oates Herbie Staggs and Cobbo are our best back 4 currently but next year will be the tough decisions for sure. Glad to see Mariner looking so comfortable.

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Mariner

But you could make about 3 different suggestions that I would find it hard to disagree with
I'm not reading too much into this but have you noticed Selwyn's wayward passing from dummy half?

I mean he has already scored some pretty impressive tries, racked up metres and defended really well all out of position on wing, what hasn't been impressive?

He is not bad at bringing the ball back either .
I`ve been surprised with his strength and leg drive coming off out the red zone . A lot stronger than he looks .

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo
4. Staggs
5. Mariner

Don't mind that at all.....

I'm not reading too much into this but have you noticed Selwyn's wayward passing from dummy half?

Yep , Captn Coach Reynolds will be having a quiet word at training .
High and wide is not where I want it Cobbs ...

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Griffo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.