Depressed Seymour may have tried to take his own life: wife

Yes, but his opinion is basically the equivalent of saying if you have cancer and you get upset about it you're a pussy. It's offensive. He's dismissing the fact that depression is an illness, and a hard one to deal with.
That is why it's controversial.
No one hates his opinion more than me, because I have been there and I have had the moments where driving into a large tree at 100 Kph seemed like a solution. But it is an opinion, albeit a morally reprehensible one!

But it's also causing disruption to the forum, which is why fredie's been banned from this thread.

I've banned him from the thread. Let's move on.

Suicide is cowardly IMO. But that's probably offensive too.
It's not offensive because it's true imo. However, it's also true that a depressed person doesn't look at it rationally...

Last edited:
Crashing your shiny BMW because of depression (and not the more likely scenario of just being drunk). I'll send him some flowers.

After a history of alcohol related incidents and for just being an outright dickhead .......I kinda tend to agree.

Much easier to sell this as a case of "depression" rather than, oh dear Brett fucked up for the millionth time.

But it's also causing disruption to the forum, which is why fredie's been banned from this thread.

It's only disruptive because a lot of others don't agree with it and therefore resort to the age old prerequisite of typing out personal insults.

I think it's unfair to ban someone from a thread simply because they have a different opinion to others....whether said opinion is offensive or not, should hardly matter.

It's not like he is being abusive to other members ....unfortunately, the same can't be said for the members being "offended" by his opinion.

Single out the minority ......how quaint.

The opinion wasn't exactly communicated in a fair manner. It'd be one thing to say he thinks depression is used as an excuse for stupid behaviour - because quite a few people agree with that (me for one). but he went too far with his personal attacks on Seymour and others generally.

Then there's the fact his opinion is wrong. Simply because one of the effects of depression is irrational decision making, meaning some people do destructive things to themself or others, and they have no control over that. So claiming Seymour had some kind of rational decision process in this is simply wrong IF Seymour indeed is suffering severe depression.

It's fine to have an opinion, but when there's facts that dispute it, you can't have that opinion. eg, I can't say that 2+2 is 5, no matter how strongly I feel about that opinion.

But let's move on.

Controversial opinions should not be met with abuse guys.

Technically I was making a statement based on facts and evidence - left brain injuries cause speech/language problems. He has a language problem, therefore it is a reasonable statement to say that he may have had a left brain injury.

ps. Tongue firmly in cheek.

Unread

Active Now

• Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Strop
  • tajhay
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • MrMoore
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.