VOTE Do you believe NRL games/seasons are systematically influenced to favour certain results?

Do you believe NRL games/seasons are systematically influenced to favour certain results?

• Yes - I believe the NRL or outside force influences results to benifit their interests

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No - any match fixing is done by rogue individuals (e.g an unethical player, ref or team management)

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
do you believe the NRL influences results (via means such as refereeing instructions, season draws, suspension discrepancy, video ref decisions, overlooking or choosing to act on clubs breaking rules/breaching cap etc) to achieve storylines or circumstances that best benefit the NRL as a business?

If so, please share your hypothetical rugby league conspiracy theories.

I think the rules are enforced in a way to make sure games are tight, and the only time that changes is when the fans / media get the shits with something, and hound them about it. The NRL has never been proactive.

So are we saying JT was wrong about his conspiracy theory?

The big one for me was the year Souths won the comp. the media set up perfectly
for that since day one. I don’t actually think it was planned but I definitely think they were hopeful it would happen.

I don't think they favour certain teams so to speak, but I think they certainly apply the rules to favour what ever team is losing, so all games end up as "close" as possible.

So are we saying JT was wrong about his conspiracy theory?

The big one for me was the year Souths won the comp. the media set up perfectly
for that since day one. I don’t actually think it was planned but I definitely think they were hopeful it would happen.

That was totally planned. They had the celebrations before the GF was actually played!
Brought out their precious bell and rang it.
You wouldn’t have even known there was another team playing.

Why assume a conspiracy when incompetence will do?

Agree there is a culture likely without specific instructions to favour tight games.

Having said that far too many ‘fairytale’ teams are winning comps. Maybe they hype the fairytale for whoever is winning but getting to be more than a coincidence...

They definitely manipulate the season to be close. They think that somehow means their Comp is successful. When a successful comp is one where the best team wins and the worst team runs last.
It is infuriating.

The NFL and NBA are very good at allowing this to happen. The fans of the lower teams might not love it, but at least you know that the best teams are in the playoffs.

Why assume a conspiracy when incompetence will do?

Nail on the head.
The level of incompetence is that high....and that obvious, that it's only natural to think that the game is rigged.

No professional organisation can possibly be that inept....they must be doing it on purpose.....right?

Wrong.

Let me introduce you to the NRL.

What you think can't be real, is ....and it's occurring so frequently, that our conscious minds can't possibly comprehend that it's actually happening right in front of our eyes.

We're through the looking glass here people.

I think the people in the NRL are just afraid of making big calls. From Greenberg down to the refs. From big decisions down to the "little" ref ones. We are probably not going to get anything like the Melbourne Storm scandal again for a long time. Just feels like the whole culture is of fear - even the media can smell blood in the water and go bully everyone like no tomorrow.

I think the people in the NRL are just afraid of making big calls. From Greenberg down to the refs. From big decisions down to the "little" ref ones. We are probably not going to get anything like the Melbourne Storm scandal again for a long time. Just feels like the whole culture is of fear - even the media can smell blood in the water and go bully everyone like no tomorrow.

Absolutely nailed it.

No. This is just an excuse used by fans that have a ref bashing mentality and can't accept when their team loses.

Nail on the head.
The level of incompetence is that high....and that obvious, that it's only natural to think that the game is rigged.

No professional organisation can possibly be that inept....they must be doing it on purpose.....right?

Wrong.

Let me introduce you to the NRL.

What you think can't be real, is ....and it's occurring so frequently, that our conscious minds can't possibly comprehend that it's actually happening right in front of our eyes.

We're through the looking glass here people.
It's the Matrix

No. This is just an excuse used by fans that have a ref bashing mentality and can't accept when their team loses.

What about when a game is tight and suddenly penalties that haven't been blown all game start getting blown for the team behind? I'm not of the opinion that the game is "rigged" but their certainly seems to be a trend towards certain things.

I think you need to give watching all 7 games a go over the next weekend to see how bad they have got, then explain to me, why the rules change through the game.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Mister Wright
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.