VOTE Do you believe NRL games/seasons are systematically influenced to favour certain results?

Do you believe NRL games/seasons are systematically influenced to favour certain results?

• Yes - I believe the NRL or outside force influences results to benifit their interests

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No - any match fixing is done by rogue individuals (e.g an unethical player, ref or team management)

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
I even reckon the maroons got a leg up in origin 2 with some of the 50/50 calls

I do think there is a conspiracy of sorts, seems more likes favoured

I do think there is a conspiracy of sorts, seems more likes favoured
Sorry hit post too soon, was going to say it seems there seems to be a fairytale story if a certain team wins the premiership, it would appear to be media driven and for some reason events though the season seems to help it happen. Rabbits and sharks in recent years.

Well the salary cap alone is proof that the comp is manipulated to be close.

I think you need to give watching all 7 games a go over the next weekend to see how bad they have got, then explain to me, why the rules change through the game.

There are subliminal rules....within the rules.

Nah. I think buying into this sort of perspective sends you down the rabbit hole and simply renders you jaded.

Some players are better at pushing the boundaries than others but I don't think it's a concerted effort from above.

So are we saying JT was wrong about his conspiracy theory?

The big one for me was the year Souths won the comp. the media set up perfectly
for that since day one. I don’t actually think it was planned but I definitely think they were hopeful it would happen.
Souths were the best side by miles from August onwards in 2014.

Souths were the best side by miles from August onwards in 2014.

Yeah, this wasn't some conspiracy by the NRL to get the fairytale ending.

They were just by far the best team at the business end of the season.

The fairytale run of South Sydney, JT, and then the Sharks was certainly a suspicious coincidence. But no, I don’t believe in some over arching conspiracy to rig the comp. There’s just a lot of useless administrators, and a media machine that still have way too much influence on the game.

Every premiership has been intriguingly convenient since 2012.

2012: Storm can win it without cheating the cap (spits coffee out).
2013: $BW wankfest.
2014: Souffs win one after half a century of shittery.
2015: JT wankfest.
2016: Greenberg repays Buzz's favourable media with an inaugural premiership to the Sherks.
2017: Smith/Cronk/Slater wankfest.
2018: Profit.

I answered yes but don't necessarily think the matches are fixed to have a certain winner. I think in some cases they are manufactured to have a close result. Our games vs Cows over the last few years are a perfect example of this.

Every premiership has been intriguingly convenient since 2012.

2012: Storm can win it without cheating the cap (spits coffee out).
2013: $BW wankfest.
2014: Souffs win one after half a century of shittery.
2015: JT wankfest.
2016: Greenberg repays Buzz's favourable media with an inaugural premiership to the Sherks.
2017: Smith/Cronk/Slater wankfest.
2018: Profit.

Only argument against that, is if any team won you could probably find a story line to suit.
Warriors - NZ team wins finally
Parra - They're finally not useless
Broncos - Master coach strikes again
Canberra - ......... Scratch that one

Only argument against that, is if any team won you could probably find a story line to suit.
Warriors - NZ team wins finally
Parra - They're finally not useless
Broncos - Master coach strikes again
Canberra - ......... Scratch that one

Broncos celebrated if win? Will be more like relief from criticism haven’t won more with all our unfair advantages.

I think since 2014 been very on the nose. NRL and media seems more interested in selling a bulls*** story than the actual thing of value in the long term which is a quality and fair game. It’s good for sport to be theatre but we need to avoid ongoing moves which make it look more like WWE.

It's hard not to look at the artificially squared up penalty counts in almost every game and not wonder what else the NRL are manipulating or are attempting to manipulate behind the scenes, if not to outright favor a certain side but to do their absolute best to avoid any controversy whatsoever.

I don't think the entire competition is fixed for a 'closer ladder' or whatever, but I do believe there are certain narratives that the media loves to get behind and these result in junk articles and shitty journalism that builds hype around certain teams (makes sense cause it sells).

As for individual games, I think it's highly likely the refs are being influenced into keeping certain games closer than they really should be. I have noticed a lot this season that games scheduled for peak TV audiences are influenced by decisions that don't make sense and the commentators love the old saying that "this one is going to be a grandstand finish"...

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much (except when it is the Broncos) because it makes it far easier to pick the margin/line in certain games and I'll take a few wins on the punt over a 50-nil drubbing.

Active Now

• Jeza23
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.