OPINION Do you think the decision from the board to Sack Kevvie was right?

Do you think the decision to sack Kevvie was right?

• Total voters
It shouldn't be a binary choice. There are several well credentialed experienced coaches out there:
- Maguire
- Arthur
- Wane
- Lam
- Peters
- Holbrook

Many fans will say but oh lots of these guys aren't experienced at NRL, only ESL. Well where do you think Robinson came from essentially?

In my opinion, any of Arthur, Lam, Peters or Wane would be better than Maguire. Maguire's record aside from his premiership year does not make for good reading.

What I don't understand is why were Seibold's and Walter's negative coaching records red flags but now apparently Maguire's is not. Arthur's record is significantly better than Maguire's but apparently he is not even considered.

My pick - Adrian Lam - has a 60% win record in the super league and has taken his current team from second division to a Challenge Cup title and ESL finals.

If Maguire is picked though, I'll get behind him because I want my club to be a powerhouse again, I just won't be holding my breath this won't end as a train wreck.
It’s really hard to judge. Cleary had a 46% career win rating before his second stint at Penrith. He’s had a 75% win rating during this run.

Despite his win %, it was pretty obvious that Cleary was a good coach. Though, no one probably expected him to be this good.

All your points are valid and might be proven to be completely right. I personally think Wane is the closest realistic alternative. Lam is not a bad shout either.

All I know is that everyone within the game speak really highly about Madge’s coaching. That must account for something.

Arthurs is too close to Kev in my mind. He will get us consistent 6-10th finishes but never truly compete for the trophy.

It’s really hard to judge. Cleary had a 46% career win rating before his second stint at Penrith. He’s had a 75% win rating during this run.

Despite his win %, it was pretty obvious that Cleary was a good coach. Though, no one probably expected him to be this good.

All your points are valid and might be proven to be completely right. I personally think Wane is the closest realistic alternative. Lam is not a bad shout either.

All I know is that everyone within the game speak really highly about Madge’s coaching. That must account for something.

Arthurs is too close to Kev in my mind. He will get us consistent 6-10th finishes but never truly compete for the trophy.

The advantage Cleary has had though is he has gone in to an already set up great system and as much as I hate to say it, credit to Gould for that.

Maguire is coming in to an organisation that is a complete mess, is he going to be able to bring the joint together? I have serious doubts as I've said but hey, when he's announced I'll get behind him as I would whoever is made coach, this is after all my team.

The advantage Cleary has had though is he has gone in to an already set up great system and as much as I hate to say it, credit to Gould for that.

Maguire is coming in to an organisation that is a complete mess, is he going to be able to bring the joint together? I have serious doubts as I've said but hey, when he's announced I'll get behind him as I would whoever is made coach, this is after all my team.
Again, I do need to stress I know the club has issues beyond just Kev but we saw in 2021 - 2022 what can be achieved when the club works together.

DD put together a team of staff that, if willing to work together, could’ve been great.

Our team was so fit no one could stick with us beyond 60 minutes.

Our recruitment was nailing it with every single decision.

I understand this is where I may diverge from others, so it is just my view, but I do think Kev has issues with taking advice or giving up some control over other parts of the organisation. I think Kev was given a great support network to build a good structure but he didn’t want it.

Maguire has a brain, that can’t be denied. I am optimistic that DD won’t stop at the coach.

I think we will see some other really big moves if the new coach allows it.

Again, I do need to stress I know the club has issues beyond just Kev but we saw in 2021 - 2022 what can be achieved when the club works together.

DD put together a team of staff that, if willing to work together, could’ve been great.

Our team was so fit no one could stick with us beyond 60 minutes.

Our recruitment was nailing it with every single decision.

I understand this is where I may diverge from others, so it is just my view, but I do think Kev has issues with taking advice or giving up some control over other parts of the organisation. I think Kev was given a great support network to build a good structure but he didn’t want it.

Maguire has a brain, that can’t be denied. I am optimistic that DD won’t stop at the coach.

I think we will see some other really big moves if the new coach allows it.

I hope you are right, I liked the comment someone made somewhere earlier, I think it was @BroncsFan (who always posts pure gold) who mentioned this might finally have given DD the ammo he wanted to put his stamp on things that last year's GF might have postponed.

I am hoping one of the big things to come out of the review is that we need a GM and also a strong recommendation / shortlist of who that should be.

if maguire adds a bit of targeted violence to our defence im all for it outside staggs and the odd patty hit i cant recall a tackle last year where the attacker has got up ginger make the pricks regret having the ball ffs

if maguire adds a bit of targeted violence to our defence im all for it outside staggs and the odd patty hit i cant recall a tackle last year where the attacker has got up ginger make the pricks regret having the ball ffs

Kobe did a few early season and then fell off a cliff.

Everyone in the game basically being everyone in Sydney media... they also rave about Nathan Brown, but in the words of Cobbo "he's a good bloke, but not a good coach".

This is where the club needs to have good football IQ... they need to be able to evaluate talent and find the best people for the club... it also helps if you have a strong structure in the club that know where it's going.

We talk about structure on the field and one of the keys to that is everybody knowing and having a role... next man up... this is also required in the back office.

Kevvie and Ikin clashed because roles and responsibilities weren't made clear... Kevvie was criticised for lack of communication and planning, to me that sounds like people not knowing what their roles were... old mate cutting up footage only for it to not be used, then why was he doing it in the first place (note I know why he was doing it... it's about why was coach telling him to do it and then no one using it anyway... wasting time and resources).

The club needs strong leadership and a vision on what it wants to be to know what people are needed to get it there.

Chopping and changing coaches leads to chopping and changing of that vision... especially if you keep leaving all the decisions on the football dept to the coach and then jump onto the coaching merry-go-round every 3 years or so.

Everyone in the game basically being everyone in Sydney media... they also rave about Nathan Brown, but in the words of Cobbo "he's a good bloke, but not a good coach".

This is where the club needs to have good football IQ... they need to be able to evaluate talent and find the best people for the club... it also helps if you have a strong structure in the club that know where it's going.

We talk about structure on the field and one of the keys to that is everybody knowing and having a role... next man up... this is also required in the back office.

Kevvie and Ikin clashed because roles and responsibilities weren't made clear... Kevvie was criticised for lack of communication and planning, to me that sounds like people not knowing what their roles were... old mate cutting up footage only for it to not be used, then why was he doing it in the first place (note I know why he was doing it... it's about why was coach telling him to do it and then no one using it anyway... wasting time and resources).

The club needs strong leadership and a vision on what it wants to be to know what people are needed to get it there.

Chopping and changing coaches leads to chopping and changing of that vision... especially if you keep leaving all the decisions on the football dept to the coach and then jump onto the coaching merry-go-round every 3 years or so.
As I said, I don’t think the club is overly at fault in regard to Ikin and Kev. Kev didn’t want Ikin getting in his way.

Probably because Ikin was intelligent and Kev wanted to sign the Bakers of the world.

The only thing I think Dave has gotten wrong, is that when Kev said it’s Ikin or me, Dave should’ve said “obviously Ikin…it’s not even close”

That not using video footage one is telling though if it is true. Any coach with half an idea would realise how important that is to improve players.

Don't forget this one!!

As I said, I don’t think the club is overly at fault in regard to Ikin and Kev. Kev didn’t want Ikin getting in his way.

Probably because Ikin was intelligent and Kev wanted to sign the Bakers of the world.

The only thing I think Dave has gotten wrong, is that when Kev said it’s Ikin or me, Dave should’ve said “obviously Ikin…it’s not even close”
Yeah and I think DD conceding on that one is potentially where he decided to start giving him rope.

If the coach is the leader of your football department, but he's also someone that you as the CEO can't work with, then it's not a great foundation to be building a successful football department from.

DD has seen what a good football department looks like and knows that it takes a team rather than a dictatorship.

Need more of it lol if cleary has a fucked shoulder test that mofo every run or tackle target them make then regret playing rugby league
Was also reminiscent of 2023 where our defence focussed on folding c.nts in half rather than 2024 where it was that catch and wrap bullshit

Yeah and I think DD conceding on that one is potentially where he decided to start giving him rope.

If the coach is the leader of your football department, but he's also someone that you as the CEO can't work with, then it's not a great foundation to be building a successful football department from.

DD has seen what a good football department looks like and knows that it takes a team rather than a dictatorship.
That’s my working theory too. I think a head coach announcement is only step 1. I suspect a Head of Football operations or something similar will be in the works too.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • johnny plath
  • Rambstien
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Lozza
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.