Eels - 2016 Issues

Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

I did too. Not sure where...

7OGljtZ.gif

:)

ha true! guess I should read the article properly next time.

The Bulldogs are interested in Foran? How can they afford to sell spuds and replace them with internationals constantly?

Re: Eels Salary Cap Breach

Call me crazy, call me weird.............. but does anybody else find it utterly insane that the NRL would strip competition points from a club for major and on going salary cap breaches but then in the same year allow the same club to sign one of the more expensive players in the NRL?
I actually thought as part of his release to pursue the "dream" that the eels had first dibbs should he return to nrl.

That is really sad about Foran if true, he was one player that i really liked, no matter who he played for. Shame if he's lost

I'll believe it when I see it.

10:30 presser where Greenberg will hand down the penalty.

PARRAMATTA’S season has effectively been ended this morning, with the scandal-ridden club docked 12 competition points by the NRL and fined $1 million, as the NRL today said it needed to “take a stand” against the club’s systematic cheating of the salary cap.

The decision instantly relegates the Eels to languish near the foot of the NRL competition.

In addition, the NRL has cancelled the registration of five officials at the club: Chairman Steve Sharp, Deputy Chairman Tom Issa, Director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and football boss Daniel Anderson.

The NRL has also toughened its response to the Eels compared with the original provisional sanctions proposed in May, with the club’s currently favourable for and against points differential now revoked. The NRL has also dropped its offer to suspend $250,000 of the $1m fine proposed in the provisional sanctions.

The move follows revelations in the Daily Telegraph today of alleged new discussions in board meetings about rorting the salary cap that occurred as recently as February.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has talked tough on the responses of the so-called Gang of Five to the provisional sanctions, saying that there had been a failure to “take responsibility” for the club’s industrial-scale salary cap rorts first unveiled by The Telegraph in March.

“While each made points worthy of consideration, there was insufficient information in those responses to warrant any change to the penalties originally proposed in the breach notices,” Mr Greenberg said.

“The overall impression that I got from the responses is that no one at the club has taken responsibility for the deliberate, systemic and blatant breaches of the salary cap. We have to take a stand to demonstrate that the NRL will not tolerate contraventions of the salary cap which plays such a crucial role in giving us one of the closest competitions in Australian sport.”

In full, the NRL has imposed the following penalties:

* The Eels will be docked 12 competition points from today. In addition, all differential points (for and against) accumulated by the Eels in the first nine rounds will be revoked.

* The club will be fined the maximum penalty of $1 million.

* The “Gang of Five” have had their registrations cancelled.

* The Eels will be stripped of its Auckland Nines title won earlier this year. There will be no official winner for 2016.

The tough final decision follows rancorous dealings between the Eels and the NRL since the initial breach notice. Club officials have drawn on $400,000-plus in Leagues Club members’ funds in a failed NSW Supreme Court challenge to the NRL’s right to suspend its officials.

Mr Greenberg did say he sympathised with Eels fans, coach Brad Arthur and the players _ who beat the Roosters on the field last night, and have performed impressively in difficult circumstances this year.

But he added that the code had to take “a strong stand to preserve the integrity of the salary cap and the competition”.

“We would hope that, in the long term, this will help make the club stronger and ensure there is norepeat of the salary cap breaches which have plagued the club over the last six years.”

Mr Greenberg said the Parramatta club now has one of the biggest decisions since it was founded in 1947.

“It can appeal the decision, which is its right, or it can accept this decision and turn Parramatta into the powerhouse club it should be. It is my view that it is time for the club to move on and do the right thing by Brad Arthur, the players and the fans.”

Mr Greenberg said the review had taken longer than originally anticipated because it affected the livelihoods and reputations of people in the game.

In particular, the NRL did not take lightly its decision to de-register a club legend like Steve Sharp, who had been a long time member of the Parramatta family.

Mr Greenberg said that, with this phase of the investigation completed, the NRL will now focus on improving the governance and operations of the Parramatta club. He said the NRL was ready to provide any resources and expertise needed by the club. “We have not intervened in the running of the club during this investigation because our priority was to give everyone involved a fair hearing,” Mr Greenberg said.

“But it is imperative that we help rebuild the club so it has a strong Board and strong management into the future.

“We note that there are currently several proposals for extraordinary general meetings at the club and we would urge members to support a Board and management group which is focussed on making the Eels a strong, successful team.

“The time for in-fighting and factionalism is over. The members have a chance to clear the decks and rebuild the club and we will be encouraging them to do so.”.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
Full credit to Authur, being able to hold this football team together during an unrelenting shitstorm of administrative and off field dramas.

They can still make the 8 as well. Admittedly it'll be hard, but with 8 games to go, winning all of them will put them on 28 points with a decent F/A.

Last edited:
So are the federal police going to step in?

Parra were committing fraud and tax evasion.

Last edited:
Has that been said?

It was alleged one or more players had the club deposit funds directly into his overseas bank account. If not declared that could be seen as tax evasion.
The method they allegedly used to funnel cash to players through inflated and/or false invoices from suppliers could also be construed as fraud.
There may be more and probably is but there are a couple of quick examples for you.

And to think Daniel Anderson was the NRL Referees Elite Performance Manager.

He left the job in 2013, then re-joined the Eels, which is when the rorting started. No I am not saying he started it.

Must be a kick in the guts to the NRL.

Last edited:
It was alleged one or more players had the club deposit funds directly into his overseas bank account. If not declared that could be seen as tax evasion.
The method they allegedly used to funnel cash to players through inflated and/or false invoices from suppliers could also be construed as fraud.
There may be more and probably is but there are a couple of quick examples for you.

Yep, that should be enough to warrant an investigation.

The board members are apparently considering appealing their deregistration..

They are stubborn as **** if they decide to go through with it.

They can't win. It's an unwinnable case. They should just accept their punishment and move on..

I think one of them already has. Issa resigned before the final determination.

But it appears the others do not want to go away.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • MrMoore
  • Lostboy
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.