Eligibility Changes

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Rugby league bosses have tightened international qualification regulations in the face of mounting criticism over players switching countries too often.

As New Zealand prepare to take on England on Saturday for a spot in the Four Nations final, developments in Paris at a meeting of the Rugby League International Federation executive could mean the Kiwis will not be able to call up many players from the Pacific nations in future.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaki ... -hwm7.html

Could be good or bad - depends how the players treat it. I hope they will still choose to turn out for their "native" countries and play right through world cups for those countries - that would only make the pacific nations stronger in the long term. But I have a feeling most of them will elect never to play for their "native" country.

But I thought the whole point of it was to keep the Kiwi's competitive and all that.

I've always said you should be able to play for the country of your passport (NOT birth) - because technically that is what nationality you are... but I guess with duel-citizenships and what not this can all hit the fan as well.

Not sure about how the islanders/NZ work but for AUS if you have an AUS passport you should be able to play for AUS - no arguments. (Unless you want to choose to play for your 'native' country)

That wouldn't work. It's not hard to get an Aussie passport. It should be where you were born. Pure and simple. That's it. DOesn't matter about anything. It needs to be fair, and right now, Australia aren't fair.

Nashy said:
That wouldn't work. It's not hard to get an Aussie passport. It should be where you were born. Pure and simple. That's it. DOesn't matter about anything. It needs to be fair, and right now, Australia aren't fair.
x2. The Australians have more non Australians in the team then Australians for god sake. Well close enough anyway.

So many good Kiwi/other country players play for Australia to play SOO and just to play for the best team. If it was truly by where you were born I don't believe Australia would be as strong as they are atm and the International scene would be a lot more competitive.

Nah - How about kids who came here when they were 3 and have lived here their whole life? Doesn't make sense to me.

Are there any maori players who don't have a direct link to Samoa or Tonga?

Unread

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncorob
  • blacknwhite
  • Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.