Elimination Final - Cowboys vs Broncos - Post-Match Discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I don't really care if he is a dog. He is a good backrower and he plays with mongrel. He is willing to rip in and he takes no prisoners.

Our back row now? Bloody soft.

There was a time our forward pack was feared. Now it's laughed at.

I kinda agree. People want us to be like "white knights", but you've got to remember that it's just a false feeling of superiority, they never actually get laid. If we don't stop being "nice guys", we'll never get anywhere.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Depends on your definition too. I thought there were a few games where they started poorly (eg. Knights Round 7) but weathered the storm, posted first points and did alright from then on.

Let's not forget the Roosters and Sharks matches where we blew match winning leads.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I love Parker and Hodgo, but our captains essentially handed the game to the Cows within the fist 15 or 20 mins. To their credit, they never stopped fighting (even though Corey's kicking was shocking), and Hodgo came up with brilliance only he is capable of!

WTF was Griffin thinking putting Gillett on the field as a starter?

Hindsight is easy, but FMD... Kennedy with Moose in the front row, with Parker at lock and Thaiday on the right edge, would certainly have been the way to go? We have 2 props capable of big minutes in Hannant and Moose, with Kennedy (who had a bit of a shocker with his hands) and Wallace in the prop rotation + Oates and maybe Gillett (although he showed he just wasn't up to a game) on the bench for impact.

Copley is a fucking LEFT centre. Surely it's not rocket science to put him there?

Credit to Kahu to come back from a shocking first half with a class display on the second. How about his speed when he just accelerated past Morgan like he wasn't there?

Speaking of that try, I hope JWH or SBW take Sims out with a late shot. Fucking dog!

Pink ***** do noting about it, but put Hannant on report for a nothing tackle? What about the 2 knock on calls that terminated us?

Oh well... that's it for this year. Good luck Hook where ever you go, and welcome back Wayne. I hope you'll guide us back to the limelight!

The King is dead... long live the King!

Agree with all of that Port but unfortunately I don't think SBW or JWH will get the chance. Sims will do some time for that IMO.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
worst part about the Bronco's making the 8 was that it cost the a decent team who could be a contender (Warriors) a semi final berth.

What a waste?

High on our priority should be a Goal Kicker, a second rower and a Hooker that has a clue.
Oh look who's back to pick on the Broncos carcass... you and Steve Renouf should start a club. I'll leave the name up to you, but I reckon Vultures should be pretty apt!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I just think the Broncos had to do everything they could to have controlled the Cowboys early and now that we got another up close look at Gillett, there is no way he should have been on the field as long as he was, if at all. It's a credit to him that he wanted to be there for the team but in that situation, he definitely should have come off the bench if at all.

With that in mind, I'd go with Alec's idea with Hannant coming in up-front.

I understand the attraction of moving Kennedy there but Marty is in poor form and having two decent games against the two worst packs in the competition doesn't do a whole lot for me in my eyes. It's a shame too, because I like Marty and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders but all in all, this season was a dud from him.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Why is it we can look good for most games for about 60 minutes but bog ordinary the other twenty?
I thought Corvo was the man to fix that?

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Disappointing to be eliminated by our rivals but I'm not heart broken as we proved the critics wrong this year and some really good positives have come out of this year and we can build on that in 2015. We were just never really in it despite coming back and giving them a scare after the break but the Cowboys were always in control but we put in a good effort and went down fighting.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Why is it we can look good for most games for about 60 minutes but bog ordinary the other twenty?
I thought Corvo was the man to fix that?

Well, we never fade away from exhaustion anymore. So his job is done.
Interestingly we lose games early on now, but before it was later in the game.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yeah, hated being held hostage watching that second half performance.

Shots fired!

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Great 2nd half comeback

......the pea hearts that stopped watching at half time, suck **** .....you missed seeing your side put up a valiant effort.

So fucking true I couldn't agree more. I hate it when so called fans walk out of the stadium early or turn the TV off simply because they think they are beaten. A true fan always stands to the end and never gives up on their team.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
There are some key ingredients for next year already there:

1. Milford (not bulked up)
3. Copley (spends the pre-season rooming with Vidot)
4. Hodges
5. Vidot.(slightly slimmed and bomb diffusual practice in the offseason)
6. Barba (slimmed down)
7. Hunt (Simulated pressure practice)
8. Kennedy (catching practice all season long)
9. McCullough (speed and accuracy practice for the rest of his career)
10. McGuire (encouraged to offload)
11. Oates (Any decent coach would be starting him)
12. Thaiday (he is devastating on the right edge, how hard is that to understand as a coach?)
13. Parker (Don't care if his numbers are the same at prop, having two props plus him on the field is clearly beneficial)

14. Glenn (has been good the back half of the season and is a utility)
15. Gillett (tackling practice)
16. Garbutt (Encouraged to continue his offloads)

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
What really costs us was our non-existent defensive line in the opening 20 minutes of the first half. We just stood back watching the Cowboys run riot. Not once did our defence push up, instead we just let them run at least 10 metres before making any sort of contact. You can't do that against the likes of Scott, Taumalolo, Sims or Tamou. They need to be met by the defensive line as soon as they catch the ball to limit their yardage up the middle.

I don't know if that was that part of the game plan? We looked appalling in the opening exchanges in what was an elimination final with everything to lose. We played with no enthusiasm, energy, commitment or intensity early on. We gave Thurston, Lui and Morgan a heap of time, when what we should of been doing was to pressure them.

This improved in the second half but we were still very poor, plus the damage had already been done by this stage.

Our attack had no real shape or structure. Everyone stands too flat, giving Hunt zero options. If we stand a little deeper, we have options to create overlaps, but it looked like no one knew what to do next.

If we could of at least matched the Cowboys and stayed with them during the early parts of the game, we would of had a chance, but we were basically our own worst enemies.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
20-8 in the second half. I think that's the worst part of the match, knowing that we could have won.

Coulda shoulda woulda, 2014 in a nutshell.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
On the Sims shoulder charge.

Isn't there a rule that says if a defending player wraps an arm around the player when making contact with the shoulder, it's not a shoulder charge?

Looking at it in slow mo, that's exactly what Sims did.

The rulebook is not very clear on that.

I don't think Sims will miss any games for a shoulder charge. A late shot? Perhaps. They have let players off for far worse. It really depends on the grading.

Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
@ anonymous person, who claimed we were getting the worst coach in newcastle history. That is actually incorrect now champ.

C

cjmcevoy

NYC Player
Jun 27, 2014
There are some key ingredients for next year already there:

1. Milford (not bulked up)
3. Copley (spends the pre-season rooming with Vidot)
4. Hodges
5. Vidot.(slightly slimmed and bomb diffusual practice in the offseason)
6. Barba (slimmed down)
7. Hunt (Simulated pressure practice)
8. Kennedy (catching practice all season long)
9. McCullough (speed and accuracy practice for the rest of his career)
10. McGuire (encouraged to offload)
11. Oates (Any decent coach would be starting him)
12. Thaiday (he is devastating on the right edge, how hard is that to understand as a coach?)
13. Parker (Don't care if his numbers are the same at prop, having two props plus him on the field is clearly beneficial)

14. Glenn (has been good the back half of the season and is a utility)
15. Gillett (tackling practice)
16. Garbutt (Encouraged to continue his offloads)

Liked ur side n amusing comments. Would have Hoffman in wing if possible. Was awesome in past n b good cover (for fullback not 5/8).
Still not sold on barba. Bench utility maybe. Need organising player to take control for hunt.
Glenn is far better player than many believe. Commitment is always there n with better props n halves will b influential for team in future.
Gillett seems exhausted after rep footy. Good player too but not sure what correct approach to managing him is. Hard to make tackles with one arm (why in side if not right?).
Hunt will b better with experience. Captain in 2-3 years at most.
Dye parker's hair fully grey n give him n moose some proper props. Watch the silver fix get even better. Also give him break from goal kicking. B a handy backup.
Been on n off Reed but given decent service from halves his attack ain't that bad. Get him to help Copley with reading play in defence.
Future pretty bright n yes it's been said b4 4 a number if seasons.
More structure, even semi decent use of bench n team selections, time to form combinations n some attitude in defence n we're fitting for a premiership in reality not just my dreams.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Great 2nd half comeback

......the pea hearts that stopped watching at half time, suck shit .....you missed seeing your side put up a valiant effort.
Yeah, you tell em love. Watching your side put up a valiant effort is so invigorating, it really tells you a lot. It tells you how pathetic their earlier efforts were. Oh, that's right, you'd only just seen their earlier effort......how's this for an idea...? Have your valiant effort in the first half.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.