Elimination Final - Cowboys vs Broncos - Post-Match Discussion

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
There are some key ingredients for next year already there:

1. Milford (not bulked up)
3. Copley (spends the pre-season rooming with Vidot)
4. Hodges
5. Vidot.(slightly slimmed and bomb diffusual practice in the offseason)
6. Barba (slimmed down)
7. Hunt (Simulated pressure practice)
8. Kennedy (catching practice all season long)
9. McCullough (speed and accuracy practice for the rest of his career)
10. McGuire (encouraged to offload)
11. Oates (Any decent coach would be starting him)
12. Thaiday (he is devastating on the right edge, how hard is that to understand as a coach?)
13. Parker (Don't care if his numbers are the same at prop, having two props plus him on the field is clearly beneficial)

14. Glenn (has been good the back half of the season and is a utility)
15. Gillett (tackling practice)
16. Garbutt (Encouraged to continue his offloads)

Let's be honest, the spine for next year will be: 1.Boyd, 6. Milf, 7. Hunt, 9. Macca, 14. Barba. And while I used to be against Milford in the 6, he has been playing pretty well there for the Raiders recently, I'd even go so far as to say that his defence is better in the front line than at FB.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
For mine....and only because we're locked in with Barba for at least one more year, we play Barba at 6 or not at all.

I'd be happy enough to give him the first half of the year to show us if he can provide something to the position.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Why are you just assuming tht Boyd will come, and that he'll play fullback?

Why are you also assuming that a guy in his second season will force a dally m winner to a bench utility role?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Dally M winner...pfft. Have you watched him play at all this year?

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Can't believe how well kahu played, solid in defence, great in attack. Should be considered a spot next season! And I would rather sign a big powerful forward then Boyd...or maybe even two for what Boyd would be asking for! We got rolled in the middle early tonight and that is what caused the early score-line. If we don't do anything about it, it will be the same next year....we are too light.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
That second half really made the difference for me. I was completely deflated after the first half, but perked up with the fight back and beauty stuff from Hodgo, Kahu's re-birth, etc... makes me feel confident about the years to come, with Milford added and a coaching team with a clue!

The last image of the Broncos you have until 2015 is the first half against the Cows... **** that!

I'm very much optimistic about the future - it might seem odd, but the performance against the Storm last week showed me that this team is well capable.

When you add Milford into the mix, and a coach that isn't Griffin, things look pretty good.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yep Barba has shown enough to start in the 6 next year. It is no mystery that we started playing well when Barba stepped up his urgency.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Can't believe how well kahu played, solid in defence, great in attack. Should be considered a spot next season! And I would rather sign a big powerful forward then Boyd...or maybe even two for what Boyd would be asking for! We got rolled in the middle early tonight and that is what caused the early score-line. If we don't do anything about it, it will be the same next year....we are too light.

We are too light playing the way we do but this can be an advantage if we have an imaginative coach who knows how to use our agility as a weapon instead of bulking up anything that walks through the club doors. Garbutt is not a big bopper either as he is more a lesser version of Parker. I think we'll see Molo and Ofahenguaie get chances next year.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
This is the Line up that Chris Garry thinks will be there in round 1:

1. Boyd

2. Vidot

3. Copley

4. Hodges

5. Reed

6. Milford

7. Hunt

8. McGuire

9. McCullough

10. Parker

11. Thaiday

12. Glenn

13. Gillett

Interchange

14. Barba

15. Garbutt

16. Kennedy

17. Oates

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Garbutt is not a big bopper either as he is more a lesser version of Parker. I think we'll see Molo and Ofahenguaie get chances next year.

He looks bigger than Parker.

Keen to see Molo put to use .....wraps have been around him for a while now.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Boyd, Reed on the wing, Parker starting prop, Barba on the bench... just shoot me now!

Barba slowly but surely replacing Wallace as your go to agenda [MENTION=7980]Mr Fourex[/MENTION]... :thefinger:

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Kennedy is watching the Jets play Wynnym today. Perhaps he thinks that's his best chance next year :)
Referee is doing his best to ensure Wynnym are disadantaged (like he did last week) but Gubb just crossed off the back off a great run from Granville.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
We are too light playing the way we do but this can be an advantage if we have an imaginative coach who knows how to use our agility as a weapon instead of bulking up anything that walks through the club doors. Garbutt is not a big bopper either as he is more a lesser version of Parker. I think we'll see Molo and Ofahenguaie get chances next year.
Mitch Garbutt 190cm and 113 kg that's pretty big

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Boyd, Reed on the wing, Parker starting prop, Barba on the bench... just shoot me now!

Barba slowly but surely replacing Wallace as your go to agenda @Mr Fourex ... :thefinger:

Yeah...it would appear so. :tongue:

McCullough won't be far behind either. I'm fed up with his mediocre shitfullness.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Mitch Garbutt 190cm and 113 kg that's pretty big
I have only watched him on TV but from the games I saw I will be extremely pleased to see him in Broncos gear. He is agile, light on his feet for a big guy and has a good fend and pass, even a good dummy . Combined with the fact that he is at the perfect age for forwards makes me look forward to his arrival.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
This can't be right can it?...Just heard that Maranta didn't touch the ball for the first 46 minutes...a winger..going more than the entire first half not touching the ball.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I have only watched him on TV but from the games I saw I will be extremely pleased to see him in Broncos gear. He is agile, light on his feet for a big guy and has a good fend and pass, even a good dummy . Combined with the fact that he is at the perfect age for forwards makes me look forward to his arrival.
I agree , and am hopeful. I think 25 for a prop to find his game in first grade is fine , given that is what's between the ears that makes difference at the top level.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
ningnangnong said:
In my years as a Broncos supporter, I've put watching their games ahead of many things, many more important things. People used to think I was crazy, or some obsessed weirdo. I'm more than entitled to tune out for one night of my life for the sake of my sanity.

Haha, no wuckas, your over-dramatic post was just an easy target!

I really hope Bennett doesnt run with Hodges at fullback. He can certainly set a try up, but far out his defence is just non-existence. Each time a player got through to face him, he basically just chucked an arm out and hope for the best. Hoffman's, and barbas (to a degree) defence was great. Hoffman stopped at least a handful of certain tries this year and i just cannot see hodges ever doing that. Hes all about attack. Seems to think theres no glory in defending

Yep, defence has always been his achillies heel. I put it down to being foreign to him - it's a different sort of defending to what he's used to in the centres with a whole new set of decisions to make. Plus, the high ball is a different skill to completely master and he's definitely shakey under it.

I don't have too big an issue with Griffin giving him a go after Hoffy went down. Had to basically live or die by the sword. Wouldn't have minded them have Maranta back there in defence but then again, Lachy doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence and it may have just been too messy.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.