Empty stands Humble Sydney

This happens every year. And the same thing always happens, Sydney-siders go, "Yeah, we'll go support our state"/ No-one turns up still, and the NRL wuss out and keep it in Sydney anyway.

I'm going to this and i live in Newcastle, i don't see why Sydney siders can't go.

The SCG.

The old chesnut.

I'm advocating ALL Sydney-based RL games be moved to the SFS so they have no more excuses. ANZ has a shit view and is hard to get to, SCG's view is obscured in many parts and the venue is too old, Toyota Park's a hole, Brookvale's a hole, WIN's a hole, Leichhardt is falling down... yada yada yada. Spare me.

God help me, could it be that now I'm agreeing with Frank?? [eusa_doh

$49 is still an awful lot of money to some people Kee, I'm sure it's a lot of money to some people on here who absolutely love their footy, but simply just couldn't afford to pay that much to watch a game. And chances are you wouldn't go by yourself so you would have to double everything.

Well the dates for most things are set in stone months in advance. Put away $20 out of each pay, and you'd be set.

Yeah, you could do what I did last time I went to the grand final (2006...awesome!)...make it a bit of a holiday. Take a week. See the sights. Catch up with people.

Although in 2000 I did the crazy thing of flying down on the morning of the game, going to the Grand Final, and flying home that night.

Some people simply don't have $20 to put away each week Nashy. And if they do, they would most likely put it away for something slightly more important to their family ie. the first family holiday, something they need for the house etc.

The way you did it in 2006 was definitely the way to go Coxy. When we went up to origin last year, we had a few days in Brisbane and then a week on the Gold Coast to recover from the festivities... [icon_drun

When the draw comes out watch for when the cheap sales are on then you just book em up.Choose your games.Sit in the outer cheap seats or if you are lucky enough get free tiks.
Depending if you have a credit card which makes it a lot easier than efpos online if you don't want to use up cash there and then.
Just pay them off a bit a week.Spend the weekend in Bris or Sydney in a cheap place or better still have relatives or a friend to stay the night with.

I realize a lot of people don't have the money to do this.I have a very large cc debt. :oops: Book up the place we would like to see when the sales are on and take off for the weekend.Cheapie way to see Australia.Beats driving.

It can be done - all just depends on how you want to work it and how far ahead of time you want to book it. I've actually done two or three "fly-in, fly-out" day trips to Sydney - once with my old man and once with a couple of mates. Can actually be quite fun - sure, you spend a couple of hundred bucks but it's a damn fun day out. Haven't been to an away game since 2006 and probably won't get to one this year either!

Frank the Tank said:
Nashy said:
Well the dates for most things are set in stone months in advance. Put away $20 out of each pay, and you'd be set.
oh why didnt Frank think of that!?!?! what a genius Nashy is!

Frank has better things to do with money than put away $20 a week so he can fly somewhere to watch a game of football.

Haha nar Stu, you don't. I've seen what you spend money on. :|

I think its pretty sad that people in the media are basically begging people to turn up to the game. Even on NRL on Fox last night, Freeman was basically trying to guilt trip people into going. Now they are getting randoms from the Aus side to come out and ask people to come. I don't blame the players tho - I'd be pretty annoyed playing a test in front of 10,000 people too.

Even if they do get say 20,000 to the game (which is still pathetic), most of them will be those "guilty" people and won't turn up next time. Move it to QLD forever and move on I say.

Amen midge. Time Sydney woke up to themselves, and the only way to do that is to take the big games away from them. I'd even suggest all 3 Origins should be played at Suncorp Stadium every year.

Coxy said:
Amen midge. Time Sydney woke up to themselves, and the only way to do that is to take the big games away from them. I'd even suggest all 3 Origins should be played at Suncorp Stadium every year.

I would throw a spanner in the works and move the Sydney games to NZ. Those crazy Kiwis can't get enough of Origin!

I generally don't support the accuracy of PAX numbers with regards to projecting crowds, but the numbers floating around at the moment are in the 18-19K range. Considering that there are 10K or so SCG members who aren't included in sales numbers, that leaves just under 10K tickets available to the public if the aforementioned PAX numbers are considered by anyone to be an accurate gauge. For the game's sake, I hope they are.

Coxy said:

Noble thought but is this really the answer? Cricket Australia have tried this by taking finals games away from Melbourne and it hasn't helped crowds there. I think Brad Fittler may have finally stumbled upon his first coherent thought on this one.

Meat77 said:
Coxy said:

Noble thought but is this really the answer? Cricket Australia have tried this by taking finals games away from Melbourne and it hasn't helped crowds there. I think Brad Fittler may have finally stumbled upon his first coherent thought on this one.
Exactly - the only people it would be hurting would be the die hard fans, the ones that don't go regularly wouldn't give a bugger if the big games were taken away.

With all due respect, given the fact Souths, Tigers, even Bulldogs are flat out attracting 10-15000 to a game, I think the number of diehards in Sydney would be less than 20000 people. Though no doubt there's 10 times that that sit at home watching on Foxtel claiming to be diehards.

According to the SMH this morning, as at close of business yesterday they had sold 7500 tickets to the Test match. 7500 :roll:

If Origin 1 gets less than 70000 people at ANZ Stadium, then I think it's time Sydney was awarded just 1 Origin game a year, regardless.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • Maroon4life
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • Dash
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Alec
  • dudemcdude4976
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.