FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Insane. Still don't understand people saying you can't use the injuries as an excuse but hey.

The amount of different backlines or cb pairings alone is sickening.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Coaching merry go round is interesting...

Reports saying ETH is done and United are lining up McKenna.

De Zerbi apparently having a break? Waiting for Pep to be done after next season possibly?

Flick to Barca.

Kompany to Bayern.

Lopetegui to West Ham. Should be a good signing for them.

So many clubs either needing a manager or possibly ditching one.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Insane. Still don't understand people saying you can't use the injuries as an excuse but hey.

The amount of different backlines or cb pairings alone is sickening.

Depends on the squad and the injuries i suppose. We had far less injuries for example, but pretty much our entire forward line and our most important central defender got wiped out. That really hurt us.

The bigger squads with more quality should be able to cope better with injuries, but if you get a run of injuries that wipe out certain positions over and over you are going to struggle for consistency.

United going for Mckenna is madness. I think he's promising, but the United job is too soon and too big for him. Tbh, and i've said it before, Lopetegui would be a great choice for United. I dont think he would be a good fit long term, but for a couple of seasons to help get them solid again i think he would have been a good choice. What is nice to see though is United arent looking for the big name appointment. They need that mentality with players as well.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
McKenna to United would be utterly mad. Agree with you completely.

Lopetegui to Hammers is a done deal so too late on that one anyways.

The news tonight that Chelsea and Poch mutually departing has sped up the United process, is just a shambles. Glazers and SJR are clueless if they are worrying about Chelsea and what they are doing. (I know its because they don't want Chelsea interviewing managers they want - but if pick 1 is McKenna anwyays, surely you think he'd pick you over Chelsea). We have a fucking cup final tomorrow ffs.

This club is infuriating.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
From my understanding, I’ve heard from good sources online that United haven’t actually spoken to any other manager yet. They are waiting until after the FA Cup.

I don’t know why they would make the call on ten Hag this year when the manager market is shit.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
There's enough decent reports that United has been in contact with reps of McKenna in the last week, not McKenna directly but clearly they are interested.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
From my understanding, I’ve heard from good sources online that United haven’t actually spoken to any other manager yet. They are waiting until after the FA Cup.

I don’t know why they would make the call on ten Hag this year when the manager market is shit.

There are always good managers around. United are a laughing stock really, but the size of the club is still big enough to attract some quality managers there. As i said before, Uniteds issue is always chasing the big name, big reputation player or manager instead of the right player or manager.

Now we have loaned out our Uncle Jorge to United, i think he could easily get Emery to move from Villa to United. I reckon he would love a crack at another big job and he's a quality manager.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
United are a laughing stock

nathan fillion castle GIF

Hard to argue with that at the moment.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
nathan fillion castle GIF

Hard to argue with that at the moment.

They will come back at some point. They are too big a club not to.

I do think no European competition may help with a rebuild in some ways because they can focus on signing good young players who would be willing to help rebuild the club rather than the big name players they usually sign. Once they can either get rid of the egos at the club or get the egos in check i think its going to go a long way to getting them back to what they were.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
There are always good managers around. United are a laughing stock really, but the size of the club is still big enough to attract some quality managers there. As i said before, Uniteds issue is always chasing the big name, big reputation player or manager instead of the right player or manager.

Now we have loaned out our Uncle Jorge to United, i think he could easily get Emery to move from Villa to United. I reckon he would love a crack at another big job and he's a quality manager.
United have been a laughing stock since the Glazers took over... Sir Alex was able to achieve something, but we've been an absolute disgrace since.

If ETH is sacked then it's literally the same merry go round that it's been for the last 10yrs... he finished 3rd last year and then the same old lack of squad depth and deadwood players drag the team down... so we sack a coach and start the merry go round again.

Player clean out is what's needed.

Would prefer to keep ETH on and see what he can do with some sort of semblance of a football department

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
United have been a laughing stock since the Glazers took over... Sir Alex was able to achieve something, but we've been an absolute disgrace since.

If ETH is sacked then it's literally the same merry go round that it's been for the last 10yrs... he finished 3rd last year and then the same old lack of squad depth and deadwood players drag the team down... so we sack a coach and start the merry go round again.

Player clean out is what's needed.

Would prefer to keep ETH on and see what he can do with some sort of semblance of a football department

The player clean out is going to be the hard part. Heard Roy Keane talking about it the other day, he was saying there is no way most of the players they need to get rid of are leaving because of the money they are on.

I do think ETH is actually a decent manager, but i think its got the the stage at United where his time is just up there. Just listening to phone ins and reading some United forums, i dont think he has the full backing of the fans and its not going to take much to turn on him if they dont start next season well. While i think he's made mistakes, he's had to contend with a lot of the nonsense there. What hasnt helped him is most of his signings havent made a great deal of impact.

I think a fresh start with a new manager could be what they need, but i'm not sure when their new football department is going to get up and running. Doesnt give you much faith in their capabilities when you see the latest issues with Ashworth and Berrada and they havent even got to United yet. Pretty embarrasing stuff up from those 2.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The player clean out is going to be the hard part. Heard Roy Keane talking about it the other day, he was saying there is no way most of the players they need to get rid of are leaving because of the money they are on.

I do think ETH is actually a decent manager, but i think its got the the stage at United where his time is just up there. Just listening to phone ins and reading some United forums, i dont think he has the full backing of the fans and its not going to take much to turn on him if they dont start next season well. While i think he's made mistakes, he's had to contend with a lot of the nonsense there. What hasnt helped him is most of his signings havent made a great deal of impact.

I think a fresh start with a new manager could be what they need, but i'm not sure when their new football department is going to get up and running. Doesnt give you much faith in their capabilities when you see the latest issues with Ashworth and Berrada and they havent even got to United yet. Pretty embarrasing stuff up from those 2.
Yep deadwood continues to grow at the club, because they just overpay everyone before there's any need to... and then they can't palm them off if they struggle.

They were offered $30m for McTom last year and turned it down... why?

ETH's transfers haven't paid off this year, but it's like how Kevvie had to do everything... that's not how a big team operates. In European football the manager shouldn't be the one out there looking for the talent... they tell the football dept what they want and the football dept goes and finds the best options.... unfortunately it's full of Glazer mates and they have no fucking idea.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Yep deadwood continues to grow at the club, because they just overpay everyone before there's any need to... and then they can't palm them off if they struggle.

They were offered $30m for McTom last year and turned it down... why?

ETH's transfers haven't paid off this year, but it's like how Kevvie had to do everything... that's not how a big team operates. In European football the manager shouldn't be the one out there looking for the talent... they tell the football dept what they want and the football dept goes and finds the best options.... unfortunately it's full of Glazer mates and they have no fucking idea.

I wonder how they are going to fix up the Berrada/Ashworth situation now so they can get the ball rolling with their recruitment. Those two have been so dumb and now have been caught out. Its going to go against Ashworth when his tribunal hearing happens. Not sure if the idiots have incriminated United as well.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I wonder how they are going to fix up the Berrada/Ashworth situation now so they can get the ball rolling with their recruitment. Those two have been so dumb and now have been caught out. Its going to go against Ashworth when his tribunal hearing happens. Not sure if the idiots have incriminated United as well.
Probably sack the coach and give themselves 12 months to pin it on the next coach

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Reports that Xavi is now one of the candidates for the United job.

Can't see it happening.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Everyone will continue to be linked now that the news has practically broke that ETH is out. Easiest clicks of their lives.

I think it'll be McKenna and it's basically a cost saving exercise.

ETH (or new manager) want new players. McKenna comes in, well he's already worked with them and will say he can get more from them.

So work will be done to drop the outrageous wage costs.

You then have people like Sancho/Hannibal/Williams return like 'new signings'.

It'll be free or cheap find type signings where needed.

Sure that might lead to more youth focus, but its not going to help competiveness for a while.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
So we're basically back to doing what we've been doing since Ferguson left.

Sack the manager and hope the next one turns things around, meanwhile the players don't get the blame they should be getting. That's worked out well for us.

In two years time when the players are getting sick of McKenna, they will down tools again and the process will repeat itself.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I think Ten Hag’s to go simply because I think they have gone to far off the beaten track with this playing group. Don’t think everything is sunshine and Rosie’s with him and hence if you are gonna shift mindsets, player clear out, wage policies, to an extent ownership might as well start from scratch. I think they need to try there best to get rid of the dead weight and poor attitude players. Obviously injuries have been rife, I can sympathize to an extent for United and Ten Hags situation this year but I still think the side is so far off what is acceptable that they need to just start from scratch again, build from the ground up.

Antony, Martial (gone), Maguire, Varane, McTominay, Diallo, Van De Beek (Loaned out), Amrabat, Sancho, Lindelof, Eriksen, Malacia, AWB, Mount, Casemiro and Dalot

They all fit in the nothing special category and they make up 85% of the integral squad. Sure some have had good seasons but like still far too many average players making up that squad.

The only crucial players I really left out was Fernandes (speaks for itself), Onana (I think he can be world class), Rashford (super talented but underperforming still), Martinez, Shaw (never available tho) and the 3 core youngsters in Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund who just aren’t good enough to be the crucial players of the team

That’s barely enough in a good year to play Europa let alone be in the champions league and challenging for trophies.

They need a better side, players with a better attitude, some heavy investment in the club facilities wise, more talent, more talent, more talent and a better wage/transfer policy oh and did I say better players. Look it’s a tough fix but it’s an obvious fix. Thing is with United is they are gonna go break the bank on useless as tits players and overspend on them. I think prem proven should be a major category cause there’s no point going and signing Dutch players for 100 million cause they bagged 20 goals against the likes of Vitesse.

It’s gonna be a tough ask to buy in players now without European football. The allure of United is as weak as ever as well. Sadly the only way to get these players to united now is by overpaying them which does absolutely nothing for the club.

I think they are probably short a quality winger, another striker, a quality midfielder and multiple quality defenders.

Will undoubtedly be the most interesting team to watch this window. As much as I’m a Wolves fan I have a soft spot for United so I am hopeful they can fix there issues.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Broncorob
  • Aldo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Fozz
  • Scorchie
  • Skyblues87
  • Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  • Robboi_321
  • Manofoneway
  • davidp
  • johnny plath
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.