PLAYER Ezra Mam

The downfall of this club from 2023 grand final should be studied in universities. What a nightmare this year has been. Do what they want with Ezra IMO. Couldn’t care less. If Cobbo pulls his finger out put him at 1 and Walsh at 6. It’s the only real chance we’re an attacking threat on both sides of the park.

It will be interesting what becomes of Cobbo this season, who I strongly suspect shares some of Ezra's lifestyle quirks. If Madge can straighten him out, he could be anything. Kevvie clearly couldn't.

I'm not particularly confident in this, but our strongest short term fix to losing Ezra might be the dreaded Walsh to 6, Cobbo to 1, bandaid. Could be a disaster, but they're our strongest players in these two most critical attacking positions. Let's put it this way: every other option at 6 would be weaker, and if Selwyn can transition to 1 like many believe he eventually will, it could be a masterstroke. There are plenty of reasons not to do this, as in fullback isn't broken, but there it is: we're desperate.

If you're curious to know what drum I'll be banging continuously all season, it won't be that one. I have my eye on getting more from our number 14, and by the end of the season, I'd like it to be Black. Unless he's already 7, of course.
If we're going that route, I would prefer Cobbo at 6 and Walsh at 1... Cobbo a better defender in the line and just because Walsh has the 1 on his back wouldn't mean he can't do what a half does anyway (kicking, etc.).

I don't really see Cobbo as someone for the spine though... he's a great runner of the ball, but if you're in the spine your role is to get the best out of your teammates and open up opportunities for them as well... Cobbo hasn't shown me any glimpses of ball playing as yet... he has a great short pass from centre though and is the only one in the team to show that so far.

"should maybe pay for a life coach" ,

"I hope the situation ends well and Ezra gets some proper guidance to get back on the right track for broncos and himself"
This is actually where I have thought for a while how the Broncos Old Boys should have been incorporated into the clubs off field structure today tbh.

Coming in on the club's behalf, at a distance from the actual football operations in a one on one mentor/life coaching role if they are still wanting to help, and the football department thinks certain individual players would benefit from it.

I wouldn't do anything crazy. Try and sign Hunt with Mam's money and if that doesn't eventuate play Madden and Reynolds. Madden is pretty average but at least he'd have Reynolds beside him. Maybe we'd be less frantic too. If Reynolds goes down we're screwed no matter what combo they put out.

It will be interesting what becomes of Cobbo this season, who I strongly suspect shares some of Ezra's lifestyle quirks. If Madge can straighten him out, he could be anything. Kevvie clearly couldn't.

I'm not particularly confident in this, but our strongest short term fix to losing Ezra might be the dreaded Walsh to 6, Cobbo to 1, bandaid. Could be a disaster, but they're our strongest players in these two most critical attacking positions. Let's put it this way: every other option at 6 would be weaker, and if Selwyn can transition to 1 like many believe he eventually will, it could be a masterstroke. There are plenty of reasons not to do this, as in fullback isn't broken, but there it is: we're desperate.

If you're curious to know what drum I'll be banging continuously all season, it won't be that one. I have my eye on getting more from our number 14, and by the end of the season, I'd like it to be Black. Unless he's already 7, of course.
Paix at 6. Walsh stays at 1 and Cobbo on the wing.

If we're going that route, I would prefer Cobbo at 6 and Walsh at 1... Cobbo a better defender in the line and just because Walsh has the 1 on his back wouldn't mean he can't do what a half does anyway (kicking, etc.).

I don't really see Cobbo as someone for the spine though... he's a great runner of the ball, but if you're in the spine your role is to get the best out of your teammates and open up opportunities for them as well... Cobbo hasn't shown me any glimpses of ball playing as yet... he has a great short pass from centre though and is the only one in the team to show that so far.

If Mam is sacked and Maguire feels he can straighten out Cobbo, I honestly think Cobbo to fullback and Walsh into the halves is a route we should go. Reyno has one more season at most in him.

Walsh isn't a rookie and look at how good a 7 Hughes has become after starting as a 1 and in terms of natural playmaking, Walsh is light years ahead of Hughes at this stage of their careers. It would also allow us to put a season into Walsh in the halves and allow for him to take the reigns come 2026 and bring in Black as his halves partner.

A motivated Cobbo would be a massive weapon at fullback with his kick returns. You could also at times interchange him and Walsh.

If you could turn Mam's money into Hunt or Mulitalo (plus potentially some other extensions in Willison, etc), which would you do?

Realistically, I don't think that they will sack him - the RLPA alone will make sure of that. But he will be used as an example for how the new-look Broncos leadership handle and deal with such situations. Going on precedent from other drug-related incidents, he'll easily get a 2–6-week suspension (potentially more), will have a massive fine hanging over his head, community service and counselling.

If his secondary test comes back positive, he'll also have criminal charges as well as a potential civil case if they driver decides to sue him for damages and loss of income.

I don't believe that either he or Walsh got an “official” warning from the NRL following the Bali incident, so that will probably help him somewhat.

Overall, bloody stupid thing to do and the consequences of this are going to be felt well beyond the footy field. As you said, hopefully this is the kick up the pants that's needed, not just for Ezra but for the entire squad - it's just unfortunate that someone else has had to be hurt in the process.
How about just paying a massive fine and the threat of huge suspension over his head?

It annoys me that the club suffers, but the individual basically has a mini holiday in these scenarios.

Make it hurt the hip pocket!

Yep, i'm sure we can find some other 80kg child to run the ball straight to the opposition. I'm sure his replacement could even miss some tackles and throw an intercept like Mam as well.
Palpatine

How about just paying a massive fine and the threat of huge suspension over his head?

It annoys me that the club suffers, but the individual basically has a mini holiday in these scenarios.

Make it hurt the hip pocket!

Being uninsured and at fault, there will definately be pain for the hip pocket.

Yeah I actually think if Cobbo is meant to be the next Inglis and Walsh is Slater then let’s go full 2007 Storm.

1. Walsh
6. Cobbo
7. Reynolds
9. Hunt
14. Mozer

With drugs, an opinion from a forensic medical officer will be required, which will be based on a few factors - the level of drugs in his system, body mass, time since taking them and so on.

This is a very flawed and innaccurate system .
THC can be detected in blood long after the impairment has finished .
A test for actual impairment at the time driving not just the presence of metabolites would be a big improvement on the current model .
Tasmania allows people with a prescription for THC to drive their cars . Victorian parliment is debating changes to their drug driving laws ATM .

I wouldn't do anything crazy. Try and sign Hunt with Mam's money and if that doesn't eventuate play Madden and Reynolds. Madden is pretty average but at least he'd have Reynolds beside him. Maybe we'd be less frantic too. If Reynolds goes down we're screwed no matter what combo they put out.
Id be down with hunt for a season or two at 6. No pressure to organise at 7 and be the man, just go out there and compete..

Got his head screwed on, older generation, would be a good influence on the young group, balance out the alpha rockstar crud a bit..
Black can keep developing and take over in the next few years..

How come they don’t all just do fortnightly drug test for all clubs, I’m sure enough walsh would be positive as well considering he was in Bali as well.

They are on holidays .
The boss can`t check your piss while you are on leave .

Coke and Meth are out of the system in like 2 days .
Play Friday . Hit the powders Friday night / Saturday morning . Clean again for Monday piss test . Easy peasy . Going on at every club guaranteed .

If you could turn Mam's money into Hunt or Mulitalo (plus potentially some other extensions in Willison, etc), which would you do?
Yep if we could get hunt at a good price and then top up willison
Need a few more experienced blokes with their head screwed on like hunty in the group

They are on holidays .
The boss can`t check your piss while you are on leave .

Coke and Meth are out of the system in like 2 days .
Play Friday . Hit the powders Friday night / Saturday morning . Clean again for Monday piss test . Easy peasy . Going on at every club guaranteed .
You reckon the panthers players are hitting the bags on the weekend?

This is a very flawed and innaccurate system .
THC can be detected in blood long after the impairment has finished .
A test for actual impairment at the time driving not just the presence of metabolites would be a big improvement on the current model .
Tasmania allows people with a prescription for THC to drive their cars . Victorian parliment is debating changes to their drug driving laws ATM .
What I am describing there, is an FMO opinion on the level of intoxication and whether medically speaking it would deem the person "under the influence" of said drugs, or the drugs merely present in his system.

The two offences are substantially different in penalty and scope. There will be a traffic infringement notice shortly I believe for drive with relevant drug present, where as drive under the influence (of liquor or drugs) will always remain a court proceeding with immediate driver licence suspension and so forth.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Redfern_1980
  • broncoscope
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Xzei
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Dexter
  • RolledOates
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • KevieBurnerAccount
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  • bb_gun
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.