Family key in Oates' bid to keep Maroons spot

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
COREY Oates’ family has helped him to turn his game around in recent weeks, as he makes a final bid to retain his place in the Queensland side.

The Broncos winger was back to his best on Friday night against the Rabbitohs, scoring a double in the first half.

Both tries required some freakish acrobatics from Oates in what was one of his best showings this NRL season, as he returned to his strong running game to notch up 177m.

After last month stating he did not think he was playing well enough for a State of Origin recall, Oates’ return to form will put him back in the frame to take his place in Kevin Walters’ backline.

The 22-year-old said he had his family to thank for helping him work back to his best.

Oates said they were the ones who helped him realise he had strayed from his usual game this season.

“A few family members helped me out there,” Oates said. “It’s good when they can help you out.

‘‘When they can see it, you can relate to it and see that they’re right.

‘‘It was just about going back to basics and not always running the set plays.

“I was thinking about things too much and changing my game. I have shied away from what I am good at.

‘‘I feel like I went back to the way I was (on Friday).

“While I still can improve, I feel like I am getting back to where I was.

‘‘It will take time but I have to try to stay in the game.”

Oates said he hoped he still had enough time to show Walters why he was still deserving of his Maroons spot.

He said Friday’s 25-24 away win over the Rabbitohs was the first step toward that and he now wanted to use Thursday’s home clash against Penrith to continue his momentum.

From that, he hoped the Origin rewards would come.

“While I’m happy with my game, I do want to improve,” he said.

“I still feel like I’ve got a bit more to improve on.

‘‘All I can do is do my best and wait to see what they do with the selections.

“You never want to not play Origin.

‘‘I have to keep doing those carries I am good at, try to do my best and not stuff it up.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/140c89860a07a783782e80d523a2562c

Hmm. Not sure how it was his fault he wasn't playing well in the first place. Moga never gets him any quality ball. The only quality ball he's had have been cut out passes.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • MrMoore
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • Big Del
  • Browny
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • azza.79
  • kman
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • porouian
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Broncs1459
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.