Favorite Broncos Premiership?

Wild Horse

Wild Horse

NRL Player
Jan 26, 2017
Really great reading the stories behind your favorite Broncos Premiership. It has made me realise that I do in fact have a favorite premiership and a story to go with it. I never even knew about the Broncos in 1992. I started watching RL at 12 years of age in 93. I would watch Friday night football and as I knew of no Broncos team I went for the Bulldogs simply because they were blue lol.

Anyways, one Friday night I tuned in and a team called the Brisbane Broncos were playing the Balmain Tigers! I could not believe my eyes being a Queenslander myself... Wow a Queensland team in the NSW Rugby League I thought?.. Well... this Broncos team went on to beat the Tigers 50 points to nil that night. I found out through Ray Warren's excited commentary that these Broncos were the premiers. My 12 year old mind was in love with all of this. I found my team, they were the premiers, and they had just handed a Sydney team a 50 nil thrashing that I will NEVER forget.

Later that year I watched the Broncos do what people thought was impossible in the finals. They thrashed Manly, then Canberra, had a close win over Canterbury and beat the Dragons (the team I feared the most) for the 2nd year in a row in the grand final. 1993 is my favorite Broncos premiership. 2006 is a close 2nd.

'FaithinHook' posted in this thread that the next premiership we win will be the favorite and I can't argue with that. It has been a long time coming. Cheers to that.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
First post has got the right idea. Beating the cheating Storm at the GF when nobody gave us a chance is an achievement much bigger than even the coveted trophy will ever demonstrate.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
2006 is currently my favourite premiership and became far more satisfying once news of the Storms salary cap rorts came to light.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
2006 was a good one. I recall the storm game on a rare Sunday arvo (circa round 20) where we got beat but turned the corner. I remember this arsehole storm fan behind me (their rent a crowd fan base was peaking at the time) at that game who's kid spat a spit ball at me for no reason other than the fact he was a turd. We had a good blow up in the stands and They went on to beat us and the wozzle eyed prick rubbed my nose in it. I said 'see u in September arsehole'...when that full time siren went in the GF I thought of that grub....shit it was satisfying.

Drover Joe

Drover Joe

BRL Player
Feb 26, 2016
2006. My family and I were in NZ on a trip with friends around the finals time. The night before we were to return home we were in a pub watching the Prelim against the Dogs and the pub kicked us out at halftime, much to our absolute rage. We left really early that morning and with no internet and being down 20-6 at halftime, it was assumed we lost. I was next to my dad on the plane when the hostess walked up to us and gave us the mornings paper, which had been passed down from his friend who was sitting at the front of the plane. On the front cover we saw the news. They then went on to beat a side that were cheating. Something about it just felt so good. Hodges in full flight, Webcke's last run absolutely rolling Scott Hill and also the sheer brilliance of Darren Lockyer. A week i will never forget.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I was in a similar situation @Drover Joe.

School had just ended for the term and I was off to Sydney with the family. Trying to keep up to date with the game was torture as we were moving around the airport through out the first half. It seemed like whenever we came across a television, the Bulldogs would have scored again and by the time we boarded it was 20-6.

Fortunately we had ABC Radio on the flight so we weren't kept on the dark. Listening to their coverage was so sweet because they had absolutely lapped up the first half. They were already speculating about how the Bulldogs were going to back up a week later with their injuries and who'd they prefer to face.

Sitting on the plane, I was reminded of an earlier game from that year against the Raiders where the boys fought back from an 18 point deficit. While it was long odds, if the boys could produce something you never knew...

The trip down to Sydney was something special. Lots of ya-hooing, high-fiving and just the shock of knowing they'd made another grand final. Being in Sydney around grand final week was surreal and while I had no say in the matter, it's a shame I couldn't stay around for the grand final. In the end, I had to settle for the Dragons v Storm prelim which was a good experience, although I got in trouble with my Ma because I thought it'd be a good idea to correct some drunkards about their footy facts.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Sure, the '92 GF was a special one for the reasons listed above. But, to me 2006 was even better.

To mount a comeback late in the season to finish 3rd. Go down in the first week, bounce back the week after, come back from 20-6 down to make the GF and then beat a side that were over the cap and throughout the season were better than us in every single department.

And despite what a lot of people say, once Broncos got control of that game, to me Storm were done. We controlled that game so damn well.

Berrigan being the little terrier he was cutting down Inglis every chance he got. Lockyer showing the Storm halves how it's done. Casey McGuire with the miracle pass and Locky with the miracle pick up and spin to make the winning try happen. Locky smashing that field goal with such ease. Hoffman crying his eyes out at full time. Webcke being deservedly sent out a winner and ending that premiership drought. It was special.

Canga

Canga

NYC Player
Sep 16, 2008
For me has to be the first one in 92. Was at the game with my mate huge Dragons supporter and gave it to him we back up in 93 and went to the game for another win

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
2006 for me for sure. All of the others besides 93 felt inevitable. 93 is a close 2nd. I cried when Willie Carne scored the match clinching try in 93, but I haven't really been emotional about it since. But 2006 still gets me every time I watch.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
What did he say after the grand final?
To be honest , I don't know. I only listened to the sports bit, well league bit. I'd rang in to his talkback programme. I even had an old casette recording of the conversation ! Unfortunately I lost it years and years ago.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
For me has to be the first one in 92. Was at the game with my mate huge Dragons supporter and gave it to him we back up in 93 and went to the game for another win
We both were there ! I've still got my ticket ! Alan Cann ran straight at us

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's obvious isn't it. Nothing has eclipsed the 1989 Panasonic Cup.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Trolls-Have-New-Tool-to-Crash-Safari-Reboot-iOS-Devices.png

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015

Sure, the '92 GF was a special one for the reasons listed above. But, to me 2006 was even better.

To mount a comeback late in the season to finish 3rd. Go down in the first week, bounce back the week after, come back from 20-6 down to make the GF and then beat a side that were over the cap and throughout the season were better than us in every single department.

And despite what a lot of people say, once Broncos got control of that game, to me Storm were done. We controlled that game so damn well.

Berrigan being the little terrier he was cutting down Inglis every chance he got. Lockyer showing the Storm halves how it's done. Casey McGuire with the miracle pass and Locky with the miracle pick up and spin to make the winning try happen. Locky smashing that field goal with such ease. Hoffman crying his eyes out at full time. Webcke being deservedly sent out a winner and ending that premiership drought. It was special.
Berrigan was amazing in 2006. I think he is such an underrated player. Offered so much spark out of dummy half and had an amazing tackling technique for a little bloke. Other than Smith, he is the best hooker i've seen and had such an ability to break a game open with his darting runs.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Berrigan was amazing in 2006. I think he is such an underrated player. Offered so much spark out of dummy half and had an amazing tackling technique for a little bloke. Other than Smith, he is the best hooker i've seen and had such an ability to break a game open with his darting runs.

Yeah he often doesn't get talked about when people talk about that 06 side but to me he was a big reason why we won the premiership.

His famous try against the Bulldogs is up there in my all time favourite tries list.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.