Favorite Broncos Premiership?

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Y
Yeah he often doesn't get talked about when people talk about that 06 side but to me he was a big reason why we won the premiership.

His famous try against the Bulldogs is up there in my all time favourite tries list.
Yeah that try was amazing. He scored a double that night. First try in first half and first in the second. Dad had him first try scorer both halves + Broncos to win 13+ Won enough to pay for the trip down + the grand final trip :p

NImitz

NImitz

BRL Player
Sep 8, 2016

fd2bac6b4ff765e3ae61e40dd265cef3
Definitely, as it was Webcke's final game as well..we need someone of his calibre..hopefully the young forwards step up.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Yeah he often doesn't get talked about when people talk about that 06 side but to me he was a big reason why we won the premiership.

His famous try against the Bulldogs is up there in my all time favourite tries list.

Really? Every person I talk to about that game says "How fucking good was Berro?"

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Really? Every person I talk to about that game says "How fucking good was Berro?"

Every person I talk to (except for on here), including Facebook very rarely mention him. Just talk about Lockyer, Webcke and Hodges.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah everyone I know even Bulldog fans knew Berrigans effort changed the match momentum entirely, he well and truly got his praise that night and still does.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Huge huge fan of Berro. What a champion player.

Would I be correct in saying he's the only player to have benched Cameron Smith while in the same team? Heck, has anyone besides Berrigan even shared game time with Smith?

I remember Smith got benched in the 06 tri nations with Berrigan starting, and for the rest of the tournament they shared game time.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Yeah everyone I know even Bulldog fans knew Berrigans effort changed the match momentum entirely, he well and truly got his praise that night and still does.
He was magnificent in the GF as well. He made Inglis his bitch!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Not according to Rugby League Project @broncospwn.

I thought it may have been more recent, but the last time Smith came off the bench was against Brisbane way back in 2012. The player? Ryan Hinchcliffe and the Storm were unphased running out 34-10 victors. This wasn't a once off either, this had been a selection Bellamy had toyed with on and off since 2009, usually around Origin time to give Smith a break from the early onslaught.

However, the overall list is still miniscule. Outside of Berrigan and Hinchcliffe, the only other player to hold that distinction was Danny Williams during Smith's rookie season (2003).

Worth mentioning, the game Berrigan started over Smith also happened to be the only game Australia lost. Other bizarre selections included Jamie Lyon being selected based on Super League form over Justin Hodges & Ben Hornby being preferred over Johnathan Thurston.

deep impressions

deep impressions

U18 Player
Dec 23, 2015
Lots of love for the 2006 win but for me you cannot top '93. Coming from 5th and beating all the contenders in consecutive weeks to complete back-to-back premierships was special. They blew Manly and the Raiders away, while the SF against the Dogs, with Alan Cann's classic try ("somebody stop him, he'll run out of the stadium") was a cracker. Then a dour shut down of the Dragons after losing to them in the final round of competition in front of a packed ANZ stadium.

Really great reading the stories behind your favorite Broncos Premiership.

Anyways, one Friday night I tuned in and a team called the Brisbane Broncos were playing the Balmain Tigers! I could not believe my eyes being a Queenslander myself... Wow a Queensland team in the NSW Rugby League I thought?.. Well... this Broncos team went on to beat the Tigers 50 points to nil that night. I found out through Ray Warren's excited commentary that these Broncos were the premiers. My 12 year old mind was in love with all of this. I found my team, they were the premiers, and they had just handed a Sydney team a 50 nil thrashing that I will NEVER forget.

Wild Horse I remember watching that match as a kid. They started slow that night, i think only scoring first after around 20 minutes, then went ballistic - Renouf was rampant. Would love to see highlights but I have memories of some outrageous long range tries.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.