FIFA bars Vukovic from Olympics

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He was stupid to strike the ref and he got what was coming to him. Although after seeing some of the refereeing in the a-league i've felt like hitting a ref too.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
How did he only get 9 months for hitting a referee?

Jeza23

Jeza23

NRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
Coxy said:
How did he only get 9 months for hitting a referee?

Agreed! Should have been a couple of years at least.

You cant do that no matter what sport you are playing or at what level, simple as that.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Scotty said:
He was stupid to strike the ref and he got what was coming to him. Although after seeing some of the refereeing in the a-league i've felt like hitting a ref too.

Without doubt! There's been times at Broncos games I've been that filthy at the ref I have, for a second, contemplated waiting around after the game to give them a serve, or more. It's a fleeting second, but your frustrations do get up.

However, as a player you have to exhibit control. As soon as that invisible wall of respect between players and officials is broken with physical violence, the entire integrity of sport is broken, whatever the sport may be.

To me 9 months just seems far too lenient for such a drastic violation of the spirit of sportsmanship.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, I cannot believe the sympathy this tool has received. He hit a ref. There seems to be this pathetic notion flying around within Australian media that he has been hard done by here. He was lucky to get 9 months IMO and well done FIFA for finding some balls and over-turning our joke of a football federation's disgusting decision. He hit an official FFS.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
did any of you guys actually see this? he didnt hit the ref at all, he slapped his hand. like thats a big deal, especially after the stupid calls the ref made, in a grand final.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Shows your total lack of understanding of the gravity of the incident.

Hand slap is OK if the ref has made a few mistakes. OK.
So he makes more mistakes, does that then mean a clip across the ear is OK?
What about 5 monumental mistakes? Can you punch him then?

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
have you ever given someone a high five coxy? did it hurt you or them? does a hand slap mean u should get a 9 month suspension? hell no. a couple of games at the most. the precedent for this was set a few months before when griffiths got off scot free after hitting a linesman in the nuts. i dont know how a hand slap is worth 9 months more than a sack whack

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I think twelve months would have been just.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
It was a joke that he was suspended but allowed to play in the Olympics.

For once FIFA gets it right.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
pennywisealfie said:
have you ever given someone a high five coxy? did it hurt you or them? does a hand slap mean u should get a 9 month suspension? hell no. a couple of games at the most. the precedent for this was set a few months before when griffiths got off scot free after hitting a linesman in the nuts. i dont know how a hand slap is worth 9 months more than a sack whack

Oh come ON. It wasn't a high five!

And yes, Griffiths should've copped a heap. Just because he didn't, doesn't mean the other bloke shouldn't have.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Vukovic should have got 3 months not 9, yes he did a very wrong thing but it was at the very very low end of the scale. It was stupid but factor in the situation and how little contact he made and what part of the ref he made contact with then I think 3 months would have been adequate. Griffiths should have got a year and it is a disgrace that he got to collect the player of the season award because he shouldn't have been there.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Vukovic should have got 3 months not 9, yes he did a very wrong thing but it was at the very very low end of the scale. It was stupid but factor in the situation and how little contact he made and what part of the ref he made contact with then I think 3 months would have been adequate. Griffiths should have got a year and it is a disgrace that he got to collect the player of the season award because he shouldn't have been there.

MB, cannot agree with you. Ask yourself what happens if someone does that in La Liga or the EPL. You cannot consider the situation or the extent to which he did damage with the strike. He struck out at a referee, end of. 1 year minimum IMO.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
You don't touch the officials. Simple as that. FFA's ruling was a joke and sent completely the wrong message. Especially considering the problems with parents towards referees at junior sports matches. The referees/umpires are simpley off limits and FFA are clearly out of touch with public opinion.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
but the precedent was set. griffiths got off for a far worse offence.vukovic shouldnt have been suspended at all, because of this.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Alec
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lostboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Robboi_321
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • lynx000
  • peter09
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncs30
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.