Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
59bc0f51bc043 4096362 rl broncos nikorima  sd 1280x720

Kodi Nikorima on his decision to turn down Melbourne and why he’s happy at Brisbane

September 21, 2017

KODI Nikorima says he has no regrets over rejecting a Melbourne contract as the Broncos livewire prepares to face the man who could have been his scrumbase partner — Storm champion Cooper Cronk.

Nikorima faces the biggest test of his NRL career when he trades playmaking blows with Queensland ace Cronk, who has a formidable 82 per cent success rate against the Broncos.

Just two years ago, the Broncos were resigned to losing Nikorima, who received a more lucrative offer from the Storm under coach Craig Bellamy’s plan to use the attacking dynamo at five-eighth alongside Cronk.

But in the ultimate show of loyalty, Nikorima shocked the Storm by spurning the opportunity to be mentored by Cronk and Cameron Smith as he sets his sights on clinching the Broncos No.7 jumper.

The gamble has paid dividends. Nikorima will start at halfback charged with outpointing Cronk, admitting he couldn’t bring himself to walk away from the famous Broncos culture cultivated by Wayne Bennett.

“Melbourne are like the Broncos,” Nikorima said. “They are a big club with a good culture down there.

“Personally it was good knowing that the Storm and other clubs were interested in me, but I love the Broncos. They are a family club. I wanted to give Brisbane every opportunity to keep me here and it’s worked out well in the end.

“I thought about what they (Cronk and Smith) could do for me, but I made my decision and I’m pretty happy to be at the Broncos.

“We have class players here, too, like Ben Hunt and Andrew McCullough who have taught me a lot.”

The Nikorima-Cronk showdown shapes as a David and Goliath battle.

Cronk, Australia’s pre-eminent halfback, has a ruthless habit of dismantling Brisbane, having won 23 of 28 games against the Broncos.

But Bennett urged Nikorima to avoid trying to copy Cronk, telling the Kiwi Test utility to back his own skill set against the NRL’s premiership favourites.

“I want him to run the ball,” the Broncos coach said. “That’s what Kodi does best.

“He is who he is and Cooper is who he is. They are different players. He shouldn’t be daunted by that (going up against Cronk) — I just want Kodi to play his style.”

Nikorima has filled in at fullback for the injured Darius Boyd over the past fortnight and admits the time has come to prove his big-game bona fides in the No.7 jumper.

“There’s every belief in this group of men we have here. We aren’t going down there to give them a training run and hopefully we can come away with a win,” he said.

“When Benny Hunt got injured earlier in the year and knowing he was leaving (to the Dragons), I said to myself, ‘If I really want this (halfback spot), I have to show it.

“It’s now or never. I see myself as a future halfback, but I have to keep improving.”

Source: Courier Mail

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Chucked the footy show on in the fallse hope they would be talking about something like.....y'know, the games this weekend. Theyy spent probably 2 minutes speculating on whether Thurston would make a comeback this season before spending 5 minutes talking about whether Fittler would be the next NSW coach before going onto the rest of their rubbish segments. TV off. Seriously it's the prelims and they have nothing in the least constructive to talk about. Why won't that show just die already

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Chucked the footy show on in the fallse hope they would be talking about something like.....y'know, the games this weekend. Theyy spent probably 2 minutes speculating on whether Thurston would make a comeback this season before spending 5 minutes talking about whether Fittler would be the next NSW coach before going onto the rest of their rubbish segments. TV off. Seriously it's the prelims and they have nothing in the least constructive to talk about. Why won't that show just die already

haha why would he make a comeback he will hurt his shoulder again!

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
First to 12 points wins. Simples.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Bennett is playing the media like a violin this week....

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Perhaps too much media talk.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I don't think the Broncos will win, it will be a miracle if they do.

But I just want to see them put up a fucking fight instead of being humiliated. That's all I ask for, just show a bit of fucking heart.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Who was it earlier that said we need to show the Storm no respect? That's where I'm at right now. The Storm show no respect to their opposition or the game. As brilliant as their players are, they still resort to bullshit tactics, illegal tactics, to win. On the field and off it, they've shown that they'll do anything they can to rig the game in their favour. Cheating salary caps. Foul play like blatantly holding Thaiday in the scrum so Slater can run through the gap. Dangerous tactics like chicken wings & grapple tackles. Fucking dog acts like the rolling pin where ex-players have admitted that they were taught to drop their knees on the opposition's calves in order to injure them and leave them unable to quickly return to their feet.

Milford had the right idea throwing the ball straight at Cam Smith as he sat in the ruck. **** him. The shitstain was mortified, because how dare someone be allowed to get away with it, like he has a mortgage on milking penalties. We need more of that shit. Someone rough Slater up, he goes fucking nuts when things don't go his way. And Munster. Fucking Smith clocks off during Origin while Boyd and Milford are in the spine but as soon as his mates are back he decides to give a shit. Making Munster look like a superstar in the process. I hope Milford does not forget the turd sandwich he was handed during Origin and completely outplays his pampered opposite number.

It would be so sweet to watch Bennett walk stone faced down to the field, victorious but unfazed, while Bellamy blows a fucking head gasket and sooks all the way down to the sheds, knowing he'll never again have the luxury of coaching the Big 3 and his reputation as a master coach begins its inevitable death spiral.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
This is the moment you dream for as fans. Your team, in a Grand Final qualifier up against the best team in the competition it doesn't get more serious than this. All week the Broncos have been written off and for good reason. This Melbourne team is something else, they've got three legends of the game, they've got the best backline in the game and their forward pack is as relentless as ever. However, they're not invincible and as a Broncos fan I'm excited at the prospect of Brisbane writing another chapter in their history.

Make no mistake about it, the Broncos have the chance to record another historic win in their rich history. If they knock off Melbourne, it will go down as one of the biggest upsets in club history and like in 06 could very well be the game that sets the side onto premiership glory. For all we know this next week a few of us will be sorting out accomodation, travel and match-day expenses, now wouldn't that be exciting?

Every media outlet has declared this side as dead on arrival, I say let's **** that noise and believe that this is our time, that the pieces we've assembled will come together and we will avenge all those losses Melbourne dished out when they had an illegal side. We've got the troops, we've got the coach all we need is the support and anything can happen.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Here's a bit of trivia.

Who were the last team to win the premiership in the year they were the minor premiers by a clear 6 points or more?

I should add, legally.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I would like to see the state of origin guys disrespecting cam smith tonight. Someone like Thaiday or even Boyd just manhandle cam smith out of no where. When he's not looking just give him a big shove in the back or something. Just anything to get him rattled.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
I dreamt about the game last night haha, Melbourne were leading 6-0 until i woke up :awwwman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • Bish
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.