First Test- Australia v South Africa

We lost a 3 test series 1-0 in Sri Lanka in 1999

If the runs prove too much tomorrow; I would take as much if not more delight in seeing us do a South Africa in 2012 and just bat to save it. It's still my favourite AB innings 33 runs 220 balls.

Faf on debut 110 off 376 balls. A draw but it frustrated and tired out our bowlers and we were still paying for it next Test after Adelaide.

We've lost the art of batting; putting your pride aside and saving your team.

Let's not forget Steve Smith, meant to be leading from the front, hasn't performed well since the end of the 2015-16 Summer.

248 runs in Sri Lanka @ 41.33

0 & 34 to start this Summer.

Let's hope he finds his groove again ASAP, we're going to need him in top form if we're going to win a test this season.

If the runs prove too much tomorrow; I would take as much if not more delight in seeing us do a South Africa in 2012 and just bat to save it. It's still my favourite AB innings 33 runs 220 balls.

Faf on debut 110 off 376 balls. A draw but it frustrated and tired out our bowlers and we were still paying for it next Test after Adelaide.

We've lost the art of batting; putting your pride aside and saving your team.
Obviously the Aussies aren't going to chase down the total but a draw is slightly possible if these two bat to lunch, Nevill and Siddle can hang in there for significant periods of time. These two teams always pull off the amazing when they play each other. But escaping Perth with a draw is a tall order indeed and is extremely unlikely with the pitch playing a few tricks. Adelaide is one thing, Perth is on a different dimension.

We haven't lost a first Test at home since 1988. West Indies beat us by nine wickets at the 'Gabba.

As South Africa close in on a hard-fought victory, it's encouraging to see Khawaja reach 97. It's a shame he couldn't have lasted the day, but he's been the only batsmen so far to show any fight this innings.

Unfortunately it wasn't enough. JP Duminy has enjoyed a great innings and Kagiso Rabada has well and truly made a name for himself.

I agree that a serious review is in order. It appears that Cricket Australia has already begun the process, but I'd like to see more opportunities to bridge the gap between First Class & Test level. Whether that's more Australia A tours, improved scheduling, or another pathway remains to be seen. Obviously that's a long term goal and in the short term Australia has to make the most of what they've got.

By the same token, you've got to hand it to the Proteas. It's been a great performance from them and they would have beaten most sides.

So I'd say that these players will be seriously under the microscope a lot by next test:

5. Voges
6. MMarsh

We've all thrown up a lot of names of late and it may well be too early but I've been thinking about it a lot, is Cartwright worth a left-field shot? Let me explain my reasoning on it. I feel we've already got an underrated bowling all rounder in Starc. The rest of the tail can all hold the bat as well. Cartwright is a batting all-rounder. He can't do any worse than MMarsh and can bowl well enough to hold up an end. He is an unknown and throwing in the deep end may well be a stupid idea but I love what I've seen from him. Thoughts?

Shaun Marsh is out of the 2nd test with a broken finger, Burns & Ferguson called into squad.

They need to produce test cricketers that are fit enough for test cricket as a result of playing cricket.
the road that they've gone down recently with rotation and resting is simply not working.

Callum ferguson and Joe burns have been called into the squad for an injured Shaun Marsh and a injury cloud over Adam Voges

We've got Lehmann and Patterson, two young guys going great guns, so we bring in Fergusen. I'm slowly losing faith in Lehmann Snr.

We've got Lehmann and Patterson, two young guys going great guns, so we bring in Fergusen. I'm slowly losing faith in Lehmann Snr.
Lehmann Sr. would know better than anyone whether his son was ready to make the step up (which he isn't, either is Patterson). Ferguson is a good selection as he is very experienced and has a solid FC record. Whether that translates to scoring runs in Hobart is another story though. The cupboard is pretty dry in the domestic scene currently.

Happy to see Joe Burns back, this is his chance to cement a place in the Australian side.

Ferguson's selection doesn't inspire much confidence but he's got recent form (101 v WA) and a reasonable track record at Shield level. Ideally you wouldn't pick him but I can see the logic in going with the stop-gap option. Less we see another bizarre Michael Beer esque selection.

Why isn't Lehmann ready? Great record, consistent scoring and has played well in other conditions around the world. What makes Fergusen more ready?

Why isn't Lehmann ready? Great record, consistent scoring and has played well in other conditions around the world. What makes Fergusen more ready?

Let's not lose our minds here.

Lehmann started in 2015 and only played three games so I am happy to leave that- two 50's in those three games. Positive start.

First full year was last year with 8 games and 623 runs at 44.5 and a double 100- that's a good year- certainly not great.

This year two games 158 runs so far.

He's hardly demanding selection. He's had a positive start to his Shield career and is doing good/well the same as a few guys.

Happy to see Joe Burns back, this is his chance to cement a place in the Australian side.

Ferguson's selection doesn't inspire much confidence but he's got recent form (101 v WA) and a reasonable track record at Shield level. Ideally you wouldn't pick him but I can see the logic in going with the stop-gap option. Less we see another bizarre Michael Beer esque selection.

Before last year Fergurson had scored one 100 a year for the previous two season. Last year he scored four.

2013/14- 639 runs @ 39
2014/2015- 565 runs @ 56
2015/2016- 836 runs @ 52
2016/2017- 101 runs @ 50

They're clearly rewarding last year- but batting at home on the Oval I would expect much bigger number than that- he isn't even a prolific scorer like Lehmann or Hussey.

When Lehmann was out of the team.

99/00- 995 runs
93/94- 1065 runs
95/96- 1099 runs
94/95- 1104 runs
05/06- 1168 runs

Last edited:
Let's not lose our minds here.

Lehmann started in 2015 and only played three games so I am happy to leave that- two 50's in those three games. Positive start.

First full year was last year with 8 games and 623 runs at 44.5 and a double 100- that's a good year- certainly not great.

This year two games 158 runs so far.

He's hardly demanding selection. He's had a positive start to his Shield career and is doing good/well the same as a few guys.

In the context of the current Australian batting crop, I'd say he is demanding selection, it's not like back in the good old days where you could wait until someone averaged 50 in FC and scored 1,000 runs in consecutive seasons before they're considered for selection, we simply don't have enough good batsmen coming through to be waiting for that to happen.

Who was the last batsmen we blooded that averaged over 45 in FC? Steve Smith?

Khawaja - 43
Maxwell - 42
Burns - 41
Cowan - 41
Nevill - 41
Wade - 40
S.Marsh - 40
Bailey - 38
Quiney - 38
Doolan - 36
Henriques - 31
M.Marsh - 30

Last edited:

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Xzei
  • The True King
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.