CRICKET First Test- Australia v South Africa

142 overs and not even lasting 2 days and they have the audacity to lecture on what kind of pitches are needed. Had it happened in India, it would have been labelled end of test cricket, ruining test cricket and what not. The Hypocrisy is mind-boggling .

He's quite clearly referencing the Gabba pitch, clearly.

This is going to go on and on, in my time on BHQ you've never been wrong about anything (in your own mind). Apparently it swings after it pitches, something like that anyway.

I'm going to swing on out of this discussion because I have made my point.

He's quite clearly referencing the Gabba pitch, clearly.

This is going to go on and on, in my time on BHQ you've never been wrong about anything (in your own mind). Apparently it swings after it pitches, something like that anyway.

I'm going to swing on out of this discussion because I have made my point.

Clearly, he's talking about Brisbane, I never disagreed with that- but he's also clearly talking about India's history of pitches, and I agreed with that point.

He's right; if India made a raging turner and won in two days, we'd all complain and have all complained for 40 years about it. His point about hypocrisy is well made.

while true ... the difference here is that this pitch helped BOTH bowling attacks equally. when India do it, it only ever helps their team.

Neither sides batting attacks could handle the pitch (not surprising when you have arguably the two best seam attacks in the world, on a pitch that gives them a ton of help.

**** if South Africa were able to get another 50 runs over their two innings, the course of this whole conversation changes dramatically

Richardson rated it "Overall, the Gabba pitch for this Test match was too much in favour of the bowlers. There was extra bounce and occasional excessive seam movement. The odd delivery also kept low on the second day, making it very difficult for batters to build partnerships."

“I found the pitch to be “below average” as per the ICC guidelines since it was not an even contest between bat and ball," he added.

Due to the 'below average' rating, the venue has received one demerit point under the ICC Pitch and Outfield monitoring process. Demerit points remain active for a rolling five-year period and when a venue accumulates five demerit points it is suspended from staging any international cricket for a period of 12 months.

So unless the Gabba shits the bed the next four years in a row its meaningless

So unless the Gabba shits the bed the next four years in a row its meaningless
If we go by the letter of the law then 50 and 20 over cricket count too…….but nobody really cares what pitches they serve up so yep, I guess you’re right.

You could say that it was a pitch made to suit us, however that's hard to buy into when you consider South Africa have just as good a bowling attack.

The difference was Travis Head, not the pitch.
Not sure what any of that has to do with my post but thank you for the response :rofl

No joke, England might have found the next Warney. 18 year old kid just took five in Pakistan, he looks like he is going to be something special.

Micheal Clarke took 6 for 9 in India one time .
He didn`t turn out to be the next Dereck Underwood . Lets check back after 20 tests .

Even the curator has admitted he made a mistake prepping the pitch.

I get the defence of it, I love the Gabba test as much as anyone, but lets be real we would all be up in arms if that sort of green deck was rolled out at Trent Bridge or Edgebaston (admittedly maybe not so much these days with our bowling depth haha).

Can only speak for myself but I was disappointed it was over in two days. The batsmen do have to take responsibility for that but against world class attacks on that pitch almost every third ball was unplayable.

Hopefully we can redeem ourselves next test but for now probably just have to cop the criticism.

Go back and have a look at the old footage of the pitch Clem Jones prepared for the Ashes when we had Lillie and Thommo . The pitch is greener than the outfield .

Yep, where CA rolled out her to keep the tour going. Destroyed Roy in the process

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrMoore
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Painin the Haas
  • Griffo
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.