Flashback Round 22 1995 vs Warriors

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx? ... d-22,-1995

FIFTEEN years ago the New Zealand Warriors were in their first season in the competition and they were to earn a hard lesson from the Broncos.

It was 1995 and in a year the Broncos went close to winning the premiership, they gave the Warriors a round 22 late-season 44-12 pasting.

The great Steve Renouf would cross the paint four times, a feat few people have managed in a premiership game.

Wendell sailor, Darren Smith, Michael Hancock and Allan Langer would also score tries.

There was also a young blonde teenager on the bench for the Broncos that day that people knew little about.

They would soon come to know Darren Lockyer’s name very well.

The match tomorrow night will mark 15 years to the day since this clash with the Broncos to wear their heritage jersey to mark the occasion.

Broncos team:
Julian O'Neill
Michael Hancock
Steve Renouf
Darren Smith
Willie Carne
Kevin Walter
Allan Langer (c)
Glenn Lazarus
Kerrod Walters
Gavin Allen
Peter Ryan
Alan Cann
Terry Matterson

Wendell Sailor
Andrew Gee
Darren Lockyer
Paul Hauff

Brisbane 44 (Renouf 4, Sailor, Smith, Hancock, Langer tries; O'Neill 5, Matterson goals) defeated Auckland 6 (Ngamu try; Ngamu goal), at ANZ Stadium, August 27.

Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
any time is a good time to wear the heritage, we seem to play like shit in the white one this year but usually go okay in the heritage.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Crazy Sam said:
any time is a good time to wear the heritage, we seem to play like shit in the white one this year but usually go okay in the heritage.

Really? Our away record is better than our home record this year, and one of our home wins was in the blue jersey...so our maroon strip has been a curse.

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Testing my memory, how did we not win the premiership that year with that team? Form or a better team got us?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Ghibli said:
Testing my memory, how did we not win the premiership that year with that team? Form or a better team got us?

Lack of form at season's end. Canberra did us in a tight one first week, and Bulldogs raped us with the aid of a shit ref in week 2. Bulldogs went on to win the comp.

Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Crazy Sam said:

Really? Our away record is better than our home record this year, and one of our home wins was in the blue jersey...so our maroon strip has been a curse.

all i remember is we got smacked by the warriors while wearing the white jersey at home :P plus i hate watching a game where the colours of the two teams are almost entirely black/navy and white. we have colour tv's for a reason...

how much have we lost while wearing this particular heritage jersey i wonder? Some of our best performances have come wihle wearing it iirc.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Crazy Sam said:
Coxy said:
[quote="Crazy Sam":1ku9d0nh]any time is a good time to wear the heritage, we seem to play like shit in the white one this year but usually go okay in the heritage.

all i remember is we got smacked by the warriors while wearing the white jersey at home :P plus i hate watching a game where the colours of the two teams are almost entirely black/navy and white. we have colour tv's for a reason...

how much have we lost while wearing this particular heritage jersey i wonder? Some of our best performances have come wihle wearing it iirc.[/quote:1ku9d0nh]

I'm pretty sure we have only lost in them twice, both to the Titans when we were undermanned because of injury.

L

langer77

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2010
GCBRONCO said:
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=29580&title=flashback-round-22,-1995

FIFTEEN years ago the New Zealand Warriors were in their first season in the competition and they were to earn a hard lesson from the Broncos.

It was 1995 and in a year the Broncos went close to winning the premiership, they gave the Warriors a round 22 late-season 44-12 pasting.

The great Steve Renouf would cross the paint four times, a feat few people have managed in a premiership game.

Wendell sailor, Darren Smith, Michael Hancock and Allan Langer would also score tries.

There was also a young blonde teenager on the bench for the Broncos that day that people knew little about.

They would soon come to know Darren Lockyer’s name very well.

The match tomorrow night will mark 15 years to the day since this clash with the Broncos to wear their heritage jersey to mark the occasion.

Broncos team:
Julian O'Neill
Michael Hancock
Steve Renouf
Darren Smith
Willie Carne
Kevin Walter
Allan Langer (c)
Glenn Lazarus
Kerrod Walters
Gavin Allen
Peter Ryan
Alan Cann
Terry Matterson

Wendell Sailor
Andrew Gee
Darren Lockyer
Paul Hauff

Brisbane 44 (Renouf 4, Sailor, Smith, Hancock, Langer tries; O'Neill 5, Matterson goals) defeated Auckland 6 (Ngamu try; Ngamu goal), at ANZ Stadium, August 27.

I miss that team

Active Now

• mitch222
  • MrTickyMcG
  • eggstar10
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Painin the Haas
  • marw
  • Locky24
  • HVbronco
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.