Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Flegler extends his time in Brisbane
broncos.com.au
Wed 18 Dec 2019, 01:47 PM

Brisbane Broncos Rookie Of The Year Thomas Flegler has signed a contract extension with club.

The 20-year-old front rower was already committed to the Broncos for the 2020 season, and has now signed an extension for another year to take him to the end of 2021.

Flegler played 23 games in his debut season, and was named Rookie Of The Year along with fellow prop Pat Carrigan.

“It all happened pretty quick, so I’m pumped to be here for another year and get back into training and focus on 2020,” said Flegler.

The former Tully Tiger promised he would pushing hard to make sure he kept his spot in the Broncos starting 17.

“First of all, I’d just like to get my minutes up, play as many rounds as I can,” he said.

“Ideally I would love to get a starting spot in the number 13 jersey, but if that doesn’t happen I’m still going to go out next week and try my best”.

In his first full preseason under head coach Anthony Seibold, Flegler joked the training schedule contained “a lot of running” – and after missing parts of last preseason due to an ankle injury, he says he’s feeling fitter for it.

“At the moment everything’s heading in a good direction,” he said.

“There’s probably more younger boys in the squad than there is older boys, so we’re binding together really well”.

The young gun isn’t limiting himself to just one maroon jersey next year – revealing that a QLD State of Origin selection is one of his primary ambitions for 2020 and beyond.

“That’s my goal. That’s my big one.”

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/12/18/flegler-extends-his-time-in-brisbane/

Queensland certainly need their up and coming Props to stand up bang the door down for selection some time soon. Fingers crossed Flegler can do exactly that.

I think the future is actually looking pretty bright for Queensland in the front row with Flegler, Ofahengaue, Carrigan, Arrow, Horsburgh, Kerr, Mikaele and a few others, not as much talent as NSW, but some boys who know how to run hard.

I think the future is actually looking pretty bright for Queensland in the front row with Flegler, Ofahengaue, Carrigan, Arrow, Horsburgh, Kerr, Mikaele and a few others, not as much talent as NSW, but some boys who know how to run hard.
Yes.. but Vs Haas

I want to agree. In some respects I do. But out of that list I think only Arrow appear to have proven, elite level talent but he's fairly injury prone, and Carrigan and Flegler maybe have elite level potential but it's still early days for both of them. Horsburgh I'm still not certain about. I'll be keen to see how his second year goes to be honest.

Offa is more than capable of doing a job for most of the next decade, but he's hardly going to cause the opposition too many nightmares you'd think. The others are pretty far from Origin calculations at this point.

The main problem though is when I look at NSW, they have some young Forwards already playing Origin who are probably going to be elite level for the next decade or more (Haas, Murray etc) and they have more on the horizon who could easily get to that level too.

We certainly look to have our work cut out for us, but we've managed it before when the talent gap on paper was this big and hopefully we can do it again in the future.

Last edited:
I want to agree. In some respects I do. But out of that list I think only Arrow appear to have proven, elite level talent but he's fairly injury prone, and Carrigan and Flegler maybe have elite level potential but it's still early days for both of them. Horsburgh I'm still not certain about. I'll be keen to see how his second year goes to be honest.

Offa is more than capable of doing a job for most of the next decade, but he's hardly going to cause the opposition too many nightmares you'd think. The others are pretty far from Origin calculations at this point.

The main problem though is when I look at NSW, they have some young Forwards already playing Origin who are probably going to be elite level for the next decade or more (Haas, Murray etc) and they have more on the horizon who could easily get to that level too.

We certainly look to have our work cut out for us, but we've managed it before when the talent gap on paper was this big and hopefully we can do it again in the future.
The gap closes when the Qlders put on the jersey. As long as we have legends to remind them it's all we need. I'm not concerned for our future. NSW would have to win the next 8 series just to get to where we are now! We'll have our own Payne Hass by then. ****, we'll probably have two of them.

The gap closes when the Qlders put on the jersey. As long as we have legends to remind them it's all we need. I'm not concerned for our future. NSW would have to win the next 8 series just to get to where we are now! We'll have our own Payne Hass by then. ****, we'll probably have two of them.
I'm really keen to share your optimism.

Not sure about the Haas part though. The game quite possibly hasn't had one like him before in over a century. What are the odds three of his like will pop up all in the same decade?

I rate Horsburgh. I think he has all the elements but a couple years of development. I think he is definitely someone that will play origin.

I rate Horsburgh. I think he has all the elements but a couple years of development. I think he is definitely someone that will play origin.
Given Queensland's general lack of depth in most positions coupled with how many Props are typically required over the course of an Origin campaign, he's statistically quite likely to play Origin at some point. That alone won't make him an elite standard NRL Front Rower though.

Last edited:
****....What would I give to go back and transfer Inglis honorary "QLDership" to Haas.

Flegler extends his time in Brisbane
broncos.com.au
Wed 18 Dec 2019, 01:47 PM

Brisbane Broncos Rookie Of The Year Thomas Flegler has signed a contract extension with club.
Badel with the scoop again:

I'm really keen to share your optimism.

Not sure about the Haas part though. The game quite possibly hasn't had one like him before in over a century. What are the odds three of his like will pop up all in the same decade?

humans are getting bigger and training methods are improving. I reckon haas will be the first of many just like him

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Galah
  • Mighty Bronx
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • cento
  • broncs30
  • Kev_Guz
  • MrRobot
  • Pablo
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.