PLAYER Fletcher Baker

The thing that is fair though is Oates isn't as needed as before due to Mariner performing well, so him having a bad game is more damaging then it was before for him to make his case there.

I feel like his catching goes hand in hand with his mindset though, like he has always been a bit iffy on them but in 2022 when he was playing insane, he seemed to catch all the balls he used to drop in other seasons.

Oates still has a place as a bench forward though I feel.

Poor technique the other night .
Unnecessarily turning his torso and letting the ball hit his shoulder / chest rather than front on making a bucket for the ball to land in .

I'll attempt for this to be my only comment on the subject of Baker ... but all the early signs are there for Baker to be one of those guys that will always be bagged regardless of his actual performances.

if we take the USUAL marking matrix for a prop (i.e. averages 10m per run or makes over 100m), then Baker hasn't been anywhere near as bad as has been made out. only one of his games would be considered poor. so let's have a quick look at the break down of his season so far. in fact Baker is averaging better ion every department than JFH from the Panthers

so using the marking matrix: 12m+ = Very Good; 10m - 12m (or 100m+) = Good; 8m - 10m = decent; 7m-8m = OK; 6m< is poor

Round 1 vs Roosters: 33 minutes (Bench), 6 runs for 52m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 18 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 2 vs Rabbitohs: 23 mins (Bench), 11 runs for 88m (avg: 8m per run) and 13 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 3 vs Panthers: 70 mins (Bench), 12 runs for 96m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 33 tackles (MT: 5) = DECENT

Round 4 vs Cowboys: 41 mins (Start), 13 runs for 128m (avg: 9.84m per run) and 19 tackles (MT: 3) = GOOD

Round 5 vs Storm: 35 mins (Start), 3 runs for 20m (avg: 6.66m per run) and 28 tackles (MT: 1) = POOR

Round 6 vs Dolphins: 34 mins (Start), 8 runs for 87m (avg: 10.86m per run) and 26 tackles (MT: 1) = GOOD

Season Average: 39.33 mins, 8.83 runs for 78.5m (avg: 8.89m per run), 22.83 tackles (MT: 1.67)

In comparison James Fisher Harris has averaged: 34 mins, 10 runs for 66m (avg: 6.6m per run) 16 tackles (MT: 1)
I did notice that Baker got a free 20m carry from a dropout against Dolphins.

I did notice that Baker got a free 20m carry from a dropout against Dolphins.
I get metres gained is a loved statistic but I think its overused. Post contact metres is a better metric but for me looking at who does the tough runs off the line and who makes impact with their runs and play the ball is more important. Baker deserves some time but so far he hasn't really done much of note. He is young and in a new team. He only has to be a Jensen to be value

RE Oates

His weaknesses were on display last night.

Bricks for hands and a genuine lack of real pace.........to his credit, he fought back and salvaged his performance in the 2nd half.

He's looking very much like a player in his retirement year.......
I
It was pretty obvious after the Redcliffe game that some people had just carried a mindset through from the Storm game and had already determined that he was terrible again, must be dropped immediately, and should never be seen in a Broncos jersey again.

Hopefully he'll continue to build on the good things he has already done, but unless he becomes an out and out superstar there will always be a slice of the fanbase whose minds are made up...
I just prefer a different type of winger. Oates has errors in him and drops a lot of uncontested or catchable bombs. During some periods this hasn't been an issue but at times it has been common. I'd like a more consistent, less error prone and speedy winger. Oates coming off the bench is a good fit for me. Especially if we need his go forward and he can cover backs and forwards. His game last week was typical of him. Some good, some bad.

I love Corza...but

you know

contact me GIF by Black Luck

I'll attempt for this to be my only comment on the subject of Baker ... but all the early signs are there for Baker to be one of those guys that will always be bagged regardless of his actual performances.

if we take the USUAL marking matrix for a prop (i.e. averages 10m per run or makes over 100m), then Baker hasn't been anywhere near as bad as has been made out. only one of his games would be considered poor. so let's have a quick look at the break down of his season so far. in fact Baker is averaging better ion every department than JFH from the Panthers

so using the marking matrix: 12m+ = Very Good; 10m - 12m (or 100m+) = Good; 8m - 10m = decent; 7m-8m = OK; 6m< is poor

Round 1 vs Roosters: 33 minutes (Bench), 6 runs for 52m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 18 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 2 vs Rabbitohs: 23 mins (Bench), 11 runs for 88m (avg: 8m per run) and 13 tackles (MT: 0) = DECENT

Round 3 vs Panthers: 70 mins (Bench), 12 runs for 96m (avg: 8.66m per run) and 33 tackles (MT: 5) = DECENT

Round 4 vs Cowboys: 41 mins (Start), 13 runs for 128m (avg: 9.84m per run) and 19 tackles (MT: 3) = GOOD

Round 5 vs Storm: 35 mins (Start), 3 runs for 20m (avg: 6.66m per run) and 28 tackles (MT: 1) = POOR

Round 6 vs Dolphins: 34 mins (Start), 8 runs for 87m (avg: 10.86m per run) and 26 tackles (MT: 1) = GOOD

Season Average: 39.33 mins, 8.83 runs for 78.5m (avg: 8.89m per run), 22.83 tackles (MT: 1.67)

In comparison James Fisher Harris has averaged: 34 mins, 10 runs for 66m (avg: 6.6m per run) 16 tackles (MT: 1)
These stats are better than a lot of people would have guessed. But the real problem imo has been his defense which has included some simple missed tackles that have proved costly. They have been misses you usually do not see from a front rower.

These stats are better than a lot of people would have guessed. But the real problem imo has been his defense which has included some simple missed tackles that have proved costly. They have been misses you usually do not see from a front rower.
Missed tackle stats are sometimes deceptive. They can be an easy preventable miss or a hard one or caused by something else. Where they happen is important too

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Evander
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.