NEWS Footy legends call on Wayne Bennett to shift Anthony Milford to fullback for Brisbane

This perception that your best ball runner should be fullback for game breaking abilities is just backwards thinking in today's game... what current fullback is actually breaking the line on kick returns nowadays.

It's very rare for a kick chase to be staggered and offer up any room for the fullback.

what current fullback is actually breaking the line on kick returns nowadays.

Tuivasa-Sheck, Mbye, Trbojevic & Edwards have been pretty regularly either breaking the line or busting multiple tackles and getting the team on the front foot on kick returns. I think it's a very important part of the game right now, and we have the worst Fullback in the NRL at getting the team on the front foot, best case scenario for Darius on a kick return is jogging 10 metres, getting driven back 4 metres and then complaining to the ref for 3 seconds before playing the ball.

BRISBANE playmaking legend Wally Lewis says the Broncos should consider switching Anthony Milford to fullback as Wayne Bennett comes under pressure to ignite his misfiring scrumbase.

Lewis’ assessment was backed up by Queensland fullback great Gary Belcher, who believes Milford looks “lost” in the No.6 jumper and can benefit from a positional shift to the backfield.

SIZE: Oates set for Knights comeback

LOWDOWN: Injuries and suspensions for round 5

Milford has failed to fire at five-eighth so far. (AAP Image/Darren England)
Bennett retained Milford at five-eighth for this Saturday night’s road trip to Newcastle, but statistics underline the playmaking struggles of the richest player in Brisbane’s 30-year history.

In the opening four games this season, $1 million man Milford has failed to score a try or register a try assist as the attacking spearhead in a Broncos side languishing in 10th place.

With fullback Darius Boyd currently managing a niggling hamstring injury, Lewis and Belcher believe handing Milford the No.1 jumper could spark the Broncos backline into action.

Milford was more dangerous at fullback for Canberra.
“Milford could have more freedom at fullback,” said “The King” Lewis, the 34-game Origin icon and Brisbane’s foundation five-eighth.

“There are a few options Wayne could look at. He could play Boyd at five-eighth in defence, which would give Milford more energy at fullback.

“Ultimately, it probably won’t matter what I or anyone else says, you won’t change Wayne Bennett’s mind too much because he likes Darius Boyd at fullback.

“But I think Milford can be an excellent fullback.

“He handled the fullback role very well in his early years at (former club) Canberra. He has great precision, timing and his kick returns were fantastic for the Raiders.

“It would be no secret for me to use Anthony at fullback — he is outstanding in that position.”

Will Bennett be open to a change for Milford? (AAP Image/Darren England)
In 25 career games at fullback, Milford has scored 13 tries and made a staggering 146 tackle busts — an average of almost six per game.

THE LIVING IS EASY IN A BRAND NEW HOME
SPONSORED CONTENT
Canterbury’s Moses Mbye has made a superb transition from the halves to fullback this season and Belcher, a former assistant to Bennett, believes the Broncos should follow suit with Milford.

Boyd’s experience would be valuable in the halves. (AAP Image/Darren England)
“Milford looks lost in the halves,” said Belcher, the ex-Test and Origin fullback.

“Anthony would relish the fullback role. He can be like Moses Mbye — it would take the pressure of him with playmaking responsibilities.

“For me, you put your best ball runner at fullback. Teams would be more worried with Anthony running the ball back than Darius Boyd.

“It would change the whole dynamic of the Broncos team.”

Play VideoPlay
0:00
/
1:55
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

Origin coaches take Melbourne
Former Queensland Origin lock Scott Sattler believes Boyd could bring more composure and stability to the Broncos’ halves.

“Darius needs to get into the frontline, help organise (halfback) Kodi Nikorima a bit more and let Milford just open up in the backfield,” Sattler said.

“The fullback spot is a young man’s position these days with the level of running required.

“Darius would be fine defending in the frontline.

“Initially, it would be a shock to the system but he is 90-odd kilos. He has the size to handle five-eighth.”

So we ignore the other 3 seasons that Milford played at 6? They are acting like he has only moved to 6 this season.

Honestly Wally should keep his mouth shut because he tarnishes his legacy every time he opens it.

Tuivasa-Sheck, Mbye, Trbojevic & Edwards have been pretty regularly either breaking the line or busting multiple tackles and getting the team on the front foot on kick returns. I think it's a very important part of the game right now, and we have the worst
Fullback in the NRL at getting the team on the front foot, best case scenario for Darius on a kick return is jogging 10 metres, getting driven back 4 metres and then complaining to the ref for 3 seconds before playing the ball.

This is why Corey allan would be great to bring through. Such a strong runner with wheels to boot. Isaako is also strong but allan can vall play aswell.

This is why Corey allan would be great to bring through. Such a strong runner with wheels to boot. Isaako is also strong but allan can vall play aswell.
Obviously you have seen him play a few times this year. Has he been playing well?

Obviously you have seen him play a few times this year. Has he been playing well?
Just once this year but 1910 has stated he has been going good in a bad team. That's all you can ask for at this point .

They called for him to go to #1 in 2015 as well, made a lot of experts eat their words.

Curious as to who these experts think is going to play #6 in his stead?

I believe Kodi is going to get the butt end of this deal but he can’t partner Milford, if we have to choose I hope we keep Milford.

If this were a video game and my team was struggling like the broncos I would do this:

9. Kniko
7. Macca
6. Boyd
1. Milford

With instructions for Kniko to play a running halfback like Hook and Isaac Luke to help the forwards build momentum. Milford would be asked to put in the odd grubbed inside the opposition’s 10.

It’s not a video game though so you do none of that and hope either Kniko begins to step up or one of our lower grade halves starts having a blinding hot run of form.

I still fail to understand how moving either Boyd or bird or anyone on our current roster into the halves will improve our performance. And for that matter how moving milf to fullback will improve it. Boyd won’t provide anything that Milford doesn’t already and if the forwards don’t provide go forward then Milford wont have any open space and or momentum to work off the back of.

We simply deal with our recruitment mistakes and push through the year as we are or throw one of the young bucks who are “genuine halfbacks” in the mix and see how they go. Our problem of lacking an organising half had been exposed and swapping any of bird, Boyd, milf or Nikorima won’t fool anyone.

For some reason I'm warming to the idea of Milford at fullback

Birds not a half and he won’t do anything more than Knik. Boyd is busted, won’t do anything in the halves. For mine we need to either go into the market or use a junior.

I’m saying that Pearce & Hokko we’re both on the market last year.

Well he does suffer from a chronic lack of space the way things are at the moment

They called for him to go to #1 in 2015 as well, made a lot of experts eat their words.

Curious as to who these experts think is going to play #6 in his stead?

I believe Kodi is going to get the butt end of this deal but he can’t partner Milford, if we have to choose I hope we keep Milford.

Especially because Milford cost so much cash money...

Especially because Milford cost so much cash money...

He also carried us to the grand final in 2015 dude, was a legitimate CC winner as well. Unfortunately for Kodi as he’s a good player but if someone has to be chopped I hope it’s him and we find someone that can partner him well.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Fozz
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • levikaden
  • ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.