For those that played the game at any point in their life, what position did you play?

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Haven't seen a thread like this but figured it would be an interesting one.

For me I've played a few positions, I was always one of the taller people in my ages growing up even as a kid so I mostly played in the forwards(Prop and Second row) but at the same time I was one of the fastest too(I was tall and skinny) so sometimes I had some Centre and Wing, even one game I played 6 even though I'm a terrible kicker but I was just told to treat it as another back rower.

I always wanted to play fullback even if it was just once but never had the chance, it was annoying because I was a good catcher and had pace but every team I ever played for the best player was always there and I could never get it.

Funnily enough though my favourite game was when I was playing prop because the opposing team just had some fat kids there that where easy to just cut them like a hot knife through butter through the middle and score lol.

That was the last season I played in Under 14s I was the fastest player in my team just ahead of our wingers and played the majority at prop, it was weird because I was aiming at our fullback all season for his position but to be fair he had way more skill and was the fittest in our team by miles, I guess the early growth spurt went against me for that even though I was skinny I was the tallest in our team and one of the heavier players because of that.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I played from under 7's to under 18's and would of played opens if I had a job that would let me. Played club and school.
Was playing hooker for most parts up until under 11's because I was the only one who could pass from the ground left and right and could win a feed against the scrum.
Under 12's onwards I played halfback, 5/8, fullback and centre and then would play wing, centre or fullback when I would play up a age group when they needed players.
Was never a big kid and speed came to me once I hit about 13 where I became the quickest in the team.
Had all the skills just never took it seriously and was more worried about playing with my mates, which is abit of a regret.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I had a bit of a Hoffman experience. Started as 5/8 young, then when passing and kicking became more important I was moved to centre because I was not good enough to be 5/8, then as kids got bigger I was moved to wing because I was too small for centre, then by about 17 I was too slow for wing. Saw the writing on the wall and stopped playing

K

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
I was from a small country town and was quite a good player at a young age. I got scouted by the bulldogs and got signed by a manager, as well. Though I was too small when I went to play juniors for bulldogs, I had to play dummyhalf. Though when I played in the country I was a lock or 2nd row. Lol

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
At club, I started at hooker once we were old enough to play proper positions, played halves for a few years in the middle then back to hooker where I stayed until I finished up in under 17s.

At school I played mostly 5/8 and wing, and at Uni I played centre but filled in at halfback, 5/8, wing and backrow, before playing the finals series of my last season at fullback.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Grade 7 at Maroochydore primary school , my teacher said you`re an agressive little fella I think you had better come play rugby league it might help you get some frustrations out .
Played 2nd row .

High school more 2nd row . Year 12 after a cpl of seasons of AFL I joined the local U/18s in Nambour with some school mates . This team had won the premiership the year before , as had my AFL team . The league side was stacked with rep players . Right from Sunshine Coast to Queensland reps . I played hooker when the rep hooker was away and lock otherwise . But also subbed as prop , centre and fullback on occasions .
One lad I played with got a contract with the Broncos and even played one game of 1st grade .

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Lock / Second Row. Though I never stayed where I should on the field, I just liked tackling and would follow the ball wherever it went lol. I played from U6 to U18's and basically had no injuries, but now that I sometimes think of playing again I am too scared of breaking a leg or something:xxxx:

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Under 13s played on the wing and won the wooden spoon.
Under 14s played centres and won the comp. Retired on top.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Centre and wing. Played u10s to u13s. Stopped as i was juggling soccer and league and was doing a lot of rep for soccer so just couldnt do both in the end. Played primary school/high school for a couple of years as well.

Considered going back in my early 20s to play local shitkickers grade in Brisbane but ultimately I pussed out, hadn't played in a decade and figured I'd probably spend more time injured than on the field. Kinda regret that now looking back.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
U8's - U/18's

I was a small and fast kid. So played every position in the backs at one time or another.

Settled into no.6/7 at 13ys and stayed there.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Played 5/8th for my 1st club and loved it then got talked into joining this other team by a mate from school for a much better quality team but then they played me at 2nd row for half a season before doing a corey oates and playing wing the last 2 years. I loved running hard at people but was a bit of a pea heart with tackling bcos i grew up in a soccer family and started aged 11 so had zero technique. Odd still though, because it's kind of the thing I miss the most!

Lostboy

Lostboy

Feb 21, 2024
Had to play union till I was 15 there was no league team in my hometown.
Played every position but mostly hooker in league....and union actually.
Was selected for my state but I chose to go fishing and camping instead.....

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'd like to think I was a hooker in a prop forward's body.

I played League in Grade 6 and 7 before graduating to a Rah Rah school. I signed up for League at U/16s but only played a handful of games. Despite my love for the sport, I just didn't take it that seriously and played it out of enjoyment.

Still, my appreciation for the game grew after playing U/16s. I thought props just had to run hard, tackle hard and have a screw loose. I thought when Webby and Bulla carted the ball up, they were happy to sit back for the rest of the set knowing the work was done. I didn't realise there was a technique to running like a prop forward, the value of decoys, running different lines, timing your runs, positioning etc.. Once you're on the field, there really is nowhere to hide and there's always something you should be doing for your team. Whether it's acting as a support runner, running a decoy or getting into position to run a shape if you're sucking in the big ones you're letting the team down.

Always wanted to be a dummy half, but didn't have the fitness, the body or the massive chip on my shoulder to make it work. I just loved the idea of generating momentum, manipulating the ruck and setting things in motion for your halfback. Used to do extras on my dummy half passes and coming in from different angles.

I was just a depth forward in U/16s so had to know my place in the team. Think there was only ever one occassion where I got a go and it's been so romantacised in my memory that I remembered we scored off the back of it.

Then again, the only other memory I have of that specific game was rushing over to my family on the sidelines to get score updates on the Broncos - my priorities weren't quite there.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Played a bit of hooker, found it very easy tbh in terms of the cardio after playing football so much ( as the majority of English kids did ) but there wasnt really much in the way of league teams around where i'm from so dont really know how many levels below Cam Smith i was ( probably not many ).

Even up North, you probably have at minimum 1000 kids playing football for every kid that wants to play league, if not more. Pretty much the same with every sport in the UK.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Played a bit of hooker, found it very easy tbh in terms of the cardio after playing football so much ( as the majority of English kids did ) but there wasnt really much in the way of league teams around where i'm from so dont really know how many levels below Cam Smith i was ( probably not many ).

Even up North, you probably have at minimum 1000 kids playing football for every kid that wants to play league, if not more. Pretty much the same with every sport in the UK.
Surprisingly common tbh, had a few Hookers come in to different teams I was in from a soccer background that worked well in hooker, usually the shorter player and the taller players played Wing or Backrow and worked well there too with their fitness and speed.

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
The most important fact is the older I get, the better I was. Started out in league as a kid growing up, but ended up at a Union senior school so got caught up in that for those years. Always had a good turn of speed with athletics my major focus, so invariably got stuck at centre and wing the whole playing career. Women and other pursuits took me away from playing not long out of school, but kept a hand in by playing touch off and on over the years until a ruptured ACL screwed it all up.

Unread

Active Now

• Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.