February 23, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I like him.

Thought he did well in the centres in 2016 despite playing with serious injuries. Still very rough around the edges with his positioning if he wants to make a go of it in the centres but I'd take him over Pearson.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Form of Moga...

Hope he goes well. Desperately need options in outside backs with Oates likely bench riding.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think we would be stupid not to keep him tbh. He can cover a few positions, he is solid and reliable, and we havent really seen the best of him. On top of that, its not like we have that many promising centers knocking the door down behind him.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
I can’t think of the last time we had couple of decent options at left centre. I rate him and hope he makes tubs bird work for his spot if that’s where Wayne decides to play him

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
He's one of those players (a bit like glenn) who, whilst not a star, offers value for money with his consistency. You can't have prima donnas in every position, and a workhorse like opacic means you can maintain more of your rising stars, yet still fill a role with a consistent performance.
He's a great defender, and I think there's more upside in his game to come. That try to Pearson against the titans is a classic example of using your outside man. It was nothing special, but it's still easy to stuff up (re: Moga).
It looks like he's in with a shot this year and I hope he has the opportunity to take it.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I can’t think of the last time we had couple of decent options at left centre. I rate him and hope he makes tubs bird work for his spot if that’s where Wayne decides to play him
You clearly haven't been around this forum for the last 5 or so years... You'd be guaranteed to find at least 20 threads of Reed vs Copley debate. Thank God it's over. Now we have to deal with the Hunt vs Taylor debates of which NEITHER player is even contracted to the club

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Opacic reminds me a lot of Jack Reed. Whether that’s a compliment or not depends on personal preference though.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Opacic reminds me a lot of Jack Reed. Whether that’s a compliment or not depends on personal preference though.

Which Jack Reed? The one before his injuries or the one after?

I think reed was a little under appreciated at times.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Which Jack Reed? The one before his injuries or the one after?

I think reed was a little under appreciated at times.
I liked Jack Reed, I think he was great for us, in a very consistent but not brilliant way. Which I see in Oppa. I just know a lot of others aren’t massive fans.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I liked Jack Reed, I think he was great for us, in a very consistent but not brilliant way. Which I see in Oppa. I just know a lot of others aren’t massive fans.

Probably because he isnt a superstar.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
My biggest concern about Oppa is that we may not have good enough wingers to justify having a safe but not brilliant option at centre.

And as much as I rate Oppa (and I really do), we already have two fantastic centre options in Bird and Roberts. That said, can one of them transition to the left? That remains to be seen.

That also said, if Bird and Boyd had been fit, I would have loved to have seen this in a trial:

1. Roberts
2. Boyd
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Pearson / Isaako / Oates

I think that backline could be scarily potent. I really think that Roberts could transfer into an absolutely elite fullback. He has so much speed, elusiveness and a deadly pass that we don't get to see enough of.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
My biggest concern about Oppa is that we may not have good enough wingers to justify having a safe but not brilliant option at centre.

He is the type of player who Melbourne take on and get them to thrive, and Bellamy is a fan.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Opacic knows how to use a winger. Roberts is great, but Kahu is going to struggle getting the ball. Its one thing our centres have struggled to perform throughout our history despite being brilliant in other ways. Maybe it's precisely because of their individual skill, that they take on the line themselves than use their outside man. Hodges, falau, Roberts would let play die in a tackle than use their outside man. This is easily compensated by the other things they did, but it's something opacic seems deft at avoiding, and his wingers benefit from it.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He is the type of player who Melbourne take on and get them to thrive, and Bellamy is a fan.
Completely agree, but look at Melbourne’s wingers. Opacic would be incredible if his main gig was setting them up.

I don’t see that being such a great skill when your wingers are the ever reliable Kahu and the unknown commodity on the other side.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
And as much as I rate Oppa (and I really do), we already have two fantastic centre options in Bird and Roberts. That said, can one of them transition to the left? That remains to be seen.

That also said, if Bird and Boyd had been fit, I would have loved to have seen this in a trial:

1. Roberts
2. Boyd
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Pearson / Isaako / Oates

I think that backline could be scarily potent. I really think that Roberts could transfer into an absolutely elite fullback. He has so much speed, elusiveness and a deadly pass that we don't get to see enough of.
Any particular reason to dump Kahu?

I've got doubts Roberts would be as good a Fullback as a Centre, given the requirements of the position in terms of positioning, defense, bomb defusal, defensive line guidance, etc... but going with that idea, how about:

1. Roberts
2. Pearson / Isaako
3. Boyd
4. Bird
5. Kahu

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Opacic knows how to use a winger. Roberts is great, but Kahu is going to struggle getting the ball. Its one thing our centres have struggled to perform throughout our history despite being brilliant in other ways. Maybe it's precisely because of their individual skill, that they take on the line themselves than use their outside man. Hodges, falau, Roberts would let play die in a tackle than use their outside man. This is easily compensated by the other things they did, but it's something opacic seems deft at avoiding, and his wingers benefit from it.
I agree with you, but Roberts is improving this area I think

Active Now

• Battler
  • Lostboy
  • Scorchie
  • lynx000
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • bazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • KickHaas
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.