NEWS Forgotten Bronco playing for his future

He is the type of player who Melbourne take on and get them to thrive, and Bellamy is a fan.
Chambers, Curtis Scott, chayse blair and Justin Olam.

Bellamy may be a fan but he'd be moving to Melbourne to be the 3rd choice centre at best-just like he is here. It would have been a good choice 2 years ago before they got Scott and blair.

Bennett has obviously told opacic there's an opportunity here for him long term, and if bird isn't staying at centre then there will be a lot more opportunity here then there currently is down there.

The injury last year was just absolutely horrificly timed for his career. I think he would have had that centre spot locked down by now if he hadn't have got injured then...

Chambers, Curtis Scott, chayse blair and Justin Olam.

Bellamy may be a fan but he'd be moving to Melbourne to be the 3rd choice centre at best-just like he is here. It would have been a good choice 2 years ago before they got Scott and blair.

Bennett has obviously told opacic there's an opportunity here for him long term, and if bird isn't staying at centre then there will be a lot more opportunity here then there currently is down there.

The injury last year was just absolutely horrificly timed for his career. I think he would have had that centre spot locked down by now if he hadn't have got injured then...

Bellamy didnt want him to play center though. Think I've mentioned it before. They see him as back row or lock, which he is capable of playing. He also offers plenty of cover for wing and center as well.

And as much as I rate Oppa (and I really do), we already have two fantastic centre options in Bird and Roberts. That said, can one of them transition to the left? That remains to be seen.

That also said, if Bird and Boyd had been fit, I would have loved to have seen this in a trial:

1. Roberts
2. Boyd
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Pearson / Isaako / Oates

I think that backline could be scarily potent. I really think that Roberts could transfer into an absolutely elite fullback. He has so much speed, elusiveness and a deadly pass that we don't get to see enough of.
A back-line with three left wingers would definitely be a scary proposition :-)

And as much as I rate Oppa (and I really do), we already have two fantastic centre options in Bird and Roberts. That said, can one of them transition to the left? That remains to be seen.

That also said, if Bird and Boyd had been fit, I would have loved to have seen this in a trial:

1. Roberts
2. Boyd
3. Bird
4. Opacic
5. Pearson / Isaako / Oates

I think that backline could be scarily potent. I really think that Roberts could transfer into an absolutely elite fullback. He has so much speed, elusiveness and a deadly pass that we don't get to see enough of.

I’m a big fan of Roberts but I’ve never seen his feet leave the ground once to take a high ball. The littl nugget can’t jump to save himself. He’d make a terrible fullback but I agree he would be great on kick returns or sniffing for offloads.

Bellamy didnt want him to play center though. Think I've mentioned it before. They see him as back row or lock, which he is capable of playing. He also offers plenty of cover for wing and center as well.
I can see that as well, second row more then lock probably. But that'd be just as big a gamble for opacic. He'd be in the same situation regarding pecking order. Although there depth isn't as good in that area Stimson, kaufusi, k Bromwich, Hoffman (although probably retiring) and finucane certainly aren't slouches & even if 1 leaves this year (kaufusi sounds like he might be) I'm guessing Bellamy wouldn't risk not buying a seasoned campaigner in their spot as opacic isn't proven at nrl level in that position...

I think down the track, after bird comes back, he may be vying with Murphy and Oates for 4th interchange spot. He just needs to keep doing what he does. When it comes to application, he's what you want in a young player.

He has a better version in scott!

Like i said before, they didnt want him to play center. Toms a lot better footballer than he has shown for us really. All we have seen from him due to injury is his defence and how tough the bloke actually is playing through what he did.

Last edited:
I can see that as well, second row more then lock probably. But that'd be just as big a gamble for opacic. He'd be in the same situation regarding pecking order. Although there depth isn't as good in that area Stimson, kaufusi, k Bromwich, Hoffman (although probably retiring) and finucane certainly aren't slouches & even if 1 leaves this year (kaufusi sounds like he might be) I'm guessing Bellamy wouldn't risk not buying a seasoned campaigner in their spot as opacic isn't proven at nrl level in that position...

Where is Kaufusi going?

There were rumours Souths were going to go hard after him with critchons money...

Thing is with Melbourne, they generally seem to find the right replacement whenever they lose a player. Its incredible really the amount of run of the mill players they get who just shine in their system.

You're right ...

Consistently good before the injuries...

Consistently shit after the injuries...

You're right ...

Consistently good before the injuries...

Consistently shit after the injuries...

You're remembering things wrong.

Before the injuries he wasn't really that good. He had a great rookie season, but wasn't able to back it up. It wasn't until Bennett came along that we saw what Reed was capable of and that was after he started having problems with his shoulder. He had his moments but consistency was an issue before Bennett came.

In that 2015 season, defensively he was a rock with an average of 1.5 missed tackles a game, and attack wise he was more potent then what he was in the years prior. And that was with a fucked shoulder.

Unfortunately, that dislocated shoulder he suffered in the GF fucked him because he just wasn't able to recover.

Like i said before, they didnt want him to play center. Toms a lot better footballer than he has shown for us really. All we have seen from him due to injury is his defence and how tough the bloke actually is playing through what he did.

Yeah my bad , didn't scroll through. Obviously he has something that Bennett and bellamy like in a player. Maybe a David stagg type career !

Yeah my bad , didn't scroll through. Obviously he has something that Bennett and bellamy like in a player. Maybe a David stagg type career !

I dont think he is ever going to be a first grade regular, but he is an excellent depth player.

I dont think he is ever going to be a first grade regular, but he is an excellent depth player.
It all depends I guess. It looks like he is going to get the first month of the season to display his product. One never knows what vacancies may exist in the backline as the season progresses (injuries). A good initial four games may inject some momentum into his career. Bennett obviously rates him (as do I) and if he can finally avoid the injury virus, he could be an integral part of this squad.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Cavalo
  • Reds2011
  • ezpz
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Robboi_321
  • maddo
  • LGH
  • simplythebest
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • bert_lifts
  • mrtij
  • Broncosarethebest
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.